Note left by thief divides the internet: 'I'm so sorry, I had to do this'

As much as we all like to believe that we live in a safe and secure world, the unfortunate reality is that there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to get what they want – even if it means breaking the law.

We here at the SDC feel for those of you who have been victims of crime, whether it's your home being broken into or your belongings getting stolen outright. It's a scary feeling and one that can leave you feeling violated long after the event itself.

But every now and then, something happens that restores our faith in humanity just a little bit – and this story is definitely one of those times.

Recently, a New Zealand couple woke up to find their car had been broken into during the night and had its battery stolen. Bear with us, it takes a turn.

But instead of being angry or upset about it, they were actually quite touched by what they found.

OxtZ6xNgI-_xMB7MDBJDHBDNYnEO_ElZ5SgffgZJCnHY9hAmWuaD0eC7RLkpHp5ZZf2pH8MUHRKoIAcjfOOIuhgd4xBgfRbXF5fce5j21pXkvq0QWtSVVSJC_YieNEEtk4MyNEEkIowZJFuEsPOGXKs74TGxq5z6bGJ3vAok7pLvyKxMiz9zjtS7

One couple discovered that their car battery was stolen overnight. Credit: Shutterstock/fongbeerredhot. (Stock photo)

You see, the thief didn't just take their car battery and leave; they actually left them a handwritten note apologising for their actions and promising to pay the couple back as soon as they could.

'I'm so sorry I had to do this,' the note read. 'When I am in a fortunate position, I will put $200 in your wipers.'

The couple posted a photo of this 'nice' note on social media, along with their shocked reaction at finding it, which quickly went viral online.

In an interview with a news outlet, the East Auckland residents said they weren't angry about being inconvenienced due to the stolen car battery. Instead, they wished that the thief had just knocked on their door and asked for help.

'I personally felt a bit sorry that he was in such strife that he turned to crime,' said the wife, with her husband adding: 'It was an inconvenience, but I thought this is someone who is absolutely desperate. The element of anger was taken away. I feel for people at the moment who have to resort to petty crime.'

X1ndXRZdCi9oFxIm_Kg6j1538xqJTiGjlVEymSD1Fa1wFRiBGoeyoQfKHd30VfNRLEwvlwKcc4gjn8b3q4SFqLyqfjFdgCQilEfH8r_U6uwJ1Ba5Sesf4y6v6SvfEosVqvRHmLoW2akP1nCNYh3SDV75uItCGfRyW99ampgXR74fdM2rfoVlCJjb

The thief left a note promising to pay the couple back their money. Credit: Daily Mail.

It seems that the victims' compassionate response left many on social media in awe – with many saying they wish they could be as 'nice' as the couple when they were faced with similar situations.

Others, though, criticised them for being too forgiving towards a criminal act. 'It's hardly "heartbreaking". It's "lawbreaking". Not sucked into the poor wee criminal illusion,' one person wrote in the comments.

Another added: 'So as of now, all criminals will start writing excuse notes, and no one will ever go to jail…'

What about you, members - what do you think? If you were in the victims' shoes, would you be as forgiving as them? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
As much as we all like to believe that we live in a safe and secure world, the unfortunate reality is that there are people out there who will do whatever it takes to get what they want – even if it means breaking the law.

We here at the SDC feel for those of you who have been victims of crime, whether it's your home being broken into or your belongings getting stolen outright. It's a scary feeling and one that can leave you feeling violated long after the event itself.

But every now and then, something happens that restores our faith in humanity just a little bit – and this story is definitely one of those times.

Recently, a New Zealand couple woke up to find their car had been broken into during the night and had its battery stolen. Bear with us, it takes a turn.

But instead of being angry or upset about it, they were actually quite touched by what they found.

OxtZ6xNgI-_xMB7MDBJDHBDNYnEO_ElZ5SgffgZJCnHY9hAmWuaD0eC7RLkpHp5ZZf2pH8MUHRKoIAcjfOOIuhgd4xBgfRbXF5fce5j21pXkvq0QWtSVVSJC_YieNEEtk4MyNEEkIowZJFuEsPOGXKs74TGxq5z6bGJ3vAok7pLvyKxMiz9zjtS7

One couple discovered that their car battery was stolen overnight. Credit: Shutterstock/fongbeerredhot. (Stock photo)

You see, the thief didn't just take their car battery and leave; they actually left them a handwritten note apologising for their actions and promising to pay the couple back as soon as they could.

'I'm so sorry I had to do this,' the note read. 'When I am in a fortunate position, I will put $200 in your wipers.'

The couple posted a photo of this 'nice' note on social media, along with their shocked reaction at finding it, which quickly went viral online.

In an interview with a news outlet, the East Auckland residents said they weren't angry about being inconvenienced due to the stolen car battery. Instead, they wished that the thief had just knocked on their door and asked for help.

'I personally felt a bit sorry that he was in such strife that he turned to crime,' said the wife, with her husband adding: 'It was an inconvenience, but I thought this is someone who is absolutely desperate. The element of anger was taken away. I feel for people at the moment who have to resort to petty crime.'

X1ndXRZdCi9oFxIm_Kg6j1538xqJTiGjlVEymSD1Fa1wFRiBGoeyoQfKHd30VfNRLEwvlwKcc4gjn8b3q4SFqLyqfjFdgCQilEfH8r_U6uwJ1Ba5Sesf4y6v6SvfEosVqvRHmLoW2akP1nCNYh3SDV75uItCGfRyW99ampgXR74fdM2rfoVlCJjb

The thief left a note promising to pay the couple back their money. Credit: Daily Mail.

It seems that the victims' compassionate response left many on social media in awe – with many saying they wish they could be as 'nice' as the couple when they were faced with similar situations.

Others, though, criticised them for being too forgiving towards a criminal act. 'It's hardly "heartbreaking". It's "lawbreaking". Not sucked into the poor wee criminal illusion,' one person wrote in the comments.

Another added: 'So as of now, all criminals will start writing excuse notes, and no one will ever go to jail…'

What about you, members - what do you think? If you were in the victims' shoes, would you be as forgiving as them? Let us know in the comments below!
Not sure. Financially as a Pensioner, l couldn't afford to forgive this person. The other consideration is that my car is always locked so how did the thief get into my car? Was a screwdriver used in a lock & jiggered it up & am l up for another lock as well?

Once heard of a Nun visiting a prison who told staff there that someone had stolen the VCR from her car. They were sad to hear this. Her reply was, 'not at all. Someone needed it more than me'.

Until I began to think of money as representing time worked, I didn't value it and happily 'lent' money and objects. I also spent money carelessly.
Now I consider that money I've earned is worth keeping and others can earn their own.
I don't encourage theft.

Yes, I would forgive, being vengeful and negative is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die, it just makes you more and more negative as it eats away at you.

Yes, I would forgive, being vengeful and negative is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die, it just makes you more and more negative as it eats away at you.

What can I say, they must be a better person than me!! Once bitten, twice shy, I say!
I doubt very much that they will ever see the money for the battery, let alone extra, for the possible damage to get into the car!
We are all suffering difficult times, there is NO excuse to steal!!!

So did they have the car keys or did they just bust open the bonnet to get to the battery, so who pays in the mean time, they are criminals, they probably have a 100 of those "Special" hand written notes in there car they use to get away to the next job....

I've had something stolen from me that is irreplaceable.
I employed 2 men from a removalist company to assist me packing up my household items when I had to move.
There was an area I asked them not to touch, as I was dealing with the papers, photos and items in this area.
I saw one of the men in this area in the morning
He moved away when I reminded him to O leave that area to me.
When he was there again in the afternoon, I went crook at him.
When my things which had been packed up were transported to my temporary home, I looked for my camera.
It took me hours by torchlight, as the power hadn't been turned on.
No camera. Also missing was my purse, $50 in an envelope and my extra keys.
I returned to my home, and found the keys and purse thrown under my house.
My $50 in an envelope (a gift to help me with my removal costs) was never seen again.
Neither was my camera.....which I'd used once to take photos of my son at Government House receiving his Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award from the Governor.
Totally irreplaceable.
The manager of the company gave me $50.
He referred me to the police, but as I did not see the man take my camera, the policeman took it no further.
It was an incredibly stressful time for me, and a few months later, I reported the policeman to higher authorities.
I received an apology for the policeman's inaction, but it was of no consequence....all I wanted was my Sim card out of the camera.
I've never replaced the camera. I owned it for 1 month.
I haven't forgiven that man....he has my son's precious photos.

I truly don't believe this person was a true thief as a true thief doesn't have a conscience, he didn't have to leave that letter and you could actually feel the sadness in his words.

It's hard when something is taken from you.

This made me think of the first settlers and the convicts, you have the real thief's and you had the ones who were shipped of to Australia just for stealing food to feed their family.

I too would have wished they knocked on my door so I could help.

I tell my kids forgiveness is a good virtue .
If you believe in God how do we expect to be forgiven if we can't forgive others.

The greater person is those who can forgive, those who can't forgive carry alot of anger.
Believe me I have been broken into and experienced alot of horrible things .

My wife and I give a lot to charities and we sponsor a child and have done for 40 years so no I couldn't forgive him if that happened to us then that's money we couldn't help someone in need

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci