Nutritionist reveals hack to keep your butter soft and spreadable — “What a great idea!”

There is nothing more rage-inducing of a morning than when you go to spread butter on your toast and it rips apart like tissue paper in a tsunami. Frozen butter is the bane of a simple breakfast. But how does one keep it soft?

This is just a bit too relatable. Well, then this might be the article for you.

Brisbane nutritionist Jacqui Toumbas took to TikTok to reveal that she uses a "must-have kitchen essential" called butter bell to keep her butter at its best in terms of taste, texture, and freshness.

Jacqui said that "real butter" lovers should have this gadget in their kitchens because of its practicality and ease of use.

Credit: TikTok/@jacquitoumbas

The clip starts with the nutritionist unwrapping a block of butter and preparing it before filling the bell.

'Make sure your butter is softened,' she says in the video, explaining that you just need to fill in the bell with soft butter as hard or melted butter "never fill" the bell and will leave visible air bubbles.

Once the bell is filled with butter, Jacqui fills the crock with water, explaining that water creates a seal to ensure that oxygen and bacteria will not get inside.

Lastly, the nutritionist closes the crock and places the gadget onto the kitchen counter.

The nutritionist quipped: "That's it, now I have spreadable butter that can last up to a month."

SHvHYqzAMq-IJVcOlgAp6Lu2zglBfXV93VbjhZcJ0Zrtv6KrHLRoWYMfCRmdq4GfSfZ0_C7dhNEM_djaZBLpBbQ_LVtsOAlJ7lh4XxGZlvpIUgTtBRKtcEc1K1IcJDgjT6roXyc

The nutritionist said that the butter must be smoothed out and must not have any air bubbles inside the bell. Credit: TikTok/@jacquitoumbas.

The video has gained traction among foodies on the popular social media platform, amassing views of more than 68,000 and numerous comments from users expressing their excitement over the traditional French kitchenware.

One user wrote: "What a great idea! I need to get myself one of these."

"I have one and it's awesome... always spreading my buttered sandwiches with ease," another said.

Meanwhile, others offered their advice on maximising the use of the gadget.

'I find salting the water helps,' one person suggested.

If this article got you excited to get your hands on this amazing kitchen gadget, we suggest this $36.80 product from Kmart:

t-eB4vK2TyT9EpKbPYRRUg-MgT-sfNe7E0x61W--wD5cemYJatMOle-QTKtydSrDDwQDfpNbP4qztqkasBgivMZx2D-CWR_dDAJGuzSJazPibutnl45K52a2kyPkwua_Jd9Ql78

Credit: Kmart

Butter Bell The Original Butter Bell Crock By L. Tremain, Cafe Collection White

Do you know of any other methods to keep your butter fresh, soft, and spreadable? Share your tips with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I use real butter. I take enough butter to last the day out of the fridge, put it in a glass butter dish & keep it in the pantry. If it is a hot day or night, l take out just enough to use for whatever l am doing right there & then & leave it for 5 minutes. Soft enough to spread of fresh bread, no problems. And my butter gets used in far less time than a month.

Reactions: Ricci
I have dairy free butter and it is fine in the fridge. What about in climates like Queensland, the NT and WA, wouldn't you have a melted mess?

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
I make my own soft butter.
500g softened butter add 300ml light olive oil
Beat with hand mixer, use only 1 beater not 2 till smooth. This is my summer amount in winter I'll add a little more oil. Doubles the quantity as well. Store in a container in fridge.

Reactions: KatKop
I would love one of these, but your link doesn't work (says "Access denied") and a search on KMart's website found no butter bells. I might lash out on the Le Creuset one in blue, would look nice on the kitchen bench!

I have never heard of such a fancy feature! How does it work, @Dot? Or send us a photo!
So sorry but I cannot do photos......the refrigerator is old, not sure how old BUT old. There is a compartment inside the door that will hold 250g of butter....there is a switch inside the compartment that you can slide to either have soft or normal butter. I thought all modern refrigerators would have this.

Reactions: KatKop
So sorry but I cannot do photos......the refrigerator is old, not sure how old BUT old. There is a compartment inside the door that will hold 250g of butter....there is a switch inside the compartment that you can slide to either have soft or normal butter. I thought all modern refrigerators would have this.
I hope we never have to replace ours (it's 7 years now) I'll definitely look for this feature!

I make my own soft butter.
500g softened butter add 300ml light olive oil
Beat with hand mixer, use only 1 beater not 2 till smooth. This is my summer amount in winter I'll add a little more oil. Doubles the quantity as well. Store in a container in fridge.
I tried this but the others in the family didn't like it.