One Australian state’s major ingredient shift to Bunnings’ sausage sizzle sparked a fiery debate among users – which side are YOU on?

We all know and love Bunnings’ iconic sausage sizzles – but did you know that one Australian state serves them a little differently to what the rest of us are used to?

A controversial clip went viral after revealing how Bunnings stores in Western Australia sell their snags on bread rolls instead of single slices of bread.

A spokesperson from Bunnings confirmed that community groups, who run the retail giant’s sausage sizzle stands in WA, provide bread rolls to use rather than bread slices.

The news caught the attention of thousands on TikTok after @PerthDudeFood shared a video about it.

NwVJ_mV5gwCMlSUdl_i-g5aox7ZyjHdMJZFyNZMeNMBJy3Ujyu16rz4U01yShgmqK080PaAyK9N6Us9qqmmR3EiyJetskyBP6_eAFiJ_w7gl-bNrVAHdfhQeygOCxUj7MC3c_MyZ1PA8zaTQdw

The classic sausage sizzles from Bunnings. Image Credit: Bunnings

“It’s supposed to be a slice of bread…” one user commented, to which the TikTok foodie responded: “Western Australia is the only state that provides rolls for our sausage sizzles. All the other states use bread.”

Plenty of proud Western Australians defended the decision to use bread rolls instead of bread slices.

“Slices of bread are a big pass. It has to be rolls or nothing.” wrote one user.

“We aren’t cheap in WA!” chimed another.

“Wasn’t this the reason we had the hard border? To keep out the ‘flat bread believers’?” teased a third.

“Bunnings’ head office is in Belmont WA, so we’re doing it right. All the other states are doing wrong!” added one more.

j3KmSXW6RTfrqQX6a3l-wrWwakvpdp950dwkeINCYi0qgaPhit-h_HTB8V2ypXc20YtRcPptm1Cslt0YM8Da5J7SUt3p2hV2pRCXCh93PbNtYzV0YE0YU_BQrE-n3FzPJLZyj1Gqn6bgzCEFcA

Bunnings stores in WA opt for bread rolls. Image Credit: @littlesausage_lola

However, the revelation didn’t sit well with several other Aussies, insisting that bread slices have always been the best way to go.

“Nooooo… I’m sorry that's more American. I'm embarrassed for all you "fancy" folk.” hissed one person.

“I'm in WA and would much prefer snags in bread slices.” commented another.

“Unpopular opinion here but I like my sausage between bread.” said a third.

A fourth explained: “Hotdog buns are for hotdogs. Bread slices are for sausage sizzles. It’s not that complicated…”

“Rolls are TOO much bread.” argued another.

Which side are you on in this super contentious issue? Bread rolls or slices? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Watch the full TikTok video below:

Video Credit: @perthdudefood

Sponsored
I much prefer my sausage on a slice of bread than a bun....way too much bread in a bun. Also sometimes the buns can stale up quicker esp hotdog buns and who likes a stale bun. Also all these sausage sizzles are run by charitable organisations......for much needed funds for their organisations..... so it stands to reason putting the sausage on a much cheaper slice of bread than a much more expensive bun has the end result of more profit. Definitely the way to go

We all know and love Bunnings’ iconic sausage sizzles – but did you know that one Australian state serves them a little differently to what the rest of us are used to?

A controversial clip went viral after revealing how Bunnings stores in Western Australia sell their snags on bread rolls instead of single slices of bread.

A spokesperson from Bunnings confirmed that community groups, who run the retail giant’s sausage sizzle stands in WA, provide bread rolls to use rather than bread slices.

The news caught the attention of thousands on TikTok after @PerthDudeFood shared a video about it.

NwVJ_mV5gwCMlSUdl_i-g5aox7ZyjHdMJZFyNZMeNMBJy3Ujyu16rz4U01yShgmqK080PaAyK9N6Us9qqmmR3EiyJetskyBP6_eAFiJ_w7gl-bNrVAHdfhQeygOCxUj7MC3c_MyZ1PA8zaTQdw

“It’s supposed to be a slice of bread…” one user commented, to which the TikTok foodie responded: “Western Australia is the only state that provides rolls for our sausage sizzles. All the other states use bread.”

Plenty of proud Western Australians defended the decision to use bread rolls instead of bread slices.

“Slices of bread are a big pass. It has to be rolls or nothing.” wrote one user.

“Wasn’t this the reason we had the hard border? To keep out the ‘flat bread believers’?” teased a third.

“Bunnings’ head office is in Belmont WA, so we’re doing it right. All the other states are doing wrong!” added one more.

j3KmSXW6RTfrqQX6a3l-wrWwakvpdp950dwkeINCYi0qgaPhit-h_HTB8V2ypXc20YtRcPptm1Cslt0YM8Da5J7SUt3p2hV2pRCXCh93PbNtYzV0YE0YU_BQrE-n3FzPJLZyj1Gqn6bgzCEFcA

However, the revelation didn’t sit well with several other Aussies, insisting that bread slices have always been the best way to go.

“Nooooo… I’m sorry that's more American. I'm embarrassed for all you "fancy" folk.” hissed one person.

A fourth explained: “Hotdog buns are for hotdogs. Bread slices are for sausage sizzles. It’s not that complicated…”

Which side are you on in this super contentious issue? Bread rolls or slices? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

I’m for the ‘slice of bread’. I agree with the comment re too much bread in a roll. I wonder if this is leading to more fillings to make the roll look full. Then, where does it stop? ….. Cost would have to increase.
There’s enough pressure on the wonderful volunteers as it is.
So, I say, ‘Stay with bread!!!” Yum, I can taste the snag and mustard sauce now.

Definitely prefer the Bread. I'm WA. I find there's too much of the dough in rolls and it doesn't fit the snag! It requires a second snag to make it worthwhile, or I ask the seller to dig out the middle of the roll and toss it away.

I much prefer my sausage on a slice of bread than a bun....way too much bread in a bun. Also sometimes the buns can stale up quicker esp hotdog buns and who likes a stale bun. Also all these sausage sizzles are run by charitable organisations......for much needed funds for their organisations..... so it stands to reason putting the sausage on a much cheaper slice of bread than a much more expensive bun has the end result of more profit. Definitely the way to go
Agree with you wholeheartedly. AND I live in W.A. Bread rolls are for Hot Dogs!

Reactions: Ricci and Maurie7
I have one thing to say,these sausage sizzles are for Community Clubs to raise money Rolls cut into profits for the kids footy club or Girl guides, bred much cheaper, have volunteered at many Sizzles🌭 no👨‍🍳😀🇦🇺👍
Maybe they haave a deal for buns costing less than bread. Many bakeries donate bread at reduced prices.

Reactions: Ricci
I agree, for the same reason that I prefer a ‘thin and crispy base’ pizza rather than a ‘pan fried’ version. Way too much bread (in bread rolls) and too much pastry (in pan pizzas) for my liking OR my good health!

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
Serving a sausage in a roll makes it lunch. When sausage sizzles were everywhere in WA, not just Bunnings, they were always served in a roll. With the amount of sauce, mustard and onions included, it needa a roll to handle the fillings.
I wonder if families in other states make a Bunnings visit and sausage sizzle a regular Saturday lunch event.

While have no qualms about the sizzle, I do wish they would a thick sausage and not one the cardboard tasting ones. while know of a lot them are for a good cause. After my tongue cheek remarks re bed wetting , I am now waiting patiently for the flak that invariably follows any negative thoughts or ideas.

Last edited:
Definitely bread for me ! Not only cheaper than rolls & less bread so healthier but also easier to prepare because buns need to be cut open, don't they? Right now though, I'm just glad today is Friday which means I can go to Bunnings tomorrow 🤣

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
For God's sake ... THIS is the most important thing occupying people's minds?
Get a life!
When you are trying to raise much needed funds for your activity......yes it can be the most foremost thing on your mind....We have a life and we like to donate to our time to charitable organisations.

While have no qualms about the sizzle, I do wish they would a thick sausage and not one the cardboard tasting ones. while know of a lot them are for a good cause. After my tongue cheek remarks re bed wetting , I am now waiting patiently for the flak that invariably follows any negative thoughts or ideas.
I hate "plastic" sausages....I too wish all of them used better quality ones.