No need for ‘spreadsheets and evidence’, aged care operators told amid reports of failing food standards

Aged care operators are set to receive an added $3 billion in funding for improvements in their services, which include providing better food for seniors but where is that money actually going?

Two-thirds of aged care operators said they spent $14 per resident daily on average, while a third — about 833 operators — admitted to spending less than $10. Two per cent spent a measly $6 daily.

But a report found that the Department of Health told aged care operators ‘We are not asking you to provide us with spreadsheets or evidence that supports your answers.’

The ‘answers’ refer to how much these facilities claim they spend on providing food for residents. So are they even telling the truth?

In place of food-related expense breakdowns, aged care providers will have to answer two questions quarterly about how they spend money on on-site and off-site food preparations.

292225631_146586244693944_5147713755175582329_n.jpg
Past investigations have found food provided by aged care operators lacking. Credit: Facebook/Aged Care Food

‘You are expected to keep a record of how you calculate the information you provide us,’ the department added.

But for Health Economist and former Health Secretary Stephen Duckett, the development is bad news for transparency.

‘I don't think without a clear audit trail, without the spreadsheets and so on, you can be fooled that they actually did spend the money on this,’ he said.

A spokesperson for Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck explained that the mechanism for reporting food spending will be expanded once the new funding system for aged care is introduced.

Meanwhile, some are in disbelief at how little aged care operators spend on food.

Celebrity chef Maggie Beer, an advocate for better food in aged care facilities, stressed it wasn’t possible to provide three (nutritious) meals and snacks for $10 a day.

‘We have a responsibility to look after those in aged care, those that are no longer able to look after themselves in that way,’ she said.

‘To me, it's just totally unacceptable.’

In the 2021 national budget, the government provided an extra $10 daily for food per aged care facility resident after a Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety report revealed concerning findings on seniors’ food and nutrition.

The report also uncovered issues regarding the federal government and the aged care sector’s transparency on how public taxpayer money was being spent.

Then-Treasurer Josh Frydenberg assured the public in an interview last year that more improvements were on the way through ‘hundreds of extra audits’ annually.

‘There's going to be new powers for the regulators, a more coordinated system to ensure that the money being spent is getting to the residents.’ he said.

pexels-photo-10829817.jpg
Over a million senior Australians used aged care services from 2019-2020, according to the Australian Institute for Health and Welfare. Credit: Pexels/Matthias Zomer

The 883 aged care facilities spending less than $10 on food per resident daily are under monitoring by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, according to the Department of Health.

The ABC shared that the commission found 41 of the 883 — just five per cent — had been audited so far, with three failing food standards for aged care. According to a commission spokesperson, decisions remain pending for other audited aged care operators.

As the commission’s audit progresses, albeit slowly, the proper food and nutrition intake of seniors in aged care facilities hangs in the balance.

The same problems hounding the aged care sector for decades can still be seen now, according to Anne Shneyder of Nutrition Professionals Australia.

Key Takeaways

• A report found that aged care operators were told by the Department of Health they didn't need to provide breakdowns of how much they claimed to spend on food for seniors.
  • They were, however, told to keep how they calculate of their expenses.
  • The government released an additional $3 billion to improve services for seniors in aged care homes across the country, including providing better and more nutritious meals for residents.
  • A survey revealed that a third of aged care operators claimed spending $10 per aged care facility resident daily.
  • Some have criticised the amount as too low and impossible to provide nutritious food on.
  • There are lingering concerns that food seniors are served in aged care homes lacks proper nutrients and nourishment.
‘I see things like … the evening meal, where cheaper or low-protein items are served,’ she pointed out.

‘Things like little pies and pasties, things like fish patties with not much fish in them … dim sims, tinned spaghetti.’

Hopefully, the situation improves for the thousands of seniors in aged care homes.

If you or anyone you know has a complaint related to aged care facility conditions, you may reach the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822.

You may also reach the Older Persons Advocacy Network here or at 1800 700 600.

For more on food in the aged care sector, you might find this story on a different approach using the Montessori method interesting. You could also revisit how Prime Minister Anthony Albanese vowed to address issues surrounding aged care.

What is your reaction to this story? What improvements do you think aged care service providers should make? Have you witnessed below-average standards of care?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/ABC Australia

Sponsored
I was talking to a friend the other day and was shocked when she told me she had to put her mum in aged care and as her mum owed her house had to put a $500,000 bond. Plus her pension and an extra $120 a week on top
Her mums house has been empty for awhile as my friend made a room at hers for her.
The couldn't rent it out as she would have lost her pension plus there would have been capital gains when they sell it in the future.

My friend cared for her mum plus still worked 4 days as a hairdresser.

Her mum became more sick and needed 3 blood transfusions due to leukaemia. They have told my friend her mums time us Limited.

