Olympics officers apologise over opening ceremony controversies

The 2024 Paris Olympic Games are a global spectacle and a celebration of human achievement and international camaraderie.

However, the grandeur of the event does not make it immune to controversy or error.

The latest Olympic opening ceremony was no exception, as it became the centre of heated backlash from spectators worldwide.

The ceremony, designed to dazzle and unite, sparked outrage among Christian and Catholic religious groups.

The bone of contention was a banquet scene that bore a resemblance to Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.

The scene featured an actor portraying the Greek god Dionysus, surrounded by a table full of drag queens.

Religious groups condemned the act and called it 'a mockery of Christianity'.

compressed-dionysus.jpeg
The controversial depiction of The Last Supper earned the ire of religious groups. Image Credit: Getty Images

Theatre director Thomas Jolly, known for his avant-garde approach, choreographed the scene.

While the intention was to celebrate community spirit, the execution struck a chord with viewers who felt their religious beliefs were disrespected.

In response to the uproar, 2024 Olympics spokesperson Anne Descamps extended an olive branch.

'There was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. The opening ceremony tried to celebrate community tolerance. We believe we achieved this ambition,' Descamps shared.

'If people have taken any offence, we are really sorry.'

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) echoed this sentiment and supported Descamps's apology.

'In the daily press briefing, the organising committee said that there was never any intention to show disrespect towards any religious group or belief,' they reiterated.

'The organising committee also said that if anyone was offended by certain scenes, this was completely unintentional and they were sorry.'

Unfortunately, the banquet scene was not the only mishap that marred the ceremony.

The Olympic flag was hoisted upside down during the opening ceremony's final act, which became the subject of social media chatter.

On the other hand, South Korean athletes experienced an identity crisis after being introduced as the North Korean delegation.

As their boat sailed on the Seine, the announcer referred to them as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea—the official name for North Korea—in both French and English.

The organisers promptly apologised for the mistake.

IOC president Thomas Bach assured he would meet with South Korea's leader, Yoon Suk-Yeol, to address the incident.

These blunders serve as a reminder that even the most meticulously planned events can go awry.

These incidents also highlight the importance of cultural sensitivity and the need to anticipate how global audiences might perceive creative expression.
Key Takeaways

• The 2024 Paris Olympics opening ceremony organisers issued an apology following backlash from religious groups over a scene resembling The Last Supper.
  • Religious groups considered the inclusion of the Greek god Dionysus and drag queens as a mockery of Christianity.
  • The 2024 Olympics spokesperson assured that there was no intention to disrespect any religious group, and the ceremony aimed to celebrate community spirit.
  • Several other blunders occurred during the opening ceremony, including the Olympic flag being raised upside down and South Korean athletes being introduced as North Korean delegates.
How do you feel about the Olympic Games opening ceremony? We invite you to share your thoughts and insights in the comments section below.

Meanwhile, stay updated with the 2024 Olympic Games and see Australia's standings here.

Sponsored
I had no problem with the Opening Ceromony . The Last Supper was the first day of the Celebration of Passover and The Festival of Dionysus, Greek God of wine, theatre, and parties. So both were Celebrations .The rest I enjoyed

I had no problem with the Opening Ceromony . The Last Supper was the first day of the Celebration of Passover and The Festival of Dionysus, Greek God of wine, theatre, and parties. So both were Celebrations .The rest I enjoyed
What? Even though it was on board boats on the Seine? Cannot see the relevance to sport.

Revolting and makes a bad taste for a sport which should be free of politics and religion.

Not watching. Applauding advertisers pulling out from sponsorship.

Reactions: trishlam
I honestly can’t believe why folks are jumping up and down about it. It’s not offensive at all,in my opinion. That said,I don’t see the point of it at all! In fact,I didn’t see the point of most of the stupid inclusions in the whole opening ceremony! It was ugly,dreary,boring and pointless. I loved the opening ceremony…..no clue which….when the arrow was fired to light the torch. I think the whole world sighed a breath of relief when the archer didn’t miss! 🤣🤣

Incorrect, this is Bijlert's painting. View attachment 55035
You can clearly see the difference.

There is no 'Feast (or Banquet) of the Gods' paintings that are similar enough to be the inspiration for the Olympic presentation ahead of Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper.'

Though I am an atheist myself, I found the presentation appeared grossly insensitive toward Christians.

I can not see how any artistic director would have been unaware of this.
I acknowledge that I copied & attached gbaerken's post and scenes as shown above to ensure the scenes could be viewed here.

Please have a close look at the 2 scenes and consider the people depicted, their gestures, the angles and directions they are facing and other things obvious to a viewer.

I did this and believe that no literate individual could plead that he/she was unaware of the possibility of causing offence to about 1/3 of the world's population.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801-123430~2.png
    Screenshot_20240801-123430~2.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240801-123456.png
    Screenshot_20240801-123456.png
    499.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: trishlam
As usual, I am the 1%. I thought it was fabulous! Very artistic! I did not pick up on the religious strife ...could not be WOKE stuff could it?! LOL. Anywho, a well done from me!

Will you "religious" nutters stop? You are conflating a Bacchanalian feast with the Last Supper for no reason other than that elements possibly, maybe look similar to that painting by Len from Vinci. The painter wasn't even at the last supper.

Go boil your heads and stop spouting bollocks out of the back of your stained underpants!

• Angry
Reactions: Ingot
The best explanation I have seen so far of the significance and symbolism of what happened at part of the Olympic Games opening ceremony from a Christian perspective. The explanations have been well sourced and are easily proven.

I agree with the many who have expressed outrage and hurt at what happened this year. It is the culmination of several Olympic openings and presentations that have been 'off colour' to say the least. As a Christian I am totally disgusted at the indecent spectacle showed during times when children could be expected to be watching! Parents, be on your guard. Protect your children because society doesn't seem to be doing much to protect them.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it is a duck. What a poor show and a poor excuse for an apology.I don’t want to even watch the sporting achievements after such a disgraceful opening event. Christians world wide see it in poor taste and blasphemous at best.

I bet the producers and participants in the SHIT HOUSE production are glad it's not in 13-14 century as they'd be all burnt at the stake for blasphemy at least.

The lot of 'em should be all keel hauled or made to walk the plank.

Totally disgraceful. Burn the lot of 'em.

Proves that the French in their arrogance are either totally unaware on don't care what the rest of the world thinks. Poor attitude and poor presentation - I feel sorry for all of the athletes - they missed out on the march into the arena and the sensation of the massed gathering in the build up to the competition.

"While the intention was to celebrate community spirit, the execution struck a chord with viewers who felt their religious beliefs were disrespected."
There was nothing in that to celebrate "communiuty spirit."
It couldn't have done a better job if it was designed to depict a Roman orgy!
"'If people have taken any offence, we are really sorry.'"
What would have been more appropriate, would have been to say: "We are sorry that what we portrayed was offensive."
There is quite a difference. The second statement would have shown genuine remorse, instead of politically correct tokenism.

The opening ceremony is always something people look forward to, as host nations try to out-do each other every 4 years. Families sit up to watch the ceremony, expecting something magical and amazing. Imagine if you were a parent with 6-to-12 yr olds watching this old coot with his obvious phallus parading like a pansy.

Some on here have brushed it off, saying people are too sensitive, and "Perhaps the 'easily offended' need to toughen, ..."
No.
This why the world is in such a lawless state - everyone is doing what is right in their own eyes, and disregarding moral decency. I refuse to toughen up to pure filth.

The scene that mimicked Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" was disgraceful, and I feel it was an attempt to shove Christianity further back from the minds of people. I was offended on behalf of people who hold firm religious views.

Australia's eSafety Commissioner (Julie Inman Grant) has been stomping all over people on Social Media, threatening them with fines and even chages of "being against the state" (treason), as well as wanting the power to remove social media accounts!

She should be doing her job there, instead of bothering people on social media for political brownie points!

If she is so concerned about what children see on social media, why isn't she equally as concerned about the gutter nonsense that oozed out onto the unsuspecting public in the form of the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

Not a Ceremony - that's elevating it too much - I was more accurate in my opening paragraph - it was more like an orgy than a ceremony. People may try to laugh this off, but the more these things are accepted w/o pushback, the further they advance.

Out kids are exposed to enough before they have matured enough to process it safely.

Last edited:
Will you "religious" nutters stop? You are conflating a Bacchanalian feast with the Last Supper for no reason other than that elements possibly, maybe look similar to that painting by Len from Vinci. The painter wasn't even at the last supper.

Go boil your heads and stop spouting bollocks out of the back of your stained underpants!
You are entitled to an opinion about the Olympic event. It's a free world.

But don't ridicule people for their opinions.

"While the intention was to celebrate community spirit, the execution struck a chord with viewers who felt their religious beliefs were disrespected."
There was nothing in that to celebrate "communiuty spirit."
It couldn't have done a better job if it was designed to depict a Roman orgy!
"'If people have taken any offence, we are really sorry.'"
What would have been more appropriate, would have been to say: "We are sorry that what we portrayed was offensive."
There is quite a difference. The second statement would have shown genuine remorse, instead of politically correct tokenism.

The opening ceremony is always something people look forward to, as host nations try to out-do each other every 4 years. Families sit up to watch the ceremony, expecting something magical and amazing. Imagine if you were a parent with 6-to-12 yr olds watching this old coot with his obvious phallus parading like a pansy.

