'Old-school' discipline is back? Parents share thoughts on classroom guidelines

The debate over classroom discipline is as old as the chalkboard itself, but in Australia, it's heating up once again.

A recent senate inquiry into classroom behaviours has sparked a fiery conversation among parents, educators, and experts about the potential return of 'old-school' discipline methods to combat unruly student behaviour.

The inquiry's recommendations distributed to schools nationwide suggested a revival of traditional classroom management techniques.

These include teaching students the basics of classroom etiquette, such as how to enter a room, sit properly, and engage with teachers respectfully.

shutterstock_2337136275.jpg
The potential return of ‘old-school’ discipline sparked discussion between parents. Credit: Shutterstock

The layout of classrooms is also under scrutiny, with a push to return desks to neat rows facing the teacher.

One of the more novel concepts introduced is 'super walking', a practice where students walk in single file around the school.

The debate has divided parents and educators. Some argued that discipline begins at home and that parents should be the ones to instil these values in their children.

This discussion follows research by the Australian Education Research Organisation (AERO), which found that teachers spend a significant portion of their day, up to 20 percent, managing disruptive behaviour rather than teaching.

Dr Jenny Donavan, CEO of AERO, insisted that students need to be explicitly taught how to behave and that these skills should be consistently practised throughout their schooling to maintain high standards of conduct.

AERO’s proposed changes, while available to all Australian states, leave the implementation to the discretion of individual teachers and schools.

Former principal Adam Voigt discussed the issue and described it as a ‘complex problem’.

Voigt emphasised the need for consistency across schools to prevent teachers from leaving the profession.

He also cautioned against simplistic solutions like the 'red card' approach, which involves sending misbehaving students directly to the principal's office.

He suggested that the answers may lie in a blend of past and present methods rather than a complete reversion to 'the old days'.

The sentiment among some parents is clear, with one saying, 'I think you need to cane the parents, to be honest. That's where it is at for me. Kids are a product of their mum and dad or their parents...discipline starts at home.'

Another parent added, 'They need to be taught to listen and learn to take direction. Just no respect (in the classroom). That's the biggest problem.'
Key Takeaways
  • There is an ongoing debate among Australian parents, scholars, and teachers about reintroducing 'old-school' discipline tactics in classrooms to curb disruptive behaviour.
  • A senate inquiry has recommended a return to traditional discipline methods in schools, such as teaching students how to enter a classroom, sit, and ask questions, alongside practices like 'super walking'.
  • The Australian Education Research Organisation (AERO) found that teachers lose 20 per cent of their day managing disruptive students, highlighting the need for explicit behaviour education.
  • Some argued that discipline begins at home, while others suggested that consistent and explicit teaching of classroom behaviours could help maintain high standards and prevent teacher attrition.
Do you believe returning to 'old-school' discipline is the key to solving classroom management issues? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Discipline at home and school certainly didn't do me any harm, funnily enough a few of my school friends parents used to tell them not have anything to do with me as I was perceived to be a bad influence. I have since found later in life that a few had a bit of porridge under their belt?

I agree that a blend of old and newer discipline methods would be well worth the effort of implementing. Teachers and parents need to work together to instil good behaviour into the children in their care. I disagree with parents who say that this is the responsibility of the schools! Discipline and good behaviour practices start in the home well before the kids reach school age. I can't help wondering how the supergrowth of childcare use and the non-availability or parents during these preschool years has contributed to the huge increase in bad behaviour and lack of morals that we now see in the school kids. It's sad, but it's no good parents and teachers blaming each other for the problems. They need to work together to address the issues and find solutions.

Most definitely bring old school behaviour back. When disciplinary measures, respect, etiquette and manners left the classroom parents struggled at home, we are raising young people with no manners and no respect for property or their elders so I say bring them back and the sooner the better.

I'm not sure why it's called 'old school' discipline. It's teaching respect, how to behave in a socially acceptable manner, and that discipline helps kids focus. We don't expect toddlers to be allowed to run free around dangerous situations, we take disciplinary precautions, and similarly, we should not let our kids navigate life without help. No discipline at school only benefits the strong personalities, the rest are left to stumble along doing the best they can without a firmer guiding hand.

Bring back all the old values. The cane may have been harsh but it kept a lot of kids in line. However, I agree that most of the problems stem from the parents. What do we do about them?
The cane is not the answer. But teachers deserve respect. Unfortunately so many Children are not taught the basics in their own home. Schools then sometimes end up fighting a loosing battle.

Talking about respect and good behaviour - the other day in the supermarket I had to tell a boy, about 10 or so, to stop running through the supermarket aisles as he would knock someone down. He stopped, momentarily, looked at me and continued running. Saw him again running from one aisle to the other but his mother was nowhere to be seen or correcting him. Manners, respect, and generally being brought up well are all seriously lacking these days. Look at the number of daily car thefts, shootings or assaults we see and hear of EVERY day and then look at the ages of the perpetrators. Most are under age & the courts are letting these young ones off without any punishment, just a slap on the wrist.

This is not ‘old school discipline’ - it is respect for themselves and others and that is where parenting comes in. If kids were brought up with respect for others our school teachers would not have such a hard job.

Gets back to the old principles of behaviour.
Treat others as you would want to be treated.
I was schooled in a Catholic primary school with nuns as teachers. In those days, there was the cane, however, I did not witness much in that form of punishment.
Respect for the sisters was not really taught. It just seemed to happen. I suppose I cannot really remember being TAUGHT how to be mindful of our actions. We all seemed to behave our way to being respectful and having manners.
My opinion on teaching methods today is that there is not enough emphasis on the basics and too much on making everyone feel good. Awards are being given to kids for being quiet in class, being good school citizens (huh?), participating in projects, and so it goes on, and on. Excursions to non-school sites are outrageous. Eg .. my granddaughter went on an excursion to Luna Park so that they could learn about colours. There was not a lot of colour identification going on amidst the rides. I see so many youngsters today who are lucky to form a sentence when they bother to write at all. Without a mobile in their hands to to spell check, so many of them seem to be lost.
I could go on and on about the curriculum but will end with saying, it starts with the pen pushers at the top. Teachers definitely do their best.
Bring back old school, without corporal punishment. Start with the three R's so the kids at least have the chance to pursue careers of their dreams.

I believe it SHOULD be up to the parents to teach respect and polite conduct, but it seems too few do. Unfortunately, those least likely to instill such values in their children are also those most likely to complain at/abuse teachers for any disciplinary action against their offspring.

Another problem with what has happened to child-raising is the fact that in many cases, teachers spend significantly more time with the children than parents do. With both parents working, kids often going to before and after school care, parents might only interact with their children for a couple of hours a day, and are focused on practicalities such as dinner, bathing, preparing for the next day, and getting them to bed during that time.

I agree that a blend of old and newer discipline methods would be well worth the effort of implementing. Teachers and parents need to work together to instil good behaviour into the children in their care. I disagree with parents who say that this is the responsibility of the schools! Discipline and good behaviour practices start in the home well before the kids reach school age. I can't help wondering how the supergrowth of childcare use and the non-availability or parents during these preschool years has contributed to the huge increase in bad behaviour and lack of morals that we now see in the school kids. It's sad, but it's no good parents and teachers blaming each other for the problems. They need to work together to with that address the issues and find solutions.
I agree with that although my children both went to holiday and day care as I was a single mum - but discipline at home was not negotiable - disrespectful behaviour was not permitted and we talked a lot about a lot of things - they were encouraged to have and express their opinions and back up their argument- however at the end of the day I was the parent and they were the children and what I said was what happened. I remember saying many times - “you will be able to make the rules in your own home one day but I make them in ours”

I don't agree that parents are always responsible for the way their kids behave at school. I was often in trouble at school for talking, but rarely got into trouble at home, even though my parents were very strict. My son was also a problem at school, again for talking. He was an absolute joy at home. Of course I now realise our problem was boredom.

I agree with putting desks back in rows. In my day, the brightest kids sat at the back of the class and the slowest at the front. Maybe don't do that though.

Something has to be done to bring discipline back to the classroom. Also, schools must enforce anti bullying policies.

What can I say that has nt been said , respect for everything around you is a necessity for a good human being . This should be taught and expected all thru life and of course it starts with parents , siblings Day care , kinder all along the line to school It is number One before anything else so why would anyone not expect respect The teachers should include it in the classroom continually and yes students should be sitting in orderly fashion behind desks TEACH RESPECT FIRST and everything else will happen