Non-compliant care facilities could deceive you with five-star ratings—learn the disturbing truth!

In the quest for quality aged care, families across Australia rely on government ratings to guide their decisions.

However, a recent investigation revealed a troubling discrepancy that could mislead consumers: aged care facilities that fail to meet government standards are still awarded high star ratings.

This revelation has sparked concern and debate about the integrity of the star rating system and the quality of care provided to our elderly loved ones.

The star rating system, launched in 2022 in response to the Aged Care Royal Commission's findings of widespread elder abuse and neglect, was intended to provide transparency and help Australians make informed choices about aged care facilities.

Aged Care Minister Anika Wells has touted the system as a means to foster open dialogue and improve the sector, citing a 27 per cent increase in 4-5 star rated nursing homes since December 2022.

However, the system's credibility is now in question.

1724118532401.png
Many Australian aged care facilities with poor compliance are still getting high star ratings of 3 to 5 stars. Credit: ABC News In-depth / YouTube

Research into the government's star rating website has uncovered that dozens of non-compliant homes have received 3, 4, and even 5-star ratings, contrary to the government's guidelines that non-compliant facilities should not be rated above two stars.

This discrepancy has been attributed to a loophole: a facility's star rating is only affected if regulatory action has also been taken against it.

Rodney Jilek, a former federal government compliance officer with 30 years of experience in the sector, has criticised the system as 'deceptive' and potentially a 'political tool' to exaggerate the quality of aged care services.

‘The reality is that all of the other data sources are pointing out that aged care is actually getting worse.’ he said.

His research found 300 homes rated between 3 and 5 stars despite being non-compliant with government standards.

‘[The star rating system] is giving a deceptive picture of what is happening in aged care,’ Jilek continued.

‘You would have to go back and have a look at the intent of the system, whether it was truly intended to be a transparent avenue for people to choose homes, or whether it was intended to be a political tool to over-exaggerate the quality of care.’

One example is the Newcastle-based Wallsend aged care home, which received a 5-star rating while a government audit found it non-compliant with all eight standards.

Families like Rodney Reed's, who chose the Charles Brownlow nursing home for his wife Kath based on its high star rating, have suffered tragic consequences.

Despite the facility's 4-5 star rating and a glowing audit, Kath's health deteriorated rapidly under their care, leading to her death from sepsis, dehydration, and renal failure.

‘The budget was not an issue,’ Mr Reed stated.

‘We wanted Kath to be safe, secure and comfortable.’

‘When you look at the building, you think, this is a 6-star hotel. Their brochures and information books were glowing. But I guess it was the physical things that I got lured into.’.

Mr Reed's initial concern arose when he discovered that the gym and pool advertised in the brochure were restricted to the nearby retirement village and unavailable to nursing home residents.

However, this issue was overshadowed by his wife's deteriorating health in August 2023.

Their daughter, Steph Foley, recalls how her mother suddenly seemed lost and confused.

‘I remember I tried to take her for a walk, and she put a magazine on her head,’ she said.

‘I said, “Could she have had a stroke”?’

In the following month, Kath lost 7 kilograms.

When Ms Foley and her father sought information and answers from the nursing home, their requests were ignored.

Concerned, Mr Reed hired an independent geriatrician to assess his wife.

The geriatrician's report revealed that Kath was in a near-terminal state after nine days with no food and minimal fluids.

Immediate hospitalisation was advised to improve her chances of survival.

Records obtained through a Freedom of Information request revealed that Kath suffered from sepsis, dehydration, and renal failure.

After her condition stabilised, she was transferred back to the nursing home, where her family reported that her situation deteriorated further.

‘There was a time when I thought she was in a lot of pain, and I went out to ask the coordinator to help, and her reply was, “How long will it take?” I was crying,’ Ms Foley said.

‘Two days later, she died, so we felt a real sense of betrayal that we were so ignorant in terms of her real condition,’ Mr Reed said.

Mr Reed and his daughter filed a complaint with the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, which led to an investigation revealing that Kath Reed was malnourished, in unmanaged pain, and incorrectly medicated.

Despite these findings and a phone call, a clinical quality manager expressed shock at the care deficiencies and recommended increased compliance oversight.

Charles Brownlow Nursing Home's star rating was upgraded from 4 to 5 stars three months later.

Mr Reed expressed confusion over this rating increase.

Charles Brownlow acknowledged that some aspects of Kath Reed's care did not meet their standards but stated that they implemented all of the Commission's recommendations.

Two senior managers involved have since left the facility.

1724118591148.png
Highly rated facilities have reported severe neglect and poor care. Credit: ABC News In-depth / YouTube

Aged Care Commissioner Janet Anderson explained that formal regulatory actions are not pursued if a nursing home quickly addresses non-compliance risks.

She also defended the star rating system as an accurate reflection of care quality.

The star rating system's shortcomings are further compounded by another loophole: when a facility changes ownership, its negative history is wiped clean, and it is left without a star rating for 12 months.

‘The consequence of that is that the general public has no idea of the current performance of the service, and they also don't know what the past performance of the service is,’ Mr Jilek said.

‘It's a clean slate.’

This was the case with Opal Healthcare's acquisition of the troubled Jeta Gardens, now renamed Bethania Parklands, which had a history of non-compliance and a deadly COVID outbreak.

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission and Aged Care Commissioner Janet Anderson maintain that the overall star rating is accurate and reliable and that the system is working to address compliance issues.

However, the experiences of families like the Reeds and Shaz Campbell, whose mother, Diana Bourn, also suffered neglect at Jeta Gardens, tell a different story.

When Jeta Gardens reopened, Ms Campbell discovered letters her mother had written to the family, one of which pleaded, ‘It's like a madhouse in here. Please help me. Lots of love, Mum.’

A few weeks later, Ms Campbell was informed by a nurse that her mother was being rushed to the hospital.

At the hospital, she found her mother unconscious and in poor condition, so unkempt that staff initially mistook her for homeless.

The severe odour and filth struck Ms Campbell.

Upon asking about her mother's condition, a nurse at Jeta Gardens mistakenly forwarded an email revealing internal concerns about potential sanctions for neglect, as Ms Bourn had not received the antibiotics she needed for a UTI.

The attachments indicated that Mrs Bourn had requested a hospital transfer while in a lethargic state.

Diagnosed with sepsis, Mrs Bourn died in the hospital 12 days after the initial UTI. Ms Campbell later found the unopened antibiotics in her mother’s room and received a bill from Jeta Gardens for them.

An investigation by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission found that Mrs Bourn did not receive appropriate care.

In response, Jeta Gardens pledged to revise its care protocols and retrain staff.

The facility, now known as Bethania Parklands, is under new ownership and currently does not have a star rating.

Ms Campbell advocates for publicising her mother’s case, stating, ‘No other family should go through this heartache. These are human beings, family members who deserve proper care.’

Opal Healthcare, the current operator, declined to comment on the past incidents, noting they occurred under previous management.

They stated that they had introduced a new management team and made significant improvements since taking over.

An external consultancy is currently reviewing the star rating system.

Credit: ABC News In-depth / YouTube

Key Takeaways

• Dozens of non-compliant aged care facilities in Australia are receiving high star ratings of 3 to 5 stars despite failing to meet government standards.
  • Former compliance officer Rodney Jilek has criticised the star rating system as deceptive, asserting that it overstates the quality of aged care to serve as a political tool.
  • Incidents of severe neglect and improper care have been reported in highly rated facilities, contradicting their favourable ratings.
  • Loopholes in the system allow for erasing a facility's negative history upon change of ownership, giving the public a skewed perspective of care quality.
Have you or someone you know had an experience with the aged care star rating system? Feel free to hare your stories and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
A friend works in an aged care in Bundaberg. She said an Indian RN believes old people in pain are just reaping the rewards of the bad things they did in their lives. So he won’t give them pain meds on his shifts. He says they refused the meds.
This guys visa has been paid for him so they can’t get rid of him.

I sat in a friend for several months daily just to see services & quality of food disappear & see her deteriorate.
Gangrene, sepsis set in until she eventually requested euthanasia.
Family doctor & staff did what they could, but family & management ignored all requests.
The government needs to get their act together & give respect back to.our frail & elderly.

I sat in a friend for several months daily just to see services & quality of food disappear & see her deteriorate.
Gangrene, sepsis set in until she eventually requested euthanasia.
Family doctor & staff did what they could, but family & management ignored all requests.
The government needs to get their act together & give respect back to.our frail & elderly.
And they charge an arm and a leg -close to 480 000 for a tiny room and on top of that daily $120... They should give the best care possible !!

We were lucky with my parents, that we were able to get them into a wonderful home for the last years of their lives and the care was perfect. It was ten years ago and quality of homes was very different. With my mother-in-law, we kept her at home with us because we found that the same quality was not around. She was completely independent until the last few months of her life, mainly because she had a home with family, care and purpose each day. She passed away a few weeks short of 104th birthday, in 2021. We worry for ourselves as we will probably need care, however as we were not able have children and most of our family members have passed away we are worried what will happen. Our fear is who will advocate for us and watch out for us if we go into a nursing home. We have looked at a few and on the surface they look good, but when you see the residents and talk to them you get a different picture. Truth in the regulations and monitoring needs to be at the forefront to ensure that realities are easily seen, and the right kinds of people are employed. It is a scary landscape at present.

Notice how five star reviews are generated by the organisation's website, regardless of their business. It doesn't matter if it is wine, running shoes, beds or air fryers. Some of these sites are rife with bullshit "testimonials".

Go to sites such as productreviews.com.au for genuine reviews. They require documentary proof of purchase, email correspondence and other evidence so as not to receive fake reviews.

i received an email regarding the pros and cons being a prisoner versus the Aged. It was disgusting how the elderly are treated compared to wrongdoers.
My parents were extremely fortunate to have resided in lovely care homes, and I sure hope I can afford to be in one of them!

A friend works in an aged care in Bundaberg. She said an Indian RN believes old people in pain are just reaping the rewards of the bad things they did in their lives. So he won’t give them pain meds on his shifts. He says they refused the meds.
So, why hasn't he been reported to the aged care accreditation team by your friend. She is just as guilty of neglect as him. :mad:

One of the most important things to realise through all this, is if you relative is exhibiting confusion and is seemingly frailer and their skin is drier than usual, you must seek urgent medical care for them. It is well known that a UTI exhibited by these apparently insignificant symptoms can be a death sentence. Any changes in their condition should be investigated at the highest level. Call an ambulance if necessary and so the accommodation can't stop you, out them in a wheelchair and take them outside. Don't allow "seemingly trained staff" to bullying you into another less significant diagnosis. UTI's are a KILLER in the old and frail.

The biggest abusers of the elderly are all Gov's.
Nursing homes should be renamed to take home out of them.
Accreditation should be carried out by a completely totally independent body.
Many years ago, in Victoria, there was a body called The Hospital and Charities commission. This body was tasked with investigation of all Nursing homes where a resident , family, or a Nurse could report directlty to them 24 hrs a day and night. Not a 9 to 5 job. A time was set for the investigation, eg as it was happening, they would arrive at a designated time and could not be refused entry. Let us bring this back.
June

so the Indian RN has been self appointed GOD and will now determine anyone who suffers any misfortune is a receiver of GODS punishment...I hope he ends up in a nursing home and GOD will reward him accordingly (judge not lest.....etc

I think I have stated before on this forum regarding my mum. She will be 101 in October and myself 76. I look after her 24/7 with 10 hrs respite a week from her aged care package. My family help as much as they can but have problems of their own. I will continue to care for my mum at home unless my doctors tells me she needs to be in a home because she does not know me any more. If this was ever the case I would be at the home every day making sure she is looked after. Why cannot we have more State/Federal homes be built instead of the money it costs go to investors who only want to make money.

And most are run for profit by private enterprise; minimum service for maximum profit is the bottom line. It's why sweat shops making our clothes are based in places such as Bangladesh; it is why Trade Unions were invented amidst Britain's dark and satanic mills, not to mention coal mines and steel-works.

I worked in an Emergency Dept and the condition of some of the elderly brought in from some nursing homes is so heart breaking and could bring you to tears. If the nursing homes has a difficult patient they call an ambulance and just say they had a fall and needs medical help. This patient (no fall at all) is out of their hair for the night giving the staff peace. I personally will do myself in before I am put in one of those torture buildings as I've seen too much agony come out of there.

Reactions: maximus111
This is why we wouldn't put my mother in law in a home and before she passed away she was in a hospital and my wife realized she was dehydrated and tried to get them to put a drip in her and that wasn't easy to do
my wife called her sister in Queensland she came down and got the drip into their mum my wifes sister is more aggressive than my wife and it was obvious that is what you have to be it is just lucky I wasn't up there in NSW because I would have really ripped into them my wife has put in a complaint against the doctor who told her it wasn't worth putting a drip in the thing is it is not up to a doctor to let someone just die it is the family who decide to stop helping the patient my mother in law lived for another 6 weeks she was not in any pain just to let you know she was just coming to the end of life her way

Notice how five star reviews are generated by the organisation's website, regardless of their business. It doesn't matter if it is wine, running shoes, beds or air fryers. Some of these sites are rife with bullshit "testimonials".

Go to sites such as productreviews.com.au for genuine reviews. They require documentary proof of purchase, email correspondence and other evidence so as not to receive fake reviews.
Good to know. Thanks, Veggie.

The biggest abusers of the elderly are all Gov's.
Nursing homes should be renamed to take home out of them.
Accreditation should be carried out by a completely totally independent body.
Many years ago, in Victoria, there was a body called The Hospital and Charities commission. This body was tasked with investigation of all Nursing homes where a resident , family, or a Nurse could report directlty to them 24 hrs a day and night. Not a 9 to 5 job. A time was set for the investigation, eg as it was happening, they would arrive at a designated time and could not be refused entry. Let us bring this back.
June
Aren't the majority of nursing homes run these days by private companies who no doubt grab any government subsidy available. All that is part of the LNP's loser-pays baggage instigated by John Howard as part of his non-core promises.