Some on here have brushed it off, saying people are too sensitive, and "Perhaps the 'easily offended' need to toughen, ..."
No.
This why the world is in such a lawless state - everyone is doing what is right in their own eyes, and disregarding moral decency. I refuse to toughen up to pure filth.

The scene that mimicked Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" was disgraceful, and I feel it was an attempt to shove Christianity further back from the minds of people. I was offended on behalf of people who hold firm religious views.

Australia's eSafety Commissioner (Julie Inman Grant) has been stomping all over people on Social Media, threatening them with fines and even chages of "being against the state" (treason), as well as wanting the power to remove social media accounts!

She should be doing her job there, instead of bothering people on social media for political brownie points!

If she is so concerned about what children see on social media, why isn't she equally as concerned about the gutter nonsense that oozed out onto the unsuspecting public in toe form of the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

Not a Ceremony - that's elevating it too much - I was more accurate in my opening paragraph - it was more like an orgy than a ceremony. People may try to laugh this off, but the more these things are accepted w/o pushback, the further they advance.

Out kids are exposed to enough before they have matured enough to process it safely.
Bravo!

Reactions: relljube

Insults come easily and cheaply from the armchairs of some.
Who are you calling a "religious nutter?"

Some of us have spiritual values, but we don't call the rest "atheistic nutters."
What you are proposing ("go boil your heads") could be construed as enticement to self harm.
If I were a woke marxist, I'd call it hate speech!

But what it is, is sheer ignorance of the true values of people with integrity, who wish to preserve the morality and decency that has made this country great, and is now being threatened by the push who have no idea of what they are even mocking.

If you don't like the opinions of others - simply move on.
No need to become insulting.

The best explanation I have seen so far of the significance and symbolism of what happened at part of the Olympic Games opening ceremony from a Christian perspective. The explanations have been well sourced and are easily proven.

I agree with the many who have expressed outrage and hurt at what happened this year. It is the culmination of several Olympic openings and presentations that have been 'off colour' to say the least. As a Christian I am totally disgusted at the indecent spectacle showed during times when children could be expected to be watching! Parents, be on your guard. Protect your children because society doesn't seem to be doing much to protect them.
Agree SylviaK.
The metal bull at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games appeared to promote Satan worship, and was so obvious it was called out in world media. The calls of satanism were loud. The Bull, in scripture, was the god Baal. The Paris Olympics had the head and neck of a Bull (again - Baal worship) - for whatever reason - no-one can explain.

They had a Fact Checker look at it, and "decided it was false."
Many people still hold the view that in hindsight, what happened at Birmingham Games, was built on, as the forerunner for the Paris Olympics.

The simple truth is: organisers seem to be using these ultra-public events to promote Satanism, and when called out on it, they walk it back with some inane explanation.

Watch this space - expect more of it.

The so called Last Supper was Greek bacchanals and Dyonisus- (this one I find difficult that they took him for Jesus in the Last Supper , to be honest)- , the horse on the Seine was not apocalyptic but the representation of the goddess Sequana which gave its name to the river,,, Understandable that people may not know, hence the apology to people who unintentionnally miscontrued their meaning. As for the LGBT scenes they were part of the inclusivity chapter...

Agree SylviaK.
The metal bull at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games appeared to promote Satan worship, and was so obvious it was called out in world media. The calls of satanism were loud. The Bull, in scripture, was the god Baal. The Paris Olympics had the head and neck of a Bull (again - Baal worship) - for whatever reason - no-one can explain.

They had a Fact Checker look at it, and "decided it was false."
Many people still hold the view that in hindsight, what happened at Birmingham Games, was built on, as the forerunner for the Paris Olympics.

The simple truth is: organisers seem to be using these ultra-public events to promote Satanism, and when called out on it, they walk it back with some inane explanation.

Watch this space - expect more of it.
As I have said if you insist on satanism no reasonable explanation will change your mind... It is Ok,. The explanation of the origiinal meaning is for people who misconstrued the meaning unintentionnally and thus realise that it actually looks a lot more like Dyonisus than Jesus for example. Apparently the Greeks got it, no surprise there ;)

Insults come easily and cheaply from the armchairs of some.
Who are you calling a "religious nutter?"

Some of us have spiritual values, but we don't call the rest "atheistic nutters."
What you are proposing ("go boil your heads") could be construed as enticement to self harm.
If I were a woke marxist, I'd call it hate speech!

But what it is, is sheer ignorance of the true values of people with integrity, who wish to preserve the morality and decency that has made this country great, and is now being threatened by the push who have no idea of what they are even mocking.

If you don't like the opinions of others - simply move on.
No need to become insulting.
Well said.

Reactions: relljube