'Old-school' discipline is back? Parents share thoughts on classroom guidelines

The debate over classroom discipline is as old as the chalkboard itself, but in Australia, it's heating up once again.

A recent senate inquiry into classroom behaviours has sparked a fiery conversation among parents, educators, and experts about the potential return of 'old-school' discipline methods to combat unruly student behaviour.

The inquiry's recommendations distributed to schools nationwide suggested a revival of traditional classroom management techniques.

These include teaching students the basics of classroom etiquette, such as how to enter a room, sit properly, and engage with teachers respectfully.

shutterstock_2337136275.jpg
The potential return of ‘old-school’ discipline sparked discussion between parents. Credit: Shutterstock

The layout of classrooms is also under scrutiny, with a push to return desks to neat rows facing the teacher.

One of the more novel concepts introduced is 'super walking', a practice where students walk in single file around the school.

The debate has divided parents and educators. Some argued that discipline begins at home and that parents should be the ones to instil these values in their children.

This discussion follows research by the Australian Education Research Organisation (AERO), which found that teachers spend a significant portion of their day, up to 20 percent, managing disruptive behaviour rather than teaching.

Dr Jenny Donavan, CEO of AERO, insisted that students need to be explicitly taught how to behave and that these skills should be consistently practised throughout their schooling to maintain high standards of conduct.

AERO’s proposed changes, while available to all Australian states, leave the implementation to the discretion of individual teachers and schools.

Former principal Adam Voigt discussed the issue and described it as a ‘complex problem’.

Voigt emphasised the need for consistency across schools to prevent teachers from leaving the profession.

He also cautioned against simplistic solutions like the 'red card' approach, which involves sending misbehaving students directly to the principal's office.

He suggested that the answers may lie in a blend of past and present methods rather than a complete reversion to 'the old days'.

The sentiment among some parents is clear, with one saying, 'I think you need to cane the parents, to be honest. That's where it is at for me. Kids are a product of their mum and dad or their parents...discipline starts at home.'

Another parent added, 'They need to be taught to listen and learn to take direction. Just no respect (in the classroom). That's the biggest problem.'
Key Takeaways
  • There is an ongoing debate among Australian parents, scholars, and teachers about reintroducing 'old-school' discipline tactics in classrooms to curb disruptive behaviour.
  • A senate inquiry has recommended a return to traditional discipline methods in schools, such as teaching students how to enter a classroom, sit, and ask questions, alongside practices like 'super walking'.
  • The Australian Education Research Organisation (AERO) found that teachers lose 20 per cent of their day managing disruptive students, highlighting the need for explicit behaviour education.
  • Some argued that discipline begins at home, while others suggested that consistent and explicit teaching of classroom behaviours could help maintain high standards and prevent teacher attrition.
Do you believe returning to 'old-school' discipline is the key to solving classroom management issues? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Parents should be teaching their children respect from an early age. I am 75 and in my high school years we were taught to respect the teachers. If an adult entered the class room we had to stop working and stand as a form of respect. My son now 57 when he was at school the norm was to call their teachers by their first name. Not done, no respect.

Unfortunately while the parents cannot/will not acknowledge the specific requirements of their school their child will grow up having social problems. How many times have we heard of a parent marching up to the school taking umbrance that their "little darling" has been taken to task for some issue with teachers or the school rules? It seems that parents feel that the rules do not apply to their spoilt brats who mimic the behaviour of their parents. Recent issue on the Gold Coast where a parent took major issue with the private school's rules about hair styles/length etc. His KINDERGARTEN child had a "man bun" that contravened the rules. Rather than take the child out of the school (which he is quite at liberty to do) or better yet get his hair cut, he just went ballistic about his rights and the kid's rights yadda yadda yadda.
Any reason children have no respect for anyone or anything - blame these pathetic excuses for parents.

Definitely. Discipline & respect needs to brought back into schools as well as at home. Some kids are given too many rights and have no respect for their parents, teachers, their peers or the law. What happens when they eventually go to work and are told by their boss to do something or that what they are doing is wrong. They will just walk off in a huff or continue to do what they want, which may cause injury to themselves or others. They need to learn the value of why there are rules in place.

I agree that a blend of old and newer discipline methods would be well worth the effort of implementing. Teachers and parents need to work together to instil good behaviour into the children in their care. I disagree with parents who say that this is the responsibility of the schools! Discipline and good behaviour practices start in the home well before the kids reach school age. I can't help wondering how the supergrowth of childcare use and the non-availability or parents during these preschool years has contributed to the huge increase in bad behaviour and lack of morals that we now see in the school kids. It's sad, but it's no good parents and teachers blaming each other for the problems. They need to work together to address the issues and find solutions.
Teachers have been forced to implement the type of schooling being used these days.

Reactions: Marj53
What can be said? Usually, the major behaviour influencer of children are the parents. Also don't blame others/or circumstances for your own bad/or disrespectful actions. At the end of the day everyone must take full responsibility for their behaviours. Stop blaming, be fully accountable.

