SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Oil heaters

Remember when Aussie homes had an old oil heater? These efficient marvels kept entire houses cosy throughout the chilly season. They were popular in the 1970s until skyrocketing oil prices made everyone switch to more affordable options like gas or combustion heaters. Did you warm your hands and legs up with the old oil heaters as a kid?

compressed-nostalgia.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Reactions: Annette V
Yep, I had to crawl under the floor to instal the copper tube between the tank and the heater. We only filled the tank once and then the price of kero shotup, heater probably only got used for 1 winter.

Yep they were cosy when they got going but just took a while to warm up. The warmth from this type of heating generally made its way through the home

We had one in the late 60s, lovely heat but it nearly blew us up. The control valve broke and the oil flow inside the heater did not shut down, flames inside the heater roared loud and high and scared us, the only way to stop the oil flow was to go to the outside tank and manually shut the supply valve. Needless to say we did not trust it again, and gave it the big A, and replaced it with expensive electric radiators instead.

Oil heaters

Remember when Aussie homes had an old oil heater? These efficient marvels kept entire houses cosy throughout the chilly season. They were popular in the 1970s until skyrocketing oil prices made everyone switch to more affordable options like gas or combustion heaters. Did you warm your hands and legs up with the old oil heaters as a kid?

View attachment 21784
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

We had a Vulcan two sided, with flames on one side, just hot air on the other, warming both Lounge and Dining room. Still have the panel on the dining room side with the Vulcan name on it, the new gas heater being only one-sided

Attachments

• Vulcan.jpg
    Vulcan.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
The oil heater at home still gets used and was installed before 1960. We nearly stopped using it about five years ago because of the cost of the heating oil then found a supplier about 150 k's away and bought two 200 ltr. drums for less then the local price of one drum. Use the correct mix and clean once or twice in the year and they keep on working. Cheapest way to heat a home.

As a kid, I'd often find myself huddled close to one, especially during the colder months. It's interesting how energy trends have shifted over the years due to factors like rising oil prices, leading many to opt for more cost-effective heating options like gas or combustion heaters.
Speaking of heating, I'm currently in the midst of renovating my house, and I've been keeping an eye on modern heating solutions like Cheap Radiators. They seem like a practical and efficient way to stay warm during the winter season. It's fascinating to see how heating technology has evolved and how we continue to find better ways to keep our homes cozy.

Last edited: