Olivia Newton-John passes away at age 73: Look back at the beloved star’s most iconic roles and ventures

In the early morning hours of August 8, heaven gained another angel. Hollywood and the rest of the world are mourning the loss of a legendary actress, Olivia Newton-John, after her family confirmed that she ‘passed away peacefully at her ranch in Southern California’.

The British-born star moved to Australia with her family at the age of six where she first appeared on Aussie TV shows including The Go!! Show and talent competition Sing, Sing, Sing.

Her major break came in 1971 when she launched her first solo album, If Not For You. Her career then took off. She received four Grammy Awards, ten American Music Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, and a 1978 Oscars nomination for the song ‘Hopelessly Devoted To You’.

During her career, Olivia Newton-John starred in 15 films and released 26 studio albums, including six soundtracks and 70 singles. But internationally, she may be best known for her iconic portrayal of Sandy in the hit musical Grease, with co-star John Travolta.

AoQy426jvlo_yy91vXvoqTiPgXvnrj6ZSrMW8mGoE15SKYn2TEFoZBcpknT13AdrSgpvOYNhVdg7hspusTxfBBD2qhu-s2UOr06xe4zIdTfqVAYvZl00mGBxBqECvevrXAzPoY0BL6rnq9b-lVbm8-w

Olivia Newton-John waving goodbye in Grease. Source: Vanity Fair

In the 1978 film, Olivia introduced fans to timeless songs such as ‘Summer Nights’ and ‘You're the One That I Want’. She continued celebrating the film by attending multiple Grease reunions over the years.

‘I don't think anyone could have imagined that a movie would go on for almost 40 years and would still be popular. People are talking to me about it all the time and loving it,’ she said in an interview.

‘It's just one of those movies. I'm very lucky to have been a part of it. It has given so many people pleasure.’

But apart from her memorable performances, the star also dedicated her life to philanthropic causes. She fought loud and proud for animal rights, environmental issues, and breast cancer awareness.

Olivia was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992. In 2017, she revealed that her breast cancer had returned and progressed to stage 4. She added that this was her third bout of breast cancer and that it had unfortunately spread to her lower back.

In 2012, she opened the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre in Melbourne, Australia.

She was appointed as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1979 and a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 2020, for her services to charity, cancer research, and entertainment.

6lMaN16IQrca1okRSkDNzwBr1iMzLl1YD187yzNQvcIi9VEnzPzJ2c-W2ldIGPNXJfjHUWc5a5b8Tt2gQIRvgOncrwpduFVlZlE0PYjbIbxlvIZVwcwxuKuPMT52zTy6tZTmjAgBEMXb8NsWkY1gbbI

She was also known for being vocal about good causes. Source: The Times

Her husband confirmed that breast cancer was the cause of her death, the statement that he wrote on the singer’s Instagram account added: ‘Dame Olivia Newton-John passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family's privacy during this very difficult time,’

‘Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continue with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer.’

Source: @JohnTravolta

Her Grease co-star John Travolta also paid tribute to the actress in an Instagram post, saying: ‘My dearest Olivia, you made all of our lives so much better. Your impact was incredible,’

‘I love you so much,’ he continued. ‘We will see you down the road and we will all be together again. Yours from the moment I saw you and forever! Your Danny, your John!’

Here’s to celebrating the life of an iconic Australian artist with a heart of gold. Are you a fan of Olivia Newton-John? If so, which of her films or songs made an impact on you? Share your memories with us in the comments below.

Reminisce about one of the Australian sweetheart’s most iconic hits:

Source: VideosMusicaVEVO

Sponsored
Omg she touched so many generations. I would sing along to her songs as a teenager one of my favourites was 1973 Let Me Be There I was 12. My whole 8 daughters loved her.

Yesterday morning at 5.45 am my 29 year old daughter messaged our family group telling us ITS A SAD DAY Olivia Newton John has passed away.

Then when my 21 year old woke up she came straight into the kitchen and played Olivia's songs. Then in came my 17 year old saying it's a sad day.
Later that morning my 34 year old said we are having an Olivia night next week. We are watching Grease .
She touched so many people with not just her amazing music but she was an Angel helping others going through breast cancer and putting her name and money into the Wellness centre in Melbourne , at a time she was going through her own battle but she wanted to give Australian's the same care that she was receiving in America.
There is a great mini series on Olivia's life starring Deltra Goodrem called Hopelessly Devoted to you. On 7 plus and Stan

I'm sure Chanel 7 will play this mini series

They just announced Melbourne will be doing a memorial for Olivia similar to what they did for Shane Warne .

Thank you Olivia Newton John for the beautiful music you gave us and for the light and Hope you gave many.

Gone but will never be forgotten
RIP beautiful Lady

Beautiful on the inside, beautiful on the outside.
Pure, clear, bell-like voice of an angel, so unpretentious.
So giving, so loving to so many people.
She wanted "ordinary folk" to have the same opportunities she was able to access when going through her primary cancer in 1992, thus her drive to develop the Wellness Centre in Melbourne was born.
Fascinating ancestry.
Love & Light to you, precious Olivia.

Reactions: Val and DrivingGirl
In the early morning hours of August 8, heaven gained another angel. Hollywood and the rest of the world are mourning the loss of a legendary actress, Olivia Newton-John, after her family confirmed that she ‘passed away peacefully at her ranch in Southern California’.

The British-born star moved to Australia with her family at the age of six where she first appeared on Aussie TV shows including The Go!! Show and talent competition Sing, Sing, Sing.

Her major break came in 1971 when she launched her first solo album, If Not For You. Her career then took off. She received four Grammy Awards, ten American Music Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, and a 1978 Oscars nomination for the song ‘Hopelessly Devoted To You’.

During her career, Olivia Newton-John starred in 15 films and released 26 studio albums, including six soundtracks and 70 singles. But internationally, she may be best known for her iconic portrayal of Sandy in the hit musical Grease, with co-star John Travolta.

AoQy426jvlo_yy91vXvoqTiPgXvnrj6ZSrMW8mGoE15SKYn2TEFoZBcpknT13AdrSgpvOYNhVdg7hspusTxfBBD2qhu-s2UOr06xe4zIdTfqVAYvZl00mGBxBqECvevrXAzPoY0BL6rnq9b-lVbm8-w

Olivia Newton-John waving goodbye in Grease. Source: Vanity Fair

In the 1978 film, Olivia introduced fans to timeless songs such as ‘Summer Nights’ and ‘You're the One That I Want’. She continued celebrating the film by attending multiple Grease reunions over the years.

‘I don't think anyone could have imagined that a movie would go on for almost 40 years and would still be popular. People are talking to me about it all the time and loving it,’ she said in an interview.

‘It's just one of those movies. I'm very lucky to have been a part of it. It has given so many people pleasure.’

But apart from her memorable performances, the star also dedicated her life to philanthropic causes. She fought loud and proud for animal rights, environmental issues, and breast cancer awareness.

Olivia was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992. In 2017, she revealed that her breast cancer had returned and progressed to stage 4. She added that this was her third bout of breast cancer and that it had unfortunately spread to her lower back.

In 2012, she opened the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre in Melbourne, Australia.

She was appointed as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1979 and a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 2020, for her services to charity, cancer research, and entertainment.

6lMaN16IQrca1okRSkDNzwBr1iMzLl1YD187yzNQvcIi9VEnzPzJ2c-W2ldIGPNXJfjHUWc5a5b8Tt2gQIRvgOncrwpduFVlZlE0PYjbIbxlvIZVwcwxuKuPMT52zTy6tZTmjAgBEMXb8NsWkY1gbbI

She was also known for being vocal about good causes. Source: The Times

Her husband confirmed that breast cancer was the cause of her death, the statement that he wrote on the singer’s Instagram account added: ‘Dame Olivia Newton-John passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family's privacy during this very difficult time,’

‘Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continue with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer.’

Source: @JohnTravolta

Her Grease co-star John Travolta also paid tribute to the actress in an Instagram post, saying: ‘My dearest Olivia, you made all of our lives so much better. Your impact was incredible,’

‘I love you so much,’ he continued. ‘We will see you down the road and we will all be together again. Yours from the moment I saw you and forever! Your Danny, your John!’

Here’s to celebrating the life of an iconic Australian artist with a heart of gold. Are you a fan of Olivia Newton-John? If so, which of her films or songs made an impact on you? Share your memories with us in the comments below.

Reminisce about one of the Australian sweetheart’s most iconic hits:

Source: VideosMusicaVEVO

i remember watching her on television and I have followed her career over the years. Her smile lit up a room. She might have been famous but she was so down to earth. The world is a dimmer place without her but she has done so much good that she will never be forgotten. RIP Olivia.😭😭

Reactions: Val and DrivingGirl
May she Rest In Peace a wonderful soul loved her songs heaven has gained another angel