Novak Djokovic returns to the tennis court after winning legal battle - but the world number one still may not play!

After recent news of the tennis superstar receiving a medical exemption from the vaccine and his visa being subsequently cancelled, the tennis drama continues as Novak Djokovic was reported to have returned to the court for training after winning the legal battle to stay in Australia.

On Monday, the decision to cancel the athlete’s visa was overturned in the Federal Court - a ruling that briefly rekindled the world tennis number one's (and his fans’) hopes of winning a record-breaking 21st Grand Slam title in the upcoming Australian Open.

However, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship may still exercise his power and have the unvaccinated Serbian champion deported.

RqaqfA8PZoYyh--OJeTuPpwZgIjTEGnTDn8XRg-uE-YJB3acvD8DGLgg9vwZpUlOTDjyjygz_XfK4x2snH2E_gBhYcfYyOREyJ0JVxiPK85vG6QnuhCjrM8wGKSql7gxhvoP0ABE

Novak Djokovic has finally made his way to a tennis court in Australia. Credit: Adam Pretty/Getty Images.

Just hours after being released from his four-night detention in a hotel in Melbourne, the tennis player issued a statement on his official social media channels, expressing his willingness to stay in the country and compete in the upcoming Australian Open on January 17.

He also thanked the fans and believers for their unwavering support.

“I’m pleased and grateful that the judge overturned my visa cancellation,” Mr Djokovic wrote in the caption, alongside a photo with his coaching team at the Rod Laver Arena.

“Despite all that has happened, I want to stay and try to compete in the Australian Open; I remain focused on that. I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans,” he continued.

“For now, I cannot say more but THANK YOU all for standing with me through all this and encouraging me to stay strong.”

Late-night access to the training grounds was granted to the athlete to give him time to be reacquainted with the tennis racket after almost a week of detention.

On Monday, Judge Anthony Kelly of the Federal Circuit Court of Australia overturned the federal government’s decision to cancel the Serbian’s visa, which blocked his entry to the country.

Mr Djokovic’s lawyers reasoned out that a COVID-19 infection last month meant the star was legally allowed entry to the country. According to a court transcript, Mr Djokovic told border officials he was unvaccinated and had been infected with COVID twice.

Judge Kelly ordered the Australian government to pay legal costs, stating that their decision to cancel the visa was “unreasonable”.

Credit: 9News.

However, despite the player’s legal victory, Mr Djokovic may still be deported from Australia, missing out on the chance to compete in the Australian Open.

Counsel for the Commonwealth Christopher Tran said Immigration Minister Alex Hawke may still exercise his personal powers to cancel the visa regardless.

“I am instructed that the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, not the Minister in this proceeding, will consider whether to exercise a personal power of cancellation under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act,” Mr Tran said.

“The Minister is currently considering the matter, and the process remains ongoing. Those are my instructions to inform the court.”

According to sources, Djokovic “could be banned from re-entering Australia for three years” should Hawke use this power. “But a three-year entry ban could be waived even if Mr Hawke does cancel the player’s visa.”

ofKfwMLCUPP8A2LjRv9Gi0QRxKq6FnTURynf6FUyDT769fxYGuc275K7P2mutSMEGSgfxOsoo-NwSAVLM6o826yirYa_eefya6N4oWZgFiBShRoUcC1r9K77gVWXuxqKlSpc2JTp

Novak Djokovic has won a joint-record of 20 Grand Slam men's singles titles, including 9 Australian Open titles. Credit: ATP Tour.

The Australian Open officially begins on January 17 and will be held at Melbourne Park in Melbourne, Australia.

With Djokovic’s record currently tied with Switzerland’s Roger Federer and Spain’s Rafael Nadal, if the Serb manages to compete and win, he will become the most successful men’s player of all time.

Last edited:
Sponsored
They say EVERYONE has to be double jabed to enter Australia and these type of venues, how can Djokovic be exempt.
If he will not declare his vacation status one must assume he is unvaccanated therefore must be deported.
It could turn the Australian open into a major covid spreading event, I am damm sure nobody wants that.

Special privileges for the rich and famous. I'm an aged pensioner with serious medical conditions. Was stuck overseas for two years due to Covid restrictions and eventually contracted the virus. My flights were cancelled four times at the last minute because of the govt restrictions. Never had any help from the Govt despite being registered with DFAT and contacting the High Commission. I was refused exemptions right from the start despite my medical issues and had serious complications after contracting the virus. I was double vaccinated with Moderna when it was available last year. Who is this cocky moron who hits a ball for a living? Is he royalty? Money talks!

Tennis star or not rules are rules. The vaccination rules have been made to protect other players and the public. My sister-in-law who returned home to visit her dying mother was fully vaccinated including a booster but still was required to do two weeks quarantine. The rules need to apply to everybody equally.

So once again, the rich and the famous have their own way. WRONG!!! The rules should apply to all who come to our country. How many of our own citizens have been refused entry, for similar conditions?

The judge in this case is the problem, she has no regard for Australian law, the Australian people or the hard working men and women that try very hard to protect our borders from unwanted international traveler’s. Her ruling was a slap in the face to all Australians stranded overseas. It goes to show how power can go to one’s head.

The question is "has Novax applied legally and honestly"?
All applications to play had a deadline of the 10th Dec last year yet Novax managed to get his honest declaration accepted on the 30th Dec.
He allegedly contracted Covid on the 16th of Dec. Apparently the second time so he hasn't got a good record. Must be all that partying without a mask.
Knowing that he had a positive result he attended many events and photoshoots unmasked with a lot of people in close contact. Under Serbian law, he should have been quarantined for 14 days. Why wasn't he quarantined or didn't he really have to?
This stinks to high heaven to me.
I think this self-centered, arrogant wank should be put on the next plane. He should go and look after his highly-strung father and stop him dancing in the streets before he has a meltdown.
Forget that we may get criticism from other Dudly Doo-Right countries. We have to show we are a strong nation and not a bunch of cowering wimps.
I'm sure I speak for a lot of Aussies when I say we don't care if you act like pork chops and protest in your own country.
I thought this forum was supposed to be a relaxing read while having a coffee. So far my blood pressure has been through the roof many times in the past 2 weeks, what with the yanks wanting to cut our language, protesting about Novax's detention, and now this.