SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Opioid dependence may be on the rise in Australia due to the popular herbal product, Kamini

A worrying new trend is on the rise in Australia, as more and more people are becoming addicted to opioids after taking a popular herbal 'remedy'.

Kamini, also known as Kamini Vidrawan Ras, is a herbal medicine that is usually illegally imported from India. Many believe it can help them with their energy levels and it has seen an uptake in use by shift workers.

It contains opioids such as codeine and morphine in unknown quantities. Despite these substances having a sedative effect, it is often promoted as a stimulant.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has banned imports of Kamini but it can still be bought in some grocery stores and online.

A commentary published in the September Drug & Alcohol Review journal described how 12 patients in Queensland and 12 patients in Victoria presented to addiction clinics after taking Kamini.

EGiOWszq8WYvsLezt9yQy0wevTM2IE7F1K5o7_9_7FN22XnfRt0XSIsqrHOohSyIoWE36T5pQMGHgOsgyY9m3FhlkEn8v1THsJp_g41iL3_DUHQc8D7p07GqkM01Hci2k_YuoXh0Rk4lqspo1pSwSdmCGpfilGChVmckfXpUmD2wNFFX_drnudih1g

Addiction is becoming a serious problem in Australia. Image Credit: Pexels

The lead author of the paper, Dr Chris Tremonti, from St Vincent’s hospital’s alcohol and drug service in Sydney, said the increase in cases is worrying.

'Most people who use opioids or other substances have some awareness of what they’re taking,' Tremonti said. 'So it was startling that people were taking this and seemingly totally oblivious to the fact that it had opioids in it and so there was a high risk of dependence.'

Tremonti said many of those seeking help reported working for ride-share companies and used the substance to work long hours and get through shift work.

He said a significant number of those seeking help were from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka – communities that may be reluctant to seek medical care due to possible stigma attached to addiction.

What are opioids?

According to Live Science: Opioids are typically made from the pure sap, or resin, of the poppy plant. The natural compounds generally provide pain relief and induce sedation. Opioid compounds are available as pills and liquid solutions.

The main function of opioids is to relieve pain, but they also produce feelings of euphoria, which is a huge issue as they can cause people to become dependent on them and eventually start to experience opioid withdrawal symptoms if they suddenly stop taking the medication.

What are the potential risks of taking opioids?

Aside from the possibility of experiencing dependency on it, opioids may also cause fatal side effects.

Worldwide, about 500 000 deaths are attributable to drug use. According to the World Health Organisation, more than 70 per cent of these deaths are related to opioids, with more than 30 per cent of those deaths caused by overdose.

Opioids may also place immense strain on the body. As the dependency grows, the body adjusts by making opioids less effective. This can, in turn, lead to taking higher doses, which can result in overdose.

What are the treatment options available for dependence on opioids?

The safest method of detox is medical detox, which is a monitored and supervised stay in a hospital. It means that the person will not be exposed to any risks and serious symptoms can be treated at any time.

If you think you or someone you know may have developed an addiction after taking Kamini or any other substance containing opioids, please don't hesitate to reach out for help.

In Australia, the Opioid Treatment Line is at 1800 642 428 or call the National Alcohol and Other Drug Hotline on 1800 250 015. In the UK, Action on Addiction is available on 0300 330 0659. In the US, SAMHSA’s National Helpline is at 800-662-4357.

Stay safe, members. And remember, always speak to your doctor about any lifestyle changes, including herbal supplements.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy, BJM and Ricci
I hate medication unless It's Absolutely necessary.

Over the last 2 years I've had so much antibiotics maybe 40 double courses I'm pretty sure they no longer work for me .

After my surgery in May I was given strong pain meds which my daughter said were opioid, yes it helped with pain but also knocked me out and made me very nauseous.

I now have nerve pain which my Surgeon believes is from the large stitches I have in my abdomen stitched into a nerve.

The prescription I've been given I was warned to watch out for side affects.
Nauseous
Depression
Dizziness
Tiredness
Anxiety
Suicidal thoughts
The list goes on, I have the script sitting here , I'm still weighing up do I take them or just deal with the severe pain.

Reactions: Ezzy
I hate medication unless It's Absolutely necessary.

Over the last 2 years I've had so much antibiotics maybe 40 double courses I'm pretty sure they no longer work for me .

