Nutritionist reveals 5 HEALTHY LATE-NIGHT SNACKS you can indulge in before bed

I am sure most of us here at the SDC are guilty of searching the cupboards in the middle of the night to satisfy our late-night cravings.

Personally, I keep a bag of trail mix whenever I'm feeling hungry later at night, making sure that I still eat healthy despite my snacking habits.

If you're looking for late-night (or whenever you feel hungry really) healthy snack ideas, nutritionist Kathleen Alleaume has named the best snacks for you.

t_LH22shrZyS8DEjk8YHzpp5794B5b820y0e_qThV48F5Rwgp7D7R4I4m42swln-nxiFIeh-v00TMmXiJ4GZZ43zkWi6FtZ3DFCOSEE0w3AJDrjFPsayS0KTy213prFUxPSqnKw

Nutritionist Kathleen Alleaume reveals her top 5 picks for healthy late-night snacking. Credit: Getty Images.

But before that, let's discuss what actually causes late-night cravings.

Kathleen explained that thirst or fluctuating blood sugar levels may be the reason why you feel hungry at night.

“Are you hungry or are you thirsty? At times, we mistake thirst for hunger. If you ate your dinner or a snack only one to two hours ago, chances are you’re not hungry. Try having a glass of water, herbal tea, or warm milk and see if this helps to reduce your hunger," she said.

"Similarly, eating at regular intervals throughout the day will support your blood sugar levels to stay on an even keel and might help to prevent the late-night munchies.”

If you still feel hunger towards bedtime but have eaten at regular intervals throughout the day, Kathleen advised that you can indulge yourself in some snacks, as long as you're “mindful of eating small portions, eating slowly and without distractions (such as reading emails or watching telly).”

The nutritionist also added that when choosing late-night snacks, one must consider nutrition.

Kathleen said: “A healthy and balanced snack consists of a carbohydrate and protein combo. It may be faddish to have a carb curfew (such as no carbs after 5 pm), however, carb-cutting diets can deny you essential sleep chemicals."

She also emphasised that snacks rich in serotonin — one of the essential sleep chemicals — should be at the top of your late-night snacks list.

"So instead of wiping carbs out altogether, choose your carbs wisely, prioritising those with whole grains and fibre, and steer clear of refined starches and sugar to avoid blood sugar highs and lows, which can perpetuate further food craving or hunger," she added.

So, what are Kathleen's top 5 late-night snack picks?

3_ngRCIEeRbnePgUi0ikwkkFjOuvGEzFfFiFTMrS9zoSPUQ86CPWVf0GYKUrTAJurnJpbH5NcweuW0yzNOSvfnKdARjI7exV6IFza3EhNnK0OWlx9VfGEWw0191xvQJXejgixu0

Credit: Getty Images

1. Greek yoghurt and berries

Greek yoghurt is an excellent source of protein — it contains twice as much protein as plain or natural yoghurt. It is also rich in bone-building calcium.

Add some berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon to your Greek yoghurt for a low-calorie, diabetic-friendly dessert!

dwPSXGKIovGeexy73kPzVfnIG7PF1kWKIEgP3QJXLDEdo7r21Gxi_I9VizhBKTTHzvqky62fNjtPtMNhjoZtUSfsjp4oKTQWAvIr-mH_QFcOCtSQ9bEKwusvcRDvxM5fCWSrP7A

2. Pear or apple slices with nut butter

If you're not sure whether you’re craving something sweet or something savoury, this snack is perfect for you! The complimenting flavour of the sweetness of the apple or pear slices and the decadent savoury flavour of nut butter will surely satisfy your late-night cravings. As an added bonus, this snack is rich in fibre and protein — perfect for staving off hunger.

s5WWIA6p6tGuWqBX5NAzwpJFm7swd0Q4NB-6eSYoBIOFK_i0WjCkdS_11BL8I5a32B150p0tlQyScEtb8STKTs2ZM6kCtjz2iG1vR3USWo_0RUj3P6yms983JP-r0R9VzJvBiOQ

3. Protein balls

If you're worrying that late-night snacking might make you gain weight by eating too much, this handy snack might be for you! Protein balls are bite-sized nibbles that are perfectly portion-controlled. You won't be needing to eat a lot of these protein balls to satisfy your hunger (and sweet cravings) as these snacks are filling.

kouB6Ab_bJIryUCbw8_fWUrcIRELDIx2TS84gtfIZg1arwN-K_SRyA81YTX6eOLyOa_T5WzjxiQ1jdVIdiF_ut8XI7kXjGDs8ho4OWxXI-ewVAFbOcQL5BTIaVoCGkgXfFw98jE

4. Nuts

My favourite late-night snack, nuts are rich in fibre, healthy fats, and protein — nutrients you need to keep your hunger at bay. Nuts are perfect for those who are craving savoury snacks.

Kathleen suggested a serving size of a small handful or 30 grams.

u3aq7rrJY7moNRFsFpbmb18NeEqETQ4zxWnGcL3tuqVmcC8wpoXCouCdpffvQwQ-yE75AKW7IbC0s1dcMfDPIo3YP3iR1sbzIyjtEFm2V0dQvRDgKlY5C35o0g9cJzabISN_Fk4

Source: Getty Images

5. Popcorn

Fibre is the 'holy grail' nutrient when it comes to stave off hunger. Whole grains, such as corn, are excellent sources of fibre.

Popcorn is extremely accessible, easy-to-make and healthy — 2 cups of plain popcorn contains up to 2g of protein and 2g of fibre.

The nutritionist, however, advised against the salty and buttery type of popcorn as it contains sodium and unhealthy fats.

Now that we know what snacks are good to eat before bedtime, are there any foods that we should avoid?

Kathleen said that certain foods can impact the quality of your sleep.

“Avoid anything caffeinated like chocolate or coffee, and heavy meals or snacks filled with low-nutrient, empty kilojoules," she said.

“And, if you’re caught out and in need of a satisfying late-night bite, remember to choose something that includes a balance of carbohydrates and proteins to help curb night-time hunger.”

Reactions: pymmie
Sponsored
I am sure most of us here at the SDC are guilty of searching the cupboards in the middle of the night to satisfy our late-night cravings.

Personally, I keep a bag of trail mix whenever I'm feeling hungry later at night, making sure that I still eat healthy despite my snacking habits.

If you're looking for late-night (or whenever you feel hungry really) healthy snack ideas, nutritionist Kathleen Alleaume has named the best snacks for you.

t_LH22shrZyS8DEjk8YHzpp5794B5b820y0e_qThV48F5Rwgp7D7R4I4m42swln-nxiFIeh-v00TMmXiJ4GZZ43zkWi6FtZ3DFCOSEE0w3AJDrjFPsayS0KTy213prFUxPSqnKw

Nutritionist Kathleen Alleaume reveals her top 5 picks for healthy late-night snacking. Credit: Getty Images.

But before that, let's discuss what actually causes late-night cravings.

Kathleen explained that thirst or fluctuating blood sugar levels may be the reason why you feel hungry at night.

“Are you hungry or are you thirsty? At times, we mistake thirst for hunger. If you ate your dinner or a snack only one to two hours ago, chances are you’re not hungry. Try having a glass of water, herbal tea, or warm milk and see if this helps to reduce your hunger," she said.

"Similarly, eating at regular intervals throughout the day will support your blood sugar levels to stay on an even keel and might help to prevent the late-night munchies.”

If you still feel hunger towards bedtime but have eaten at regular intervals throughout the day, Kathleen advised that you can indulge yourself in some snacks, as long as you're “mindful of eating small portions, eating slowly and without distractions (such as reading emails or watching telly).”

The nutritionist also added that when choosing late-night snacks, one must consider nutrition.

Kathleen said: “A healthy and balanced snack consists of a carbohydrate and protein combo. It may be faddish to have a carb curfew (such as no carbs after 5 pm), however, carb-cutting diets can deny you essential sleep chemicals."

She also emphasised that snacks rich in serotonin — one of the essential sleep chemicals — should be at the top of your late-night snacks list.

"So instead of wiping carbs out altogether, choose your carbs wisely, prioritising those with whole grains and fibre, and steer clear of refined starches and sugar to avoid blood sugar highs and lows, which can perpetuate further food craving or hunger," she added.

So, what are Kathleen's top 5 late-night snack picks?

3_ngRCIEeRbnePgUi0ikwkkFjOuvGEzFfFiFTMrS9zoSPUQ86CPWVf0GYKUrTAJurnJpbH5NcweuW0yzNOSvfnKdARjI7exV6IFza3EhNnK0OWlx9VfGEWw0191xvQJXejgixu0

1. Greek yoghurt and berries

Greek yoghurt is an excellent source of protein — it contains twice as much protein as plain or natural yoghurt. It is also rich in bone-building calcium.

Add some berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon to your Greek yoghurt for a low-calorie, diabetic-friendly dessert!

dwPSXGKIovGeexy73kPzVfnIG7PF1kWKIEgP3QJXLDEdo7r21Gxi_I9VizhBKTTHzvqky62fNjtPtMNhjoZtUSfsjp4oKTQWAvIr-mH_QFcOCtSQ9bEKwusvcRDvxM5fCWSrP7A

2. Pear or apple slices with nut butter

If you're not sure whether you’re craving something sweet or something savoury, this snack is perfect for you! The complimenting flavour of the sweetness of the apple or pear slices and the decadent savoury flavour of nut butter will surely satisfy your late-night cravings. As an added bonus, this snack is rich in fibre and protein — perfect for staving off hunger.

s5WWIA6p6tGuWqBX5NAzwpJFm7swd0Q4NB-6eSYoBIOFK_i0WjCkdS_11BL8I5a32B150p0tlQyScEtb8STKTs2ZM6kCtjz2iG1vR3USWo_0RUj3P6yms983JP-r0R9VzJvBiOQ

3. Protein balls

If you're worrying that late-night snacking might make you gain weight by eating too much, this handy snack might be for you! Protein balls are bite-sized nibbles that are perfectly portion-controlled. You won't be needing to eat a lot of these protein balls to satisfy your hunger (and sweet cravings) as these snacks are filling.

kouB6Ab_bJIryUCbw8_fWUrcIRELDIx2TS84gtfIZg1arwN-K_SRyA81YTX6eOLyOa_T5WzjxiQ1jdVIdiF_ut8XI7kXjGDs8ho4OWxXI-ewVAFbOcQL5BTIaVoCGkgXfFw98jE

4. Nuts

My favourite late-night snack, nuts are rich in fibre, healthy fats, and protein — nutrients you need to keep your hunger at bay. Nuts are perfect for those who are craving savoury snacks.

Kathleen suggested a serving size of a small handful or 30 grams.

u3aq7rrJY7moNRFsFpbmb18NeEqETQ4zxWnGcL3tuqVmcC8wpoXCouCdpffvQwQ-yE75AKW7IbC0s1dcMfDPIo3YP3iR1sbzIyjtEFm2V0dQvRDgKlY5C35o0g9cJzabISN_Fk4

Source: Getty Images

5. Popcorn

Fibre is the 'holy grail' nutrient when it comes to stave off hunger. Whole grains, such as corn, are excellent sources of fibre.

Popcorn is extremely accessible, easy-to-make and healthy — 2 cups of plain popcorn contains up to 2g of protein and 2g of fibre.

The nutritionist, however, advised against the salty and buttery type of popcorn as it contains sodium and unhealthy fats.

Now that we know what snacks are good to eat before bedtime, are there any foods that we should avoid?

Kathleen said that certain foods can impact the quality of your sleep.

“Avoid anything caffeinated like chocolate or coffee, and heavy meals or snacks filled with low-nutrient, empty kilojoules," she said.

“And, if you’re caught out and in need of a satisfying late-night bite, remember to choose something that includes a balance of carbohydrates and proteins to help curb night-time hunger.”
Outdated nutritional rubbish.
The problem with eating regularly through the day as advised - leads to insulin resistance. This is the major cause of weight gain, obesity and T2D.
We have been receiving this "poor advice" following an outdated and ridiculous food pyramid and society has a major epidemic of obesity and diabetes !!!!
It's not about eating more as suggested - it's about eating the right food. High protein foods. Eat till you are full and you won't be needing snacks all day and night. Include healthy natural fats in your diet for satiety.
Avoid sugar and carbs (Carbs are sugar), Omega 6 products and NEVER EVER go near seed oils of any kind.
Dieticians are great at treating healthy carb tolerant people. Generally have no idea about the effects of insulin and what advice is needed to treat overweight middle aged people, who think putting on weight because they are getting old is normal !!! It's NOT NORMAL. It's because you have been eating crap all your life and your body is sick.
Fruit is a treat - not healthy food.
Not all vegetables are healthy !!!!
NO processed food is healthy.
Cereal is NOT healthy - No matter what they add to it.
Limit your carb intake to 50 to 100 g a day (or less or none) (we don't need carbs as all)
Try to eat Low Carb Real Food.

Reactions: KatKop and Fraser
Outdated nutritional rubbish.
The problem with eating regularly through the day as advised - leads to insulin resistance. This is the major cause of weight gain, obesity and T2D.
We have been receiving this "poor advice" following an outdated and ridiculous food pyramid and society has a major epidemic of obesity and diabetes !!!!
It's not about eating more as suggested - it's about eating the right food. High protein foods. Eat till you are full and you won't be needing snacks all day and night. Include healthy natural fats in your diet for satiety.
Avoid sugar and carbs (Carbs are sugar), Omega 6 products and NEVER EVER go near seed oils of any kind.
Dieticians are great at treating healthy carb tolerant people. Generally have no idea about the effects of insulin and what advice is needed to treat overweight middle aged people, who think putting on weight because they are getting old is normal !!! It's NOT NORMAL. It's because you have been eating crap all your life and your body is sick.
Fruit is a treat - not healthy food.
Not all vegetables are healthy !!!!
NO processed food is healthy.
Cereal is NOT healthy - No matter what they add to it.
Limit your carb intake to 50 to 100 g a day (or less or none) (we don't need carbs as all)
Try to eat Low Carb Real Food.
I couldn't agree more! The reason people have fluctuating blood sugar levels in the first place, is due to snacking and/or eating too many carbs! Another thing to watch out for are medication to help you sleep. My husband has been using a well-known prescription drug for years, and if he does not go to bed within 30 minutes of taking it, he'll say things like, 'I'm hungry' - this despite the fact that he had had a healthy meal 3 hours earlier!