Not all disabilities are visible: Woman shares heartbreaking story of harassment and abuse

Our world can be an unforgiving place sometimes, especially for those who are dealing with 'invisible' illnesses. Stephanie Kelly, a 27-year-old from Sydney, is all too familiar with this reality.

Born with life-threatening heart conditions and a potassium-wasting disorder, Ms Kelly has been wheelchair-bound at times. In 2018, she was also involved in a major car crash that left her with a paralysed stomach and intestines, and she now relies on feeding tubes for 16 hours a day.

While it's not immediately obvious to strangers that Ms Kelly has a number of disabilities, she is entitled to and uses a disabled parking permit.

Despite this, though, she has faced countless instances of judgement, attacks, verbal abuse, and even car damage from strangers who cannot see her disabilities.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 1.33.58 PM.png
Stephanie Kelly, a 27-year-old woman from Sydney, is all too familiar with the problems associated with having an 'invisible illness'. Credit: Instagram/stephkkelly.

In one particularly alarming encounter, a group of teens decided to hurl a Macca's soft serve at her car simply because they couldn't believe she had a legitimate disabled parking permit.

Ms Kelly, who was just 27 years old at the time, was left feeling humiliated and frustrated that her disability wasn't taken seriously, despite her disability permit being clearly displayed on her dashboard.

'They went through the McDonald's drive-through, came back out and threw an entire soft serve cone onto our car,' she recalled.

'We never got to ask them why they did that. I wear clothes that cover everything (her medical devices) so I get that it looks like I'm not disabled and I'm parking there for convenience, but just ask me.'

Ms Kelly's story struck a chord with many readers who have faced similar situations. Commenters on her social media post shared their own harrowing encounters with strangers who refused to believe they had a disability, revealing the heartbreaking realities of living with a condition that isn't immediately visible to others.

One commenter shared a story about a friend in her early 20s who was battling cancer and parked in a disabled spot, only to be confronted by a stranger who complained about her parking there.

In a moment of frustration and anger, the friend ripped off her wig. This shocking incident highlights the desperation and pain that can come with having to constantly prove the validity of one's disability.

Another commenter shared their own experience of having a stranger stand in the middle of a parking bay and refuse to let their husband park, despite his legitimate disabled parking permit.

To 'prove' their disability, the commenter recalled being forced to come out of the car with their walking frame to assert their right to use the spot.

But amidst the pain and frustration, one commenter said they found a way around these situations.

Their husband had developed a strategy to manage these episodes by placing a sign on both sides of his rear door window that read, 'Yes I can park here, not all disabilities are visible.'

This simple but powerful message reminds us all that disabilities come in many different forms and that we must always treat each other with kindness and understanding.
Key Takeaways

• A young woman with multiple disabilities experienced a shocking confrontation after parking in a disabled car space.
  • A group of vigilante girls threw ice cream at her car for parking in the disabled spot.
  • Other commenters shared similar stories, with some even having to go as far as displaying signs on their cars just to 'prove' their disabilities.
In Australia, disabled parking spaces can be found outside of many commercial businesses, shopping centres, and public facilities. These parking spaces are specially designated bays where disabled people can more easily access the facilities they need.

In the case of Ms Kelly, her disabled parking permit allowed her to legally use the designated bay to access a pharmacy.

However, despite the fact that the presence of disabled parking spaces is in accordance with current laws and standards, people who use these bays are often subjected to ridicule and abuse by other members of the public.

These outdated views, which frequently forget that not all disabilities are visible, can have a devastating impact. It is for this reason that many states and territories in Australia have created legislation to protect disabled drivers from discrimination and abuse.

For example, in New South Wales, drivers who park illegally in confirmed accessible and disabled parking spots may attract significant fines, and offenders may also be reported to the local police station by people who are witnessing the abuse. Similar protective legislation is present in other parts of the country, including South Australia and Victoria.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 1.33.47 PM.png
The disability parking permit (DPP) allows holders to park in parking bays showing the international symbol of access. Credit: Pexels/Jakub Pabis.

Therefore, while disability parking spaces are an important part of any public facility, it is equally important to ensure that they are used legally and responsibly.

This can be achieved by increasing awareness around disability legislation and working to actively ensure that these laws are not violated by those who do not qualify to use these parking spaces.

Ms Kelly's powerful story serves as a critical reminder that disabilities come in many different forms, and not all of them are immediately visible to the naked eye. Her experiences with judgement, attacks, and verbal abuse for using a disabled parking spot show the need for greater awareness and understanding of the realities faced by those with disabilities.