After my surgery in May I was given strong pain meds which my daughter said were opioid, yes it helped with pain but also knocked me out and made me very nauseous.

I now have nerve pain which my Surgeon believes is from the large stitches I have in my abdomen stitched into a nerve.

The prescription I've been given I was warned to watch out for side affects.
Nauseous
Depression
Dizziness
Tiredness
Anxiety
Suicidal thoughts
The list goes on, I have the script sitting here , I'm still weighing up do I take them or just deal with the severe pain.
I am with you Suzanne rose when it comes to medications.

Some years ago following a back operation, the pain was so intense l was kept on morphine for the week l was in hospital. ( the op was repeated 10 days later releasing the pain l had ). Reading my medical notes was interesting. Staff found me sitting on the floor, asked me what l was going down there & l replied, 'l don't know.' My children said l made phone calls to them, which l knew nothing about & when they come to see me l stopped talking during a conversation, nodded off & then woke up taking up where l left off.

Strong meds can affect different people in different ways we know. Are Panadol Forte or similar an option for you? I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain that such medications have been offered to you.

The possible side affects you have listed are very concerning. If you are already semi-depressed & anxious or tired, will this only multiply the feelings for you? Suicidal thoughts can be mild to very serious as l am sure you are aware. I think you stated that you also have a large family which is a consideration before taking these medications too.

Can l respectfully ask? Is there a reason why stitches are adhered to a nerve, is this a normal practice or only needed for your type of surgery? I do not wish to invade your privacy with this question & please tell me to take a hike.

I hope you are able to make a decision you are comfortable with. Pain can be so debilitating.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I am with you Suzanne rose when it comes to medications.

Some years ago following a back operation, the pain was so intense l was kept on morphine for the week l was in hospital. ( the op was repeated 10 days later releasing the pain l had ). Reading my medical notes was interesting. Staff found me sitting on the floor, asked me what l was going down there & l replied, 'l don't know.' My children said l made phone calls to them, which l knew nothing about & when they come to see me l stopped talking during a conversation, nodded off & then woke up taking up where l left off.

Strong meds can affect different people in different ways we know. Are Panadol Forte or similar an option for you? I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain that such medications have been offered to you.

The possible side affects you have listed are very concerning. If you are already semi-depressed & anxious or tired, will this only multiply the feelings for you? Suicidal thoughts can be mild to very serious as l am sure you are aware. I think you stated that you also have a large family which is a consideration before taking these medications too.

Can l respectfully ask? Is there a reason why stitches are adhered to a nerve, is this a normal practice or only needed for your type of surgery? I do not wish to invade your privacy with this question & please tell me to take a hike.

I hope you are able to make a decision you are comfortable with. Pain can be so debilitating.
I had a simple gallbladder operation done in Nov 2019, the surgeon suggested to remove my umbilical hernia very easy operation, even though it never bothered me. It was a 30 second discussion, he told me nothing else , no consequences ect.

The day after surgery he said gallbladder came out easy but the hernia was difficult and he had to also put mesh in.

I basically had an infection from a few weeks later
He was a rude and obnoxious man wouldn't listen to me when I told him something wasn't right.

By July 2020 I saw another surgeon who started along course of antibiotics, my belly was so red and infected with pus pouring out of my belly button.

April 2021 he did a debridement I spent 5 days in hospital
It didn't work

May this year he had to remove the mesh, he had no choice and it's not an operation they like to do.

He removed the mesh..he removed my whole umbilicus so no more belly button and he had to remove 8cm of my abdominal wall.

He should have put another piece of mesh in but due to the chronic infection couldn't. He needed to do something as I had a huge hole with no protection for my ogans.

He needed to put in a lot of stitches and some large stitches from one side of my muscle to the other and pull them together, looks like a stitch was sewn into a nerve. I get severe cramping like something is twisted and severe burning even when sitting or getting upand even when just standing.

When that particular area is touched its light a lightening bolt, he is hoping as time goes it will ease if it doesn't then more surgery will be needed to remove stitches and put a new mesh in.

The first surgeon used a mesh that was recalled 5 years prior that was notorious for infection

He had also tacked n stitched the mesh to my bowel which should not have happened

He had never actually gotten my written consent to do the hernia operation

Panadeine forte makes me sick and won't work for nerve damage anyway, they want me to use Lyrica

Last edited: