old76

Aug 11, 2022
Old shops

nio.jpeg
Credits: NSW State Archives

Anyone remember the old Coles stores where all their merchandise was sold on tables with glass dividers and you could walk around the store and look at all their gear, which to a very poor person, was nice. Their tables were all oblong with rounded ends, a bit different to today.​

Last edited by a moderator:
My first job was at Coles 50 years ago, looked exactly like this for a couple of years when Coles New World kicked off then all changed. Dress code back then was smart casual and a bloody tie.

Reactions: Janelise
I used to love it when Mum had to go to Coles. My favourite was when I got to choose something to buy, I loved the tiny plastic dolls. They were only the size of my thumb, but they came in so many different colours. The hard part was choosing what colour doll I wanted. I think they were something like ha'penny each.

Old shops

View attachment 27740

Anyone remember the old Coles stores where all their merchandise was sold on tables with glass dividers and you could walk around the store and look at all their gear, which to a very poor person, was nice. Their tables were all oblong with rounded ends, a bit different to today.​
I worked in Coles intheir Buying office from 1961 to 1967. The range and quality of merchandise was much better back then. I remember the cafeteria from the 50's when my mum would take us into the city. I always got a pie and chips and jelly trifle, funny how food that seemed a luxury at the time was so mundane.

Reactions: Reaper123 and janj
Coles in suburb, Marrickville didn’t have a lift. There were three or four parallel aisles. 9 - 12 were Saturday hours. When I was 15, I enquired re a job. “No vacancies,” I was told. Hence I showed a reference from my church minister, was taken into the office and given a Maths test. Maths was my forte! I worked for about two months every Saturday and then for the week before Christmas in haberdashery. If a customer used a note, I had to say clearly to the staff near me, ”Check 5“ or whatever the note. It only was put in the till after acknowledgement. It was an experience, enjoyed for that brief time.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Old shops

View attachment 27740

My first job was behind the counter of just such a Cokes store in St Albans on Saturday mornings and through the school holidays 59 years ago. My earnings went into a lot of pretty dresses. I would lay by and on receiving my pay after work on Saturday mornings I would rush over to the dress shop and pay my lay-by.

Reactions: Wandiwa
I remember this, it was such fun walking around looking at everything. I was training to be a nurse at the time and had probably never been in a Coles shop before that. A group of us used to catch the train to Newcastle on our day off and wander around the shops in the mall, there was still David Jones, Coles, Walton’s and a few other department type stores, plus a grocery store. It was a good day out, we had lunch at Coles or David Jones cafeteria, the food was always yummy and reasonably cheap. I used to take my kids on the train for a day out in Newcastle when they were young and have lunch at David Jones cafeteria, the Coles had gone by then. They still had a lift attendant in David Jones during this time as well. Ah the good old days.

This photo absolutely blew me away … I love coincidences and just yesterday was trying to describe to an English friend what the old Coles stores were like and how wonderful they were…G.J.Coles! So timely and lovely to see this photo today … how many, many wonderful memories it evoked…thank you 🙏

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
In the 1960's as a kid, we used to go to Ballarat to do our major shopping.
School supplies for the start of a primary school year was one reason to go to the Ballarat Coles variety store in Bridge Street, not a Mall at that stage.
The store was long and narrow, so the aisle was a single U shaped corridor in one side of the front down to the back and out the other side of the front.
Shop assistants in the middle and on the side display bench.
As has been previously posted, lots of merchandise and small toys and such were no exception.
My mom would buy us the red "Embassy" Exercise books.
In fact I remember her sewing box had "Embassy" button cards.

So this generic thing is not new.
Best part of the store, at the front was an Ice-Cream booth, lots of flavours and even soft serve was on offer.

Tom... :)(y):coffee:🇦🇺

Attachments

• FL16300626.jpg
    FL16300626.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FL16305947.jpg
    FL16305947.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
During the school holidays we would venture to Coles at Hurstville with our family, shop and then have lunch in the cafeteria. I always had a pie, chips, peas and gravy and a chocolate milkshake. On the way our we would buy a range of loose lollies being able to mix them in a bag after our selection. This brings back fond memories of a more simpler time.

Reactions: TomGeorge and Gsr
One thing I remember about these stores was the large number of staff behind every counter and if you couldn't see what you wanted the staff member was happy to check "out the back". Great service!

Reactions: Gsr