We want to hear from you, members. Have you ever been wrongly judged for using a disabled space? Do you have your own experiences or stories to share? We encourage you to join the conversation and share your thoughts and feelings in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have had an invisible disability for nearly 30 years and have had a disability sticker for 20 of them. Maybe it's because I live in a country town, but I find as long as I have my disability sticker displayed in the window, people accept that I have a disability.
Until a few years ago disability stickers were issued by the shire or state you lived in but they are now a National initiative, however the rules are still the same. You MUST have a form completed by your doctor to be eligible. You MUST have the sticker clearly displayed on your windscreen to park in designated disability areas.
You don't need to prove anything to anyone, if you have followed the rules and you are abused - report it.

Our world can be an unforgiving place sometimes, especially for those who are dealing with 'invisible' illnesses. Stephanie Kelly, a 27-year-old from Sydney, is all too familiar with this reality.

Born with life-threatening heart conditions and a potassium-wasting disorder, Ms Kelly has been wheelchair-bound at times. In 2018, she was also involved in a major car crash that left her with a paralysed stomach and intestines, and she now relies on feeding tubes for 16 hours a day.

While it's not immediately obvious to strangers that Ms Kelly has a number of disabilities, she is entitled to and uses a disabled parking permit.

Despite this, though, she has faced countless instances of judgement, attacks, verbal abuse, and even car damage from strangers who cannot see her disabilities.

View attachment 15119
Stephanie Kelly, a 27-year-old woman from Sydney, is all too familiar with the problems associated with having an 'invisible illness'. Credit: Instagram/stephkkelly.

In one particularly alarming encounter, a group of teens decided to hurl a Macca's soft serve at her car simply because they couldn't believe she had a legitimate disabled parking permit.

Ms Kelly, who was just 27 years old at the time, was left feeling humiliated and frustrated that her disability wasn't taken seriously, despite her disability permit being clearly displayed on her dashboard.

'They went through the McDonald's drive-through, came back out and threw an entire soft serve cone onto our car,' she recalled.

'We never got to ask them why they did that. I wear clothes that cover everything (her medical devices) so I get that it looks like I'm not disabled and I'm parking there for convenience, but just ask me.'

Ms Kelly's story struck a chord with many readers who have faced similar situations. Commenters on her social media post shared their own harrowing encounters with strangers who refused to believe they had a disability, revealing the heartbreaking realities of living with a condition that isn't immediately visible to others.

One commenter shared a story about a friend in her early 20s who was battling cancer and parked in a disabled spot, only to be confronted by a stranger who complained about her parking there.

In a moment of frustration and anger, the friend ripped off her wig. This shocking incident highlights the desperation and pain that can come with having to constantly prove the validity of one's disability.

Another commenter shared their own experience of having a stranger stand in the middle of a parking bay and refuse to let their husband park, despite his legitimate disabled parking permit.

To 'prove' their disability, the commenter recalled being forced to come out of the car with their walking frame to assert their right to use the spot.

But amidst the pain and frustration, one commenter said they found a way around these situations.

Their husband had developed a strategy to manage these episodes by placing a sign on both sides of his rear door window that read, 'Yes I can park here, not all disabilities are visible.'

This simple but powerful message reminds us all that disabilities come in many different forms and that we must always treat each other with kindness and understanding.
Key Takeaways

• A young woman with multiple disabilities experienced a shocking confrontation after parking in a disabled car space.
  • A group of vigilante girls threw ice cream at her car for parking in the disabled spot.
  • Other commenters shared similar stories, with some even having to go as far as displaying signs on their cars just to 'prove' their disabilities.
In Australia, disabled parking spaces can be found outside of many commercial businesses, shopping centres, and public facilities. These parking spaces are specially designated bays where disabled people can more easily access the facilities they need.

In the case of Ms Kelly, her disabled parking permit allowed her to legally use the designated bay to access a pharmacy.

However, despite the fact that the presence of disabled parking spaces is in accordance with current laws and standards, people who use these bays are often subjected to ridicule and abuse by other members of the public.

These outdated views, which frequently forget that not all disabilities are visible, can have a devastating impact. It is for this reason that many states and territories in Australia have created legislation to protect disabled drivers from discrimination and abuse.

For example, in New South Wales, drivers who park illegally in confirmed accessible and disabled parking spots may attract significant fines, and offenders may also be reported to the local police station by people who are witnessing the abuse. Similar protective legislation is present in other parts of the country, including South Australia and Victoria.

View attachment 15120
The disability parking permit (DPP) allows holders to park in parking bays showing the international symbol of access. Credit: Pexels/Jakub Pabis.

Therefore, while disability parking spaces are an important part of any public facility, it is equally important to ensure that they are used legally and responsibly.

This can be achieved by increasing awareness around disability legislation and working to actively ensure that these laws are not violated by those who do not qualify to use these parking spaces.

Ms Kelly's powerful story serves as a critical reminder that disabilities come in many different forms, and not all of them are immediately visible to the naked eye. Her experiences with judgement, attacks, and verbal abuse for using a disabled parking spot show the need for greater awareness and understanding of the realities faced by those with disabilities.

We want to hear from you, members. Have you ever been wrongly judged for using a disabled space? Do you have your own experiences or stories to share? We encourage you to join the conversation and share your thoughts and feelings in the comments below.

My late mother had an 82 year old friend, Daphne, who watched a fit looking, muscly tradesman pull up in a Disabled Space. His car did not have a sticker so she walked up to him and said, "Poor dear. It's a mental disability is it?" "I'm just getting cigarettes," he answered, looking embarrassed.

My daughter and I suffer from an invisible illness. My daughter waves her disability sticker at those who berate her.
I was also yelled at by an older woman, but I flashed my neck scars at her and she apologised.
I am now in a wheel chair and waiting for my next bout of surgery.

Last edited:
This is a really interesting article and topic. I also have an invisible condition; Relapsing Remitting MS.
When I'm in remission I look like a healthy 72yo man who's fully ambulatory. However, I can't walk very far and particularly on hot days I really struggle.
I have on occasion been challenged when using dedicated parking spaces. My work around is to explain what MS is and ask for a donation to MS Australia. Sometimes that actually works and I bring it up on my phone and get them to donate on the spot.

I actually had the reverse. I was a support worker in disability for many years and once near Christmas time I was out in the work bus and because I didn’t have any of the people I support with me I parked in a regular spot. A woman carried on at me for NOT parking in a disability spot which was available. I had to explain to her that if I have no one on board with a disability, sticker or not, it is illegal for me to park there. She wasn’t Happy

View attachment 15119

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15120

Many times I have been ridiculed for using my Disabled Parking Permit
I have had it for 30 years and I still get glared at and people purposely coming over
to my car to read the permit expiry date 😮

I have an invisible disability, not one that entitles me to use a disabled parking bay, but I do carry a card that enables me to use a disabled toilet. I have had quite a few sly remarks and stares when using the disabled toilets.

View attachment 15119

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15120

I have an ACROD permit in my car. I also drive a 4wd, I have had many dirty looks and comments. The reason for the 4wd is I can't get low enough to get into and out of a sedan. If people would take a moment to look I have a walker behind the driver's seat and a small mobility scooter in the boot, both can be seen quite plainly. I don't carry them around for fun! ;)

View attachment 15119

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15120

I have a disabled parking for my car and whenever some nosy bastard idiots don't seem to be able to see my walking stick or a rollator? and asks me what my disability is I tell them Tourettes now F$CK OF YOU @$&T F$CKING IDIOT. After that they seem to live me alone, come to think it maybe it's why the wife doesn't like me going shopping with her?

Last edited:
people really don't have compassion and are quite ignorant really to behave in the way they do. Let them ask first, but honestly if there is the correct sticker they have no right to say anything at all.

Reactions: Fat&fancy and Ricci
My mum has an Acrod sticker. Firstly there are not enough disable parking spaces. I have always said that the Acrod stickers should have the photo of the Acrod holder on it so that it can be shown to people who believe you are not entitled to it. Too many people borrow them as they are too lazy to walk.

My mum has an Acrod sticker. Firstly there are not enough disable parking spaces. I have always said that the Acrod stickers should have the photo of the Acrod holder on it so that it can be shown to people who believe you are not entitled to it. Too many people borrow them as they are too lazy to walk.
My sticker has my photo, the same one as my license. Is that just a NSW thing?

Reactions: Fat&fancy
I have been abused as the carer for my husband who uses a wheelchair. I pulled into a disabled parking spot, got out of the car and walked towards the back to retrieve the folding wheelchair. As I walked along the car I was verbally abused by 2 middle aged people who said "huh you're not disabled - you shouldn't be in that space" I then opened the boot, got the wheelchair out and took it around to the passenger side. They walked away very sheepishly. I have learned to develop a thick skin for all the snide comments by people who really have no concept of those who live with a disability everyday. I also got abused for pulling into a parents space to let my husband out of the car, as all disabled parking was full. Westfield management said parents parking is a courtesy whereas disabled parking is a legal right.

View attachment 15119

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15120

I had an operation that went terribly wrong and died 5 times and they brought me back and I woke up 48 days from being put in a coma. I had a whole in my stomach from being poisoned from a nicked bowel. I lost count on how many operations I had to have my tissue to grow over mesh until I was completely closed up. That took 3 and a half years. then I broke my ankle in 3 places and had a plate and screws. Now I have to have a walking stick, but I only have it when I have a really bad day as I forget when I have been in a shop and I have people from shop running after me to give it back.. anyway I don't have the scars showing and I get other people who use the disability parks abusing me because my scars don't show. When I am abused I say do you want me to pull my dress up and show you the scars that I have from the breast bone to my who ha, then they back off, but why do we have to go through that.. so Stephanie and others... I know how you all feel.