October Competition: Trivia questions and answers!

Hi guys! For those of you who don't know, we run a daily trivia game (you can view the latest one here: https://seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/trivia/latest-thread)

We've put together a bunch of questions and answers in the past - around a thousand or so - but with 10 new questions every day, it only takes us about 3 months before we're on repeats...

That's where you come in!

In October, we're running a trivia question and answer competition.

Valid entries need to have:

- A question
- A factually correct answer
- 3 incorrect (but plausible) answers
- A short paragraph expounding on the correct answer

Here's an example...

Question: Which planet in our solar system has the longest year?
Correct answer: Neptune
Incorrect answer 1: Pluto
Incorrect answer 2: Jupiter
Incorrect answer 3: Mercury
Info paragraph: Neptune makes a complete orbit around the sun (i.e. a 'Neptunian' year) every 165 Earth years. Pluto makes a complete orbit around the sun every 248 years, but is no longer considered a planet.

Make sense?

You can enter as many times as you like, and the questions can be on just about any kind of subject you're interested in. Just remember to include the question, the correct answer, 3 incorrect answers, and an info paragraph.

Our favourite question and answer submission will win a $100 voucher to Coles, Woolworths or IGA. Entries close Tuesday, October 31st 11:59 pm.

What proven effect on the body does Shinrin Yoku (forest therapy) have?
(A) Increase testosterone levels
(B) Help regulate menstrual cycles
(C) Increase the number of NK (natural killer) cells
(D) Increase oestrogen levels

The correct answer is (C)

Studies done on people before and after forest therapy have shown evidence of significantly increased number of NK, perforin, granulysin & granzymes A/B expressing cells. These findings indicate that a forest therapy trip can increase NK activity.

Reactions: Veggiepatch

Hi guys! For those of you who don't know, we run a daily trivia game (you can view the latest one here: https://seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/trivia/latest-thread)

We've put together a bunch of questions and answers in the past - around a thousand or so - but with 10 new questions every day, it only takes us about 3 months before we're on repeats...

- A question

Here's an example...

Info paragraph: Neptune makes a complete orbit around the sun (i.e. a 'Neptunian' year) every 165 Earth years. Pluto makes a complete orbit around the sun every 248 years, but is no longer considered a planet.

Make sense?

You can enter as many times as you like, and the questions can be on just about any kind of subject you're interested in. Just remember to include the question, the correct answer, 3 incorrect answers, and an info paragraph.

Our favourite question and answer submission will win a $100 voucher to Coles, Woolworths or IGA. Entries close Tuesday, October 31st 11:59 pm.

- A question

Here's an example...

Make sense?

What are the 3 most difficult things to do in the World?

1. You can't count your hair
2. You can't wash your eyes with soap
3. You can't breathe when your tongue is out.

Info paragraph: We have far too many strands of fine hair to count, your eyes would sting intolerably if you washed them with soap, and Now Put Your Tongue Back Inside Your Mouth before you expire !!

Incorrect but plausible answers would be:
1. You can't swim with a shark
2. You can't fly to the Moon
3) You can't sniff Chilli pepper

What is Donald Duck’s middle name?
A. Digby
B. Artemis
C. Fauntleroy
D. Theodore

Answer. B
The 1942 short “Donald Gets Drafted”, as well as the Quack Pack episode “All Hands on Duck”, also reveals his full name to be Donald Fauntleroy Duck. Donald Duck is a well-known and very popular character especially in Scandinavian countries.

How long can a cockroach live without its head?

A. One week
B. One day
C. One hour
D. One minute

Answer A
Due to their open circulatory system, and the fact that they breathe through little holes in each of their body segments, they are not dependent on the mouth or head to breathe. The cockroach only dies because without a mouth, it can't drink water and dies of thirst.
Hint: The best way to kill them is spray them using soapy water.

- A question

Here's an example...

Make sense?

Did you know blacksmiths have a motto and what is it

By hammer and hand all arts do stand

For want of a shoe a horse was lost
We fix all metals
Warm but useful

At one time every village had a blacksmith and most people relied on him for one reason or another

Please STOP @Veggiepatch.......I'm currently 0/5 with your great Trivia questions.....so would hate to see how I would end up say after 10 questions from you. My confidence at the moment is completely shattered. 🤣😂😉
Hang in there magpie1: There is hope at the end of the tunnel, I am right there with you, let's see who gets their first.
It might not be either of us, but we can enjoy the journey. We mightn't be the sharpest tools in the shed. But heck who knows it might just be us.
Take Care, it really is just a challenge

Hang in there magpie1: There is hope at the end of the tunnel, I am right there with you, let's see who gets their first.
It might not be either of us, but we can enjoy the journey. We mightn't be the sharpest tools in the shed. But heck who knows it might just be us.
Take Care, it really is just a challenge
😹😹

• Haha
' what was the official reason the British Empire declared war on Germany on August 4, 1914?

A The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by the Serbian Black Hand

B the 1904 agreement between France and Great Britain called the Entente Cordiale

C the treaty signed in 1839 between various states/countries settling amongst other things, the borders of Belgium, in London. Sometimes called the London Treaty of 1839

D the various declarations of war between Austria Hungary. Serbia, Russia, Germany and France

Answer

C there is a clause, Article VII in the 1839 Treaty making it mandatory for Belgium to be neutral, and France,, the German States (as they were then) and Great Britain were some of the signatories. The government and parliament of the British Empire considered there was an obligation to enforce the neutrality. This clause was revoked following the 1919 Versailles peace meeting outcomes. The German Empire invaded Belgium on August 2, Great Britain issued an ultimatum on August 3 that expired on August 4.

Last edited:
How many lumbar vertebrae does the normal human have?

A) Three
B) Four
C) Five
D) Six

Correct answer is C

Background: The lumbar vertebrae are designated L1 to L5.

A bit of trivial trivia. Everybody knows I'm not normal. So when I injured my back playing touch footy, I had X-rays which found there was only four vertebrae, not five. That's why I'm the missing link!

Reactions: Littleboy8
How many lumbar vertebrae does the normal human have?

A) Three
B) Four
C) Five
D) Six

Correct answer is C

Background: The lumbar vertebrae are designated L1 to L5.

A bit of trivial trivia. Everybody knows I'm not normal. So when I injured my back playing touch footy, I had X-rays which found there was only four vertebrae, not five. That's why I'm the missing link!
💀💀💀💀😈

Which celebrity had the birth name Melvin Kaminsky?

A. Mel Gibson
B. Mel Torme
C. Mel Brooks
D. Mel Blanc

The correct answer is C.

Background: Mel Brooks was born Melvin James Kaminsky on June 28, 1926.

Mel Gibson and Mel Torme were born by those names while Mel Blanc was born Mel Blank.

Q. What Australian clothing brand was named after Queen Elizabeth II’s grandfather?

Correct Answer: KingGee
Incorrect Answer 1: R M Williams
Incorrect 2: David Jones
Incorrect 3: Sir, the Label

.Established in Australia in 1926, King Gee’s name originated from a colloquial expression “King G,” relating to the then-reigning King George V. It was slang for “the tops” or “the greatest.” During the 1920s a person perceived as conceited would have attracted the comment “He’s so good he thinks he’s ‘King G.’”

How many different moves can a player make when opening a game of chess?

A. 16 moves
B. 18 moves
C. 20 moves
D. 22 moves

C is the correct answer.

Background: Each of the eight pawns can move either one or two squares making a total of 16 moves. The two knights, being the only pieces that can jump over other pieces, can move to a total of four places, either in front of the rook's pawn or the bishop's pawn, making a grand total of 20 moves.