Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Old wood stove

nostalgia pic.jpg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Do you remember these old stoves? These vintage heating marvels were a fixture of family gatherings. On cold winter nights, kids would huddle around the kitchen table, doing their homework diligently while mothers darned socks. The radio broadcast of When a Girl Marries filled the room, creating a warm atmosphere in those simpler times. Who still has their old wood stove? Tell us about it in the comments below.

My parents had a wood stove until they were in their 70s. The hot water system ran off it and it was light most of the time. Cooking on it was marvellous and a pot of coffee purked on the side. Great memories.

I have many memories as a young child growing up in the Western Australian wheat belt town of Wickepin.
We lived in the old Hospital and had a woodstove that looked very much like this one shown. I remember (because as a small child it was highly traumatic, I guess) my mother saying " I am sick and tired of your father leaving all of his bullets here in the kitchen.

" I have an eidetic memory for many things", and I remember her words and how she grabbed up all of the little boxes and loose little bullets and longer bullets (3.03 rifle shells) and a couple of boxes of shot gun shells and thew them all in the fire and put the lid on it.

The sound of all of the bullets and shotgun shells exploding was very scary and mum dragged me by one arm to huddle with her, near the solid oven as the bullets ratted around and then fired the lids off the stove and then bullets fired out up into the ceiling and pinged around the room..... Dad had to repair the kitchen ceiling and I helped by holding the ladder for him.

Mum never did that again.

• Wow
Reactions: Wandiwa
Does anyone else on this site get thrown out when attempting to edit a post of theirs and into an advertisement?

if my posts lack in the correct diction etc it's because the edit button cannot be pressed until later when someone has commented, it seems the only time that I can correct it.

Does anyone else on our site experience this?

Old wood stove

View attachment 29900

Do you remember these old stoves? These vintage heating marvels were a fixture of family gatherings. On cold winter nights, kids would huddle around the kitchen table, doing their homework diligently while mothers darned socks. The radio broadcast of When a Girl Marries filled the room, creating a warm atmosphere in those simpler times. Who still has their old wood stove? Tell us about it in the comments below.
keeps the kitchen warm and toasty in winter and produces endless sources of soup

My parents had a wood stove until they were in their 70s. The hot water system ran off it and it was light most of the time. Cooking on it was marvellous and a pot of coffee purked on the side. Great memories.
Oops, I hope the coffee perked on the side, wouldn’t be very pretty if it purked on the side.

I have many memories as a young child growing up in the Western Australian wheat belt town of Wickepin.
We lived in the old Hospital and had a woodstove that looked very much like this one shown. I remember (because as a small child it was highly traumatic, I guess) my mother saying " I am sick and tired of your father leaving all of his bullets here in the kitchen.

" I have an eidetic memory for many things", and I remember her words and how she grabbed up all of the little boxes and loose little bullets and longer bullets (3.03 rifle shells) and a couple of boxes of shot gun shells and thew them all in the fire and put the lid on it.

The sound of all of the bullets and shotgun shells exploding was very scary and mum dragged me by one arm to huddle with her, near the solid oven as the bullets ratted around and then fired the lids off the stove and then bullets fired out up into the ceiling and pinged around the room..... Dad had to repair the kitchen ceiling and I helped by holding the ladder for him.

Mum never did that again.
Wow, that would have been very scary but also pretty funny. Bet dad never left any bullets lying around again. Sorry but I can’t stop laughing just thinking about what it must have looked and sounded like. So lucky no one was hurt and the old hospital survived.
Old wood stove

View attachment 29900

looks very much like the old aga stoves that came out in wood designs originally. My mother in law had one, which they had converted to run on heating oil by the time I met her. A lot of farming families did the same. The houses I lived in had much smaller wood stoves, they were black, had a firebox on one side, a not very big oven on the other side, and hot plates on top that you could lift off to check the fire, oven or to cook things quicker by sitting the pots straight above the flames of the fire. We also used to have a big open fire in a corner of the kitchen that we hung pots, kettles etc over on chains from the roof. All kitchens in houses I lived in had tin walls, roof, on one end which is where the stove and open fire were. It was a great life.

Ha, that pic brings back memories, bread stood on its corner in the open firebox doorway, made the best toast. And the wet school shoes filled with newspaper left on the open oven door overnight, dry and ready to go the next morning.

Does anyone else on this site get thrown out when attempting to edit a post of theirs and into an advertisement?

if my posts lack in the correct diction etc it's because the edit button cannot be pressed until later when someone has commented, it seems the only time that I can correct it.

Does anyone else on our site experience this?
I find that adverts are slow to load, and sometimes an advert loads and fills the PC screen and pushes my comment I'm constructing downwards. Maybe try scrolling down, my comment is just lower .... and I then continue writing before posting.