SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
No leftovers allowed!

When I stumbled across this nostalgic post by a Facebook user named Debbie, I knew I had to share it with you all! She wrote, ‘We were never allowed to leave the table until we had eaten everything on the plate and then had to ask to be excused.’ There’s nothing like a good lesson in discipline and gratitude, eh? Did your parents used to have the ‘clean plate club’ rule, too? And did you pass it down to your kids when they were little?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 11.52.16 AM.png
Source: Australia Remember When (Facebook)

Share your stories with us in the comments below!

No leftovers allowed!

When I stumbled across this nostalgic post by a Facebook user named Debbie, I knew I had to share it with you all! She wrote, ‘We were never allowed to leave the table until we had eaten everything on the plate and then had to ask to be excused.’ There’s nothing like a good lesson in discipline and gratitude, eh? Did your parents used to have the ‘clean plate club’ rule, too? And did you pass it down to your kids when they were little?

View attachment 38620

No leftovers allowed! DEFINITELY APPLIED AT ORPHANAGE I WAS BROUGHT UP IN. ALSO WE HAD BROOMS MADE OUTTA TREE BRANCHES BY THE LOCAL GARDENER , TO SWEEP THE YARD WITH.

No leftovers allowed!

View attachment 38620

Same rules when I was growing.up as well as No elbows on table.....no talking at table except to ask for something to be passed. ..plus....your mother took the time to cook this meal so you will take the time to sit and eat all as there are hungry children in the world who.dont have the choice.

No leftovers allowed!

View attachment 38620

I distinctly remember this as a child, we had to eat what was put in front of us or go to bed hungry, he used to say "your mother has spent time in the kitchen preparing this meal so you eat it or go hungry", we also had to sit at the table until everyone else had finished. My pet hate at the time was peas, I hated peas but now love them, but never ever put baked beans in front me, they make me gag.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I distinctly remember this as a child, we had to eat what was put in front of us or go to bed hungry, he used to say "your mother has spent time in the kitchen preparing this meal so you eat it or go hungry", we also had to sit at the table until everyone else had finished. My pet hate at the time was peas, I hated peas but now love them, but never ever put baked beans in front me, they make me gag.
I have never tasted baked beans as they look slimy.

I hated to eat fat from roast beef as a child so I failed the clean plate rule thus invoking the no pudding rule.

Reactions: Wandiwa
No leftovers allowed!

View attachment 38620

Yes I think that was the usual thought of most parents in that Era. My Father took it bit further than that. Don't you know that there are starving Children in China ?
That was said also by asking to leave the Table.
BUT I would happily eat any vegetable, except PEAS. I HATED THE SQUISH OF THEM. I was made to eat all of them, No matter how congealed they were on the Plate, and I could not leave the Table, no matter how long it took to eat the disgusting green vegetable.
THE MORALE OF THE STORY IS, I AM 78 YEARS OF AGE, I STILL DON'T EAT PEAS. IF THEY ARE INCLUDED IN ANY DISH THAT IS PUT BEFORE ME I WILL
SYSTEMATICALY PICK THEM OUT OF THE MEAL BEFORE EATING IT.
DOES THAT PRESENT TO ANYONE THAT I MAY HAVE A PHOBIA TO PEAS OR IS IT DEFIANCE ON MY PART EVEN NOW ? I DON'T HAVE TO EAT THEM ANYMORE, SO THERE !!!!.

We had that rule in our home, you do not leave the table until all is finished and you have asked to leave the table once every one else had finished and knives and forks placed together. It was a time for the family to sit and talk which we did. My mother used to tell us how lucky we were that we could talk at the table as her grandmother (my great grandmother), when they used to sit for each meal, she would be at the head of the table with a long stick that would hit anyone who spoke at the table and did not eat properly. This is how her father was brought up in the early 1900s.

I also remember we used to have cod fish occasionally which I hated. When I was about ten years old, I refused to eat the cod fish. I was stubborn and just sat at the table doing as I was told and followed their rules. My parents did the dishes, watched TV and went to bed all lights out. I was still at the table. After a while after everyone had gone to bed, the house in darkness and I had been sitting in the dark for some time, one of my parents came out to the dining room I was told to go to bed. Nothing was ever said the next day or ever again, but I never was given cod fish again, and have not had since. When the rest of the family had cod fish I had another type of fish which I liked and would eat. Strong point made which made my parents rethink about being a little flexible.

No leftovers allowed!

View attachment 38620

We had that rule, even when tripe was served up..😝.. I couldn

We had that rule, even when tripe was served up.. I couldn’t eat it, so went hungry.. however, that discipline made us better as adults, too bad there is little discipline nowadays.. look at the drug taking, car jackings, stabbings today.. maybe todays youth need a hard lesson in discipline..

Yes I think that was the usual thought of most parents in that Era. My Father took it bit further than that. Don't you know that there are starving Children in China ?
That was said also by asking to leave the Table.
BUT I would happily eat any vegetable, except PEAS. I HATED THE SQUISH OF THEM. I was made to eat all of them, No matter how congealed they were on the Plate, and I could not leave the Table, no matter how long it took to eat the disgusting green vegetable.
THE MORALE OF THE STORY IS, I AM 78 YEARS OF AGE, I STILL DON'T EAT PEAS. IF THEY ARE INCLUDED IN ANY DISH THAT IS PUT BEFORE ME I WILL
SYSTEMATICALY PICK THEM OUT OF THE MEAL BEFORE EATING IT.
DOES THAT PRESENT TO ANYONE THAT I MAY HAVE A PHOBIA TO PEAS OR IS IT DEFIANCE ON MY