My uncle who owns nothing is in aged care and only gives his pension and actually has a bit left each fortnight

Not really fare

Aged care operators are set to receive an added $3 billion in funding for improvements in their services, which include providing better food for seniors but where is that money actually going?

Two-thirds of aged care operators said they spent $14 per resident daily on average, while a third — about 833 operators — admitted to spending less than $10. Two per cent spent a measly $6 daily.

But a report found that the Department of Health told aged care operators ‘We are not asking you to provide us with spreadsheets or evidence that supports your answers.’

The ‘answers’ refer to how much these facilities claim they spend on providing food for residents. So are they even telling the truth?

In place of food-related expense breakdowns, aged care providers will have to answer two questions quarterly about how they spend money on on-site and off-site food preparations.

View attachment 9019
Past investigations have found food provided by aged care operators lacking. Credit: Facebook/Aged Care Food

‘You are expected to keep a record of how you calculate the information you provide us,’ the department added.

But for Health Economist and former Health Secretary Stephen Duckett, the development is bad news for transparency.

‘I don't think without a clear audit trail, without the spreadsheets and so on, you can be fooled that they actually did spend the money on this,’ he said.

A spokesperson for Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck explained that the mechanism for reporting food spending will be expanded once the new funding system for aged care is introduced.

Meanwhile, some are in disbelief at how little aged care operators spend on food.

Celebrity chef Maggie Beer, an advocate for better food in aged care facilities, stressed it wasn’t possible to provide three (nutritious) meals and snacks for $10 a day.

‘We have a responsibility to look after those in aged care, those that are no longer able to look after themselves in that way,’ she said.

In the 2021 national budget, the government provided an extra $10 daily for food per aged care facility resident after a Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety report revealed concerning findings on seniors’ food and nutrition.

The report also uncovered issues regarding the federal government and the aged care sector’s transparency on how public taxpayer money was being spent.

Then-Treasurer Josh Frydenberg assured the public in an interview last year that more improvements were on the way through ‘hundreds of extra audits’ annually.

‘There's going to be new powers for the regulators, a more coordinated system to ensure that the money being spent is getting to the residents.’ he said.

View attachment 9020
Over a million senior Australians used aged care services from 2019-2020, according to the Australian Institute for Health and Welfare. Credit: Pexels/Matthias Zomer

The 883 aged care facilities spending less than $10 on food per resident daily are under monitoring by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, according to the Department of Health.

The ABC shared that the commission found 41 of the 883 — just five per cent — had been audited so far, with three failing food standards for aged care. According to a commission spokesperson, decisions remain pending for other audited aged care operators.

As the commission’s audit progresses, albeit slowly, the proper food and nutrition intake of seniors in aged care facilities hangs in the balance.

The same problems hounding the aged care sector for decades can still be seen now, according to Anne Shneyder of Nutrition Professionals Australia.

Key Takeaways

• A report found that aged care operators were told by the Department of Health they didn't need to provide breakdowns of how much they claimed to spend on food for seniors.
  • The government released an additional $3 billion to improve services for seniors in aged care homes across the country, including providing better and more nutritious meals for residents.
  • A survey revealed that a third of aged care operators claimed spending $10 per aged care facility resident daily.
  • Some have criticised the amount as too low and impossible to provide nutritious food on.
  • There are lingering concerns that food seniors are served in aged care homes lacks proper nutrients and nourishment.
‘I see things like … the evening meal, where cheaper or low-protein items are served,’ she pointed out.

‘Things like little pies and pasties, things like fish patties with not much fish in them … dim sims, tinned spaghetti.’

Hopefully, the situation improves for the thousands of seniors in aged care homes.

If you or anyone you know has a complaint related to aged care facility conditions, you may reach the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822.

For more on food in the aged care sector, you might find this story on a different approach using the Montessori method interesting. You could also revisit how Prime Minister Anthony Albanese vowed to address issues surrounding aged care.

What is your reaction to this story? What improvements do you think aged care service providers should make? Have you witnessed below-average standards of care?

you would probably eat better living on the street than in a nursing home by the sound of it.... the only way they would get me into one of those place is when I am dead.

I spent a year living in a residence for older persons. (Not aged care but similar.) Integral to this was the provision of one meal a day. Experience proves that the average cost of meals was around $3 /$4, but was costed and charged at $15. Meals were boring sameness, with little variation. Proportions were carefully measured out, counting the small cubes of meat or pieces of fruit. Three slices of canned peach or pear was typical. Three cubes a little larger than a sugar cube of tough beef was typical. Jelly was always on hand. I have photographs, records and some meal samples that I froze to prove this. Needless to say, I am no longer living there.

