One Aussie woke up to find $58 million in his bank account – what he did next surprised…well, everyone!

Members, we want to ask you: What would you do if you woke up one day and discovered that you were suddenly $58 million richer? Would you go on a shopping spree with the money you just acquired, or would you save it? Or would you send it back to where it came from, or would you hop on a plane and disappear?

Well, one Aussie man had to decide just that when he woke up and checked his bank account. The Aussie found that someone else's $58 million was now in his hands.

1mbC4cBJgUTIf96KD2-MKlouUZxszt5v_vhT8tRAl0es-EfLDWQiIjnQXScl7DwW1-0GAkVD1hygjexfLLzJmOoHF4yEWsndH0j3QvcSbzEH0lSJ1PugQukYfGLJx7sMP2q_bCr3nc7mCBfYOl0SIURDVq_BItQAywCNPfnnQBj-WgnMtfUqh7QJ3Q

One man awoke to discover an unexpected windfall of several million dollars in his bank account. Credit: Boss Hunting. (Stock photo)

Jess, the man's girlfriend, was the one who shared the story on social media. 'My boyfriend woke up with $58 million of someone else's money in his bank account this morning,' she wrote in a tweet.

But, much to her surprise, what he did next was not what she thought he would do.

'And rather than take the money and run, he opted to call the bank and tell them of the error. We could be living on our island somewhere by now. Sad.'

Jess went on to say that the funds were actually a collection of accounts that her boyfriend now has authority over, rather than $58 million in 'liquid cash'.

Of course, it's very clear that when Jess indicated that she wanted her boyfriend to accept the money, she wasn't actually serious—after all, it's illegal.

Fortunately, the rest of her Twitter followers immediately caught on to the humour of the situation and provided their own cheeky and sarcastic responses. Others commended the man's incredibly honest behaviour, while some said he should be rewarded monetarily for returning the cash.

'He's either the best boyfriend or the worst boyfriend,' one user jokingly tweeted, while a second added: 'What an honest bloke, good on him! But 58 million, WOW!'

'WHAT the hell Jess, like everyone's saying, really deserves a cool million for his honesty here,' a third joined the conversation, with a fourth adding: 'Is there a finder's fee? Surely a cheeky one per cent to return it to its rightful owner wouldn't be missed?'

It's not the first time a huge sum of money has been deposited into an Australian bank account by mistake. Last year, two sisters in Melbourne went on a shopping frenzy after they discovered that $10.5 million had been inadvertently put into one of their bank accounts.

In May 2021, while trying to handle a refund of only $100, Crypto.com, one of the world's largest cryptocurrency trading platforms, made a clerical error and sent the money to Thevamanogari instead.

However, someone typed an account number in the payment box, which resulted in the enormous cash being moved to another account by mistake rather than being refunded.

Following the company's realisation of its error, legal action was taken against Thevamanogari and her sister.

2wBcqm6LVxdpRujjZyEjGUHw4NtGp3ulFIY0-uRS3r56xz-nPUNAd8ZEdYNUHMwot7pT3ZPg00dZKMBLX-DGDrPHZEvm9HXF4NatwIvpdazqGQjgP6MTsgG23cny-7Bf5IfIN8_mPGmuctgoU3hXdGzhqoLtusUkn_8hiMLN2el0mB8vrovfjfh5fg

A cryptocurrency company sends $10.5 million to an Australian woman by mistake. Credit: Rafael Henrique/SOPA Images/REX/Shutterstock.

According to court documents, the error was found during an audit in December 2021, but there was only one problem: the sisters had already spent a portion of the money.

The court found that Manivel put the $10,1 million into a joint account after the mistake last year. The money was then taken out of two accounts in February of this year to buy a $1.35 million property in Craigieburn.

Now, the crypto company has scored a partial victory in their legal battle, as a judge in Victoria's Supreme Court has determined that the luxurious residence must be sold and the proceeds returned to the business.

In October, the court will resume hearings.

It's rather shocking how simple it is to accidentally send hundreds of millions of dollars in the blink of an eye in this day and age, isn't it?

We can't deny feeling a twinge of envy whenever we hear of someone waking up to find they're suddenly millions of dollars richer, but we also know that with such great wealth comes great responsibility, not to mention serious legal repercussions.

So what do you think about these stories, folks? Would you do the same if you were in their shoes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Always be honest, we know its not our money, open a high interest account and put it there so you can return it to them when they contact you. Any interest earned can be your payment. I recieved money once in an account l wanted to close, as we were retiring from our work, went to bank explained, had no idea whose money was as didn’t do business with anyone in Darwin. Long story short, two months later bank said, just close the account we carn’t find whose money it is, no one has come forward, and we carn’t find where it came from.

I would have to return it. It is not worth being scared of life because the authorities are chasing you. And if I spent it the court will force me to pay it back. I would rather live a peaceful life with my limited funds and I would be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Always be honest, we know its not our money, open a high interest account and put it there so you can return it to them when they contact you. Any interest earned can be your payment. I recieved money once in an account l wanted to close, as we were retiring from our work, went to bank explained, had no idea whose money was as didn’t do business with anyone in Darwin. Long story short, two months later bank said, just close the account we carn’t find whose money it is, no one has come forward, and we carn’t find where it came from.

Honesty is the only way to live, otherwise blood pressure would hit the roof, heart attack would be on the cards, stroke would be lurking around the corner ....no thanks!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cagey
All too late for me to run anywhere now, but the idea of placing it in an trust account while being sorted is a good one. Return the money when sorted the interest is yours for your honesty & trouble.

Reactions: Senor
That seems a very reasonable answer. Certainly it is not your money but someone has' lent' it to you. Until they come to claim it you should do what is reasonable. An interest producing account with the money shown as intact is at least showing the searcher that you have it for them when they claim it. Giving it back to the bank just means that they are increasing their profits as the result of their own mistake and that should not be done. Where else would you make a 'profit' from your own errors?

HONESTY is ALWAYS the best policy. I could not live any other way. Just imagine such a thing being on your mind 24 hours a day. The answers before mine are spot on. I think about heart attacks right now just being honest. I'd be a nervous wreck. Money is evil when it is not yours to spend. I shudder @ the thought how anyone would do such an evil deed without a conscience but they DO. As sure as swearing on my life I'd never have a moments peace until my end, then to face The Pearly Gates????? I'd have been good all my life , then stuffed it all up with just one horrific deed because of GREED.

Reactions: Defiant540
Honesty is my ONLY policy, to the smallest thing!!
What about WHITE lies?? Not even exist in my vocabulary. One single lie, will have to become many, many lies. Not for me!!! It’s so good to have a clean conscience 😊😊

Last edited:
Honesty is my ONLY policy, to the smallest think!!
What about WHITE lies?? Not even exist in my vocabulary. One single lie, will have to become many, many lies. Not for me!!! It’s so good to have a clean conscience 😊😊
Yes honesty is the best policy and I to would return said money but as for white lies, unless you are a Seventh Day Adventist, most people tell white lies to their children/grandchildren all the time when they encourage them to believe in The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. I for one will never stop this tradition in my family as the looks of joy on children's faces they receive Eggs, Money and Presents are worth more to me than any money in the world.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Yes honesty is the best policy and I to would return said money but as for white lies, unless you are a Seventh Day Adventist, most people tell white lies to their children/grandchildren all the time when they encourage them to believe in The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. I for one will never stop this tradition in my family as the looks of joy on children's faces they receive Eggs, Money and Presents are worth more to me than any money in the world.
No, I’m not a Seven Day Adventist. But I don’t believe in lying, either a big or a small lie. 😊

No, I’m not a Seven Day Adventist. But I don’t believe in lying, either a big or a small lie. 😊
Well aren't you just too good to be true.
I don't believe in lying either, in fact my husband had commented that I am too honest for my own good sometimes.
However I would rather tell a white lie, if the only alternative was to hurt somebody else and actually gain nothing by telling the truth.
Not everything in life is black or white.
Have you ever considered how pompous you sound

Well aren't you just too good to be true.
I don't believe in lying either, in fact my husband had commented that I am too honest for my own good sometimes.
However I would rather tell a white lie, if the only alternative was to hurt somebody else and actually gain nothing by telling the truth.
Not everything in life is black or white.
Have you ever considered how pompous you sound
😁😁 You can call me whatever you like, but my conscience has been trained to just been truthful. I wouldn’t like anyone to lie to me, so why should I lie to others? I’m not pompous, I’m just honest. Is that hard to accept?? Lies have to be covered by other lies. That’s the world we live in, unfortunately, and lying become a normal thing. Maybe that’s why it’s so difficult for people to accept that some choose not to lie.
If lying is your choice, so be it. 😊

😁😁 You can call me whatever you like, but my conscience has been trained to just been truthful. I wouldn’t like anyone to lie to me, so why should I lie to others? I’m not pompous, I’m just honest. Is that hard to accept?? Lies have to be covered by other lies. That’s the world we live in, unfortunately, and lying become a normal thing. Maybe that’s why it’s so difficult for people to accept that some choose not to lie.
If lying is your choice, so be it. 😊
I do think I said that I also prefer to tell the truth and almost always do, but believe that there is no need to be brutally honest and hurt someone else when there is no need to.

I do think I said that I also prefer to tell the truth and almost always do, but believe that there is no need to be brutally honest and hurt someone else when there is no need to.
Who said you need to be brutal with your honesty? I’m not. Honesty brings trust. Nothing is more fulfilling to me than knowing that people trusts me.

Sometimes rather than hurt someone the truth needs to be stretched a little. Those who say they never lie mustn't ever comment on anything for fear of hurting or insulting someone.