Op-shop or luxury boutique? Queensland thrift store raises eyebrows with $500 designer footwear

Who doesn't love a good bargain? Aussies sure do, and they're no strangers to the joys of op-shop treasures. Scouring the shelves for quality items at a fraction of the original price is practically a national pastime.

But even the thriftiest of shoppers can be left scratching their heads at the prices found in second-hand stores.

Take this Queensland op-shop, for example. They had a pair of designer shoes on offer for a whopping $500, even after a massive discount! The shoes in question were men's loafers from none other than Christian Louboutin, the luxurious brand renowned for their red-soled heels.

Originally priced at a jaw-dropping $1483, the op-shop had to slash the price due to a lack of interest.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 3.33.51 PM.png
A Queensland op-shop raised eyebrows by placing a $500 price tag on a pair of discounted designer shoes. Credit: Facebook.

It's not every day you find high-end designer shoes in a second-hand store, so when a local Palm Beach resident spotted them for sale, they couldn't resist taking a picture and sharing it on Facebook.

The post quickly went viral, with the resident humorously quipping, 'You know when Palmy has gone really upmarket... designer shoes at Vinnies.'

Naturally, when news of the $500 price tag for second-hand designer shoes hit the internet, people had a lot to say about it. Some were not impressed, feeling that such a high price was inappropriate for donated goods.

'They need to remember they are selling donated goods, not operating a boutique store. [Such] a rip-off,' one person commented. Others shared similar frustrations, noting that op-shops should offer more affordable prices for people who are struggling.

However, there were also those who came to the op shop's defence. They pointed out that the proceeds from such sales go to a worthy cause, supporting community programs and assisting those in need. Designer and luxury items like these Christian Louboutin loafers can often draw in more affluent customers or collectors, generating a higher income for the charity.

Sure, it may seem like a steep price for a pair of second-hand shoes, but it's important to remember that op-shops are not just about finding cheap items. They play a vital role in supporting local communities, especially those in need.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 3.33.44 PM.png
The men's loafers, by designer Christian Louboutin, were originally priced at $1483. Credit: Neiman Marcus.

It's worth noting that it's unclear whether the Christian Louboutin loafers were brand new or gently worn. However, they were initially priced at a whopping $1483, which is their original retail value.

The loafers are called 'Dandyrocks' and have a jacquard fabric upper with gold-tone studded inlay at the heel and a stacked heel. They're made in Italy and come with the iconic Louboutin red leather outsole.

For die-hard Louboutin fans on the hunt for a designer bargain, these op-shop loafers may be the find of a lifetime. But for most budget-conscious shoppers, $500 shoes - no matter how luxurious - might feel more like a rip-off than a steal.

Either way, it's clear that op-shops can be a treasure trove of surprises, and you never know what gems you might stumble upon. Happy hunting!

Key Takeaways

• Recently, a Queensland op-shop made headlines for selling a pair of Christian Louboutin loafers for $500.
  • While some shoppers were outraged at the high price, others defended the pricing strategy, arguing that the proceeds go to a worthy cause that supports community programs and assists those in need.

This isn't the first time that an op-shop has caused a stir with its pricing decisions. Just last month, a Vinnies store in Sydney's inner-west raised eyebrows when it was found selling a Proenza Schouler T-shirt for $350.

This designer label usually sells items ranging from $1000 to $3000 when brand new. Understandably, many frustrated shoppers expressed their displeasure with the high price tag.

However, the store quickly responded by amending the price to a more reasonable $100 and apologised for the error. It's a good reminder that pricing mistakes can happen, even in op-shops.

So, it's always worth speaking up if you think something is priced unfairly, as you might just help the store correct its error and make the item more accessible to others.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 3.33.37 PM.png
A Vinnies shop in Sydney's inner-west came under fire after a customer spotted a designer t-shirt for $350. Credit: Facebook.

Op-shops play a crucial role in supporting local communities and helping those in need. By generating income through sales of donated items, they can fund community programs, provide job opportunities, and offer assistance to vulnerable individuals and families.

But where do we draw the line when it comes to pricing? Should op-shops be selling designer items at premium prices to generate higher revenue, or should they focus on offering affordable items for people on a tight budget?

What do you think? Have you ever come across a pricey item at an op-shop that left you scratching your head? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I live in what is know as a Centrelink Suburb due to an ageing population and a lot of unemployed citizens who can't afford to shop at department stores. Prior to Covid all the op-shops (8) in my area were reasonably priced but have now (except for 2 shops) upped their prices to a point where people on a Centrelink payments cannot afford to buy their goods. Although the Salvos store does sell Children's clothes for a $1.00 each which is a big help to families facing a challenging time but on the other hand they take any designer or expensive brand clothes and sell them through a website to get the extra money for them that they know people in the area can't afford to pay.

• Sad
Reactions: MindyMac
I live in what is know as a Centrelink Suburb due to an ageing population and a lot of unemployed citizens who can't afford to shop at department stores. Prior to Covid all the op-shops (8) in my area were reasonably priced but have now (except for 2 shops) upped their prices to a point where people on a Centrelink payments cannot afford to buy their goods. Although the Salvos store does sell Children's clothes for a $1.00 each which is a big help to families facing a challenging time but on the other hand they take any designer or expensive brand clothes and sell them through a website to get the extra money for them that they know people in the area can't afford to pay.
What you have said about the charity shops selling expensive items or really lovely items online is 'very true.' I did a search on a search for a cooking book, not that I need it and I'm not going to say the name as the retail prices is double, but I was surprised to see one of the charity shops selling it online with a hefty price tag and then postage on this. The postage price being asked isn't too bad but enough to cover the actual postage & wrapping. I saw other items there including clothing, handbags, wallets. Online shopping can be favourable but also not favourable as well. The charity stores have $High Expectations these days.

I just saw that they lowered their sale price on the cook book. Maybe it will go down again and I will buy it.

The same charity store wants $500 each for these clothing items. My guess is that the store that sells these could not sell them and like many stores even large retail stores donated the items as Tax Donation Losses.

1683698467988.png 1683698505766.png 1683698572561.png

Last edited:
Charity shops are serious now selling expensive items for $Price Hikes including really lovely items online is 'very true.' I did a search on a search for a cooking book, not that I need it and I'm not going to say the name as the retail prices is double, but I was surprised to see one of the charity shops selling it online with a hefty price tag and then postage on this. The postage price being asked isn't too bad but enough to cover the actual postage & wrapping. I saw other items there including clothing, handbags, wallets. Online shopping can be favourable but also not favourable as well. The charity stores have $High Expectations these days.

I just saw that they lowered their sale price on the cook book I have my eye on. Maybe it will go down again and I will buy it.

The same charity store wants $500 each for these clothing items. My guess is that the store that sells these could not sell them and like many stores even large retail stores donated the items as Tax Donation Losses.

1683698467988.png

1683698505766.png

1683698572561.png