No Yeast Sandwich Bread

This is a recipe for those who have run out of bread and don't have any yeast and can't get out to buy a loaf. @Littleboy8
No-Yeast-Sandwhich-Bread_9-1.jpg

Image and recipe by RecipeTin Eats

Ingredients​

CupsMetric
  • 4 cups flour , plain (Note 1)
  • 8 tsp baking powder (Note 2)
  • 3 tsp white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cooking salt (REDUCE to 1 tsp if using table salt, Note 3)
  • 2 1/4 cups milk , warmed (any – Note 4)
  • 1/4 cup oil , any plain (vegetable, canola, sunflower, rapeseed, grapeseed, light olive oil)

Instructions​

• Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan).
  • Grease a 22 x 13 cm / 9 x 5" loaf pan, then line with parchment/baking paper with overhang (to lift out).
  • Mix dry: Place flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl, mix to combine.
  • Add wet: Make a well in the centre, pour in oil and milk. Mix until flour is fully incorporated – batter will be thick but stirrable.
  • Fill pan: Scrape into loaf pan, using a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl clean and smooth the surface.
  • Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with foil.
  • Return to oven. Turn oven DOWN to 200°C (180°C fan), bake 20 minutes.
  • Remove from oven. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then use excess paper to lift out and transfer to cooling rack.
  • Cool completely before slicing – 45 minutes+. It IS more delicate than yeast breads (can't change science!) but slices far better than the usual "cake like" no yeast breads. Slices perfectly on Day 2 and beyond.
  • Use for sandwiches, toast, grilled cheese, French toast, bread pudding – anything you use "real" sandwich bread for!

Recipe Notes:​

1. Flour – can sub up to half with wholemeal/wholewheat. Can also use cake flour and bread flour (but using bread flour won’t give you a better result in this one, unlikeyeast breads.

I haven’t tried but do not think this one will work with gluten free flour.

Self raising flouris just plain flour pre mixed with baking powder. Can sub the flour in this recipe with self raising flour. If you do this, skip the baking powder (don’t bother subtracting 8 tsp flour, this recipe is flexible enough).

Baking powder – I know 8 tsp sounds like a lot, but this is a big loaf we’re making here, and baking powder doesn’t have the same kick-start rising power as when you use baking soda (bi-carb) plus buttermilk, like in Irish Soda Bread Hence we need more (but actually, 2 tsp baking powder per 1 cup flour is the standard).

2. Bi- carb soda SUBuse 2 tsp bi carb PLUS add 1 tsp white vinegar when you add milk (vinegar activates baking ).

3. Salt – Table salt are finer grains than cooking/kosher salt so 1 tsp table salt is more salt than 1 tsp cooking salt. So if you only have table salt, reduce to 1 tsp, otherwise your bread will be too salty.

4. Milk– anything will do, low fat, full fat, power reconstituted, non dairy (I’ve used soy and almond milk, so confident others will work just fine). Also works with WATER but the crumb is not quite as tender.

5. Loaf pan– the mixture is a like a very thick muffin batter rather than a kneadable dough, which is why we can’t freeform it. You could bake it in a 20cm/8″ round or square pan (it will be slightly less tall), it might takes slightly less time to cook because it’s not as high.

You can also make muffins, 22 – 25 minutes at 180°C or until skewer comes out clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Extremely bad for your health, however if you want to ignite your insulin resistance, pre-diabetes or get closer to diabetes then go ahead.

Yes, I was thinking the same, it’s not as though it’s going to be eaten in one go
I wonder what bread he eats. Bread with alot of sugar in it isn't good for Diabetics but this bread isn't bad for non Diabetics.

My husband is Diabetic and we researched breads that are good, and to be honest, most are the same, including multi grain. I was actually shocked.

I love my bread, and this one's really good.

I say everything is ok in moderation

Joseph is the food police 🙂

I wonder what bread he eats. Bread with alot of sugar in it isn't goid for Diabetics but this bread isn't bad for non Diabetics.

My husband is Diabetic and we researched breads that are good and to be honest most are the same including multi grain. I was actually shocked.

I love my bread and this one's really good.

Joseph is the food police 🙂
No Joseph’s a wanker I wonder what hole he came back from.could it be his a.h. I wonder😊

Extremely bad for your health, however if you want to ignite your insulin resistance, pre-diabetes or get closer to diabetes then go ahead.
Is this to do with wheat flour, sugar and the oils used? Or are you a rawist? Please provide details of your opinion with this recipe.
Remembering, we all have our own needs for our health and moderation is key.

Reactions: Macarj
Also I note you mention kosher salt. I can never find this in the supermarket. Is this just Cooking Salt?
The Interwebs says: Kosher salt is a naturally occurring mineral that is coarse-grained and is historically used for removing surface blood from meats. Kosher salt contains sodium chloride but in most cases, not iodine, qualifying it as a non-iodized salt.

Reactions: Macarj
Thank you for all your recipes. I love to try new things and yours are great. Any chance you could help with a problem I have. I am egg in tolerate any more than two I am in trouble. So, I miss out on many a recipe, I know I can substitute with a tbsp of vinegar is there anything else I can use. At my tender years of 21, I still love to try new things. "G" I am 85 years young, do tell an occasional age-related fib. LOL
Ann
From Sunny but very Hot West Oz

Thank you for all your recipes. I love to try new things and yours are great. Any chance you could help with a problem I have. I am egg in tolerate any more than two I am in trouble. So, I miss out on many a recipe, I know I can substitute with a tbsp of vinegar is there anything else I can use. At my tender years of 21, I still love to try new things. "G" I am 85 years young, do tell an occasional age-related fib. LOL
Ann
Try chia seeds. 1 Tbsp chia seeds + 2.5 Tbsp water = a chia egg.

Ann
Thank you I will give it a go.

Ann