SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Old Singer Sewing Machine

Who here remembers their mother and the sound of the Singer sewing machine? The rhythmic whirring of the treadle as it churned out stitch after stitch — a familiar sound that has filled many Aussie homes throughout the years. Do you still have one of these?

My mother-in-law has one, but she's revamped it so it's a hall table now and it's beautiful!

333200019_1394091444696112_8742991917383669973_n.jpg

Who here remembers their mother and the sound of the Singer sewing machine? The rhythmic whirring of the treadle as it churned out stitch after stitch — a familiar sound that has filled many Aussie homes throughout the years. Do you still have one of these?

My mother-in-law has one, but she's revamped it so it's a hall table now and it's beautiful!

I have my Grandmas not a Singer but a new century with all attachments and still working

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I so remember my mum treadling away on her Singer. She made me clothes in my teenage tears (so trendy with keyhole necklines, halter neck, pant suits). As my dad was a race horse trainer sh
e also made jockey silks including the jockey cap as well as horse blankets. Boy did she get up some speed on it. Lol.

I do and mine is also a hall table.

• Love
Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I have actually inherited two of these beautiful sewing machines….one has the original receipt in the drawer.
One is in my entry hall and the other sits in my family room adorned with photos!!

Reactions: Wandiwa
When i first married in 1955, we didn't have electricity, so when my 3 daughters arrived we purchased a Singer treadle sewing machine and made all their clothes on it. Later had it converted to electric by adding a motor. Once the girls grew up we sold it and got a smaller electic one, which i still have. Not used much these days.

Sure do ! Still works a great. Much much better than electric!

Mum used it often. With seven kids to look after, a sewing machine was an essential tool for the home.