Parents should be teaching their children respect from an early age. I am 75 and in my high school years we were taught to respect the teachers. If an adult entered the class room we had to stop working and stand as a form of respect. My son now 57 when he was at school the norm was to call their teachers by their first name. Not done, no respect.
No l never called a teacher by their first name not until the first year of my apprenticeship at TAFE

Well mannered and behaving children starts at home.
Healthy bed time routines.
Teaching from a very young age "please and thank you".
Sitting as a family at the dinner table, no TV or devices on. Even stopping to pause and say a simple prayer before eating.
Teaching simple household chores, eg making their own bed , emptying bins, putting their dirty washing in a hamper.
Putting their laundered clothes away.
Dishwashing duties.
Parents delivering the same message, and never squabble in front of the children.
The list is endless!
I have 4 adult children and 10 grandchildren, and I am so thrilled to see that what we instilled into our children, they have passed onto theirs!
We did this as two working parents as well. This also taught a good work ethic to our offspring.

Reactions: DrivingGirl
Kids today are taught all of their “rights” however in this day where everything has to be positive we can no longer say plain NO - they can’t be taught what the “wrongs are”. Our headmaster had us all day “discipline only self discipline is worth while” a valuable learning object that I still remember and adhere to after 60 years - I would also add respect only self respect are worthwhile as I believe the two go hand in hand

Something has to be done to teach children to respect their elders eg Teachers. They used to say, spare the rod, spoil the child. I don't believe in corporal punishment, but they need to have something to curb their bad behaviour. Maybe take their phones off them might be a start. Teach them bad habits lead to punishment if they don't behave.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
Something has to be done to teach children to respect their elders eg Teachers. They used to say, spare the rod, spoil the child. I don't believe in corporal punishment, but they need to have something to curb their bad behaviour. Maybe take their phones off them might be a start. Teach them bad habits lead to punishment if they don't behave.
Yes I think removing their privileges is a far better means of punishment than corporal punishment

Can't see anything working till they bring back real discipline such as the cane, detentions and writing out lines. When I went to school boys only mucked up once, they never wanted a repeat of the cane.
Jump forward 50+yrs and the only discipline for bad behaviour/breaking rules at school for my grandkids is a Behaviour Sheet they had/have to fill out.
My granddaughters now at High School treated this as a hilarious joke. It wasn't until they did something so bad that I demanded that the teacher make them do clean up duty during the lunch hour instead of hanging out with their friends & they were made to write out a 100 lines each at my house & at school. That made them think twice about their behaviour & they toed the line for the rest of their primary school yrs.
Mind you, when they went back to live with their mother full time and went to high school, yeah let's just say I now no longer have any contact with them as I'm so ashamed of them & their behaviour that I don't want people knowing we're related.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
Can't see anything working till they bring back real discipline such as the cane, detentions and writing out lines. When I went to school boys only mucked up once, they never wanted a repeat of the cane.
Jump forward 50+yrs and the only discipline for bad behaviour/breaking rules at school for my grandkids is a Behaviour Sheet they had/have to fill out.
My granddaughters now at High School treated this as a hilarious joke. It wasn't until they did something so bad that I demanded that the teacher make them do clean up duty during the lunch hour instead of hanging out with their friends & they were made to write out a 100 lines each at my house & at school. That made them think twice about their behaviour & they toed the line for the rest of their primary school yrs.
Mind you, when they went back to live with their mother full time and went to high school, yeah let's just say I now no longer have any contact with them as I'm so ashamed of them & their behaviour that I don't want people knowing we're related.
This is so sad as you are now missing out on your grandkids - I can see your point though. Pity you can't shame the mother into being a mother and role model for her kids.

I just knew it would bite them in the end. No discipline of any kind rears prococious brats. I learnt when to keep quiet, when to speak, how to behave in public all before I went to school. It’s a parents job, parenting is not easy, but children do yearn for guidance, and discipline is guiding them for adult life.
Yes Pommyoz, the cows have come home to roost on this hot potato. I agree, its the parents job to instil discipline long before they start school, example when they are toddlers and you go shopping they have to learn to behave while you are getting groceries and not crying for lollies and toys. I told my kids not to ask for anything and they didn't. Occassionally I would buy something small if they had been good, but not every time. I wanted to have well behaved children and it was hard work but it has paid off big time. I now have 2 well mannered, respectful considerate adults who are engaged in life and doing well for themselves. Even now people comment on how well mannered my son is and he is very popular with young and old alike. I am very proud of them.

Yes Pommyoz, the cows have come home to roost on this hot potato. I agree, its the parents job to instil discipline long before they start school, example when they are toddlers and you go shopping they have to learn to behave while you are getting groceries and not crying for lollies and toys. I told my kids not to ask for anything and they didn't. Occassionally I would buy something small if they had been good, but not every time. I wanted to have well behaved children and it was hard work but it has paid off big time. I now have 2 well mannered, respectful considerate adults who are engaged in life and doing well for themselves. Even now people comment on how well mannered my son is and he is very popular with young and old alike. I am very proud of them.
I would be too, you have done a great job in raising your children