A few years ago, I spent nearly 5 months in an aged care transitional area of a rehab hospital
I was in a wheelchair and non weight bearing as I had another spontaneous fracture in my "good" foot.
It was a nightmare.
The place had urine puddles everywhere, faeces smeared up the walls, people defaecated in the showers....the place smelled like a sewer.
Meals were served in plastic ....plates, cups etc.
Not one bit of food or beverage was hot....everything was lukewarm.
Even a cup of tea was only half full, and you couldn't ask for another.
Food was prepared off-site, and reheated in the place.
So if you had a boiled egg for breakfast, it was cooked the day before, then reheated the next morning.
So it was like a bullet.....rock hard.
There was so much wailing and calling out 24 hours a day.
I was broken-hearted....I nearly went mad.

My Mum went into an aged care home in 2014 due to dementia and a bad fall, and lived there until she passed away in 2017. We were so lucky to find a really good aged care home. I visited often as I am an only child, and I always made sure I visited an hour or two leading up to a mealtime, so I could take Mum to the dining room and check out what the meals were like! They always looked and smelled good and nutritious. Mum was quite fussy as she had been a cookery teacher and was a wonderful cook, but she very rarely complained about the food. I think it is so important with aged care homes to visit often and check everything. Ask questions and make a complaint if something isn't right.

I spent 15 years working in aged care. When I started we had time to be hands on and spend time with each resident daily, having a chat, a walk in the gardens, craft, games etc. we would take the residents out to lunch, shopping, and the big highlight was at Christmas. Our local Big W had a special late night shopping opening just for the local aged care homes. They assisted with the residents shopping and provided supper of Christmas snacks and drinks before we left. The other highlight for the residents was a bus trip around the Christmas lights display in our town. First was a stop at McDonald’s for ice cream, then off we went singing Christmas carols, laughing and having a great time. Both were late nights, about 10pm return. The bus was provided by our local community centre for free. The meals served were always cooked on site and very good quality. Before I left aged care things had changed a lot, paperwork required by the aged care departments of government took over, we had to show we were meeting expected standards of care in written documentation. Well, there was no time for the residents anymore, just the very basic care given, shower, dress, pop in a chair in lounge area, sit there all day just watching staff rushing about. A lot of false reporting was being done so the facilities didn’t lose their government funding, one facility had a staff member who spent her days fudging reports for every resident, even though she rarely had anything to do with them, but she was good at writing what the aged care auditors wanted to see. More meals were prepared off site, residents had to choose what they wanted a week in advance so the meals could be cooked, packed and delivered to the facility. Some of the meals were pretty poor in nutrition and quantity. The outings have mostly stopped, and when they do happen it is only driving in the bus, never out for a meal or shopping. Never any shopping or Christmas lights bus trips anymore. My mother in law spent 5 years living in one of these nursing homes, once she could not feed herself I would go after work or at lunchtime every day when off to feed her so she at least got to eat one meal a day, staff had no time to feed everyone who required it, the meals sat til cold and often the residents tried to feed themselves and spilt most of the food on themselves. But that was it, they then missed out on the meal. I’m sure there are a lot of hungry residents in facilities every day because of this. I haven’t had any need to go to an aged care facility for almost 4 years, but I know all our local 3 are staffed mostly by agency staff, so they are different staff all the time, most there just for the money, they get a lot more than staff employed by the facility, and they don’t get to know the residents or families, so the personal touch is gone. I saw a registered nurse doing a medication round one night and she was asking dementia patients if they were Mrs or mr and their name, she didn’t know the residents, there are pictures of them on the medication charts but a lot look pretty much alike when they have grey permed hair and glasses. I wonder how many end up with the wrong medications. I just hope I never have to go into an aged care facility.

View attachment 9019

View attachment 9020

Key Takeaways

My daughter works in Admin in an aged care facility (Qld) and they employ a qualified Chef to prepare all their food which changes daily. The meal options are different each day. They spend on average $15 per resident daily and their meal options are unbelievable and not skimpy. 🥰

There is no way on this planet that I would willingly let myself get put in one of these establishments. Luckily for me I am a diabetic and have ready access to insulin, a double or triple dose would effectively take me out of the equation. :(

Reactions: JayKay and Penny4
What the hell is the "food" pictured above? Look like a sorry excuse for a cane toad covered in gravy. How disgusting that the elderly are allowed to be treated in this fashion. Hopefully the Karma stick will visit the operators of these disgraceful operations & give them a swift kick up the a,,,!

Reactions: Ricci
I used to work in the industry and the owners were able to keep the cost down as they go to the market and get the freshest ingredients.
Of course not all are as diligent. Some operations only operate to line their pockets.

• Sad

View attachment 9019

View attachment 9020

Key Takeaways

When my mother was in aged care she informed me that they were getting cheerios for tea. When I asked her next about them it was only one cheerio, and only 3/4 got them as there weren’t enough to go round. The others got a slice of bread.

When my mother was in aged care she informed me that they were getting cheerios for tea. When I asked her next about them it was only one cheerio, and only 3/4 got them as there weren’t enough to go round. The others got a slice of bread.
Absolutely heart-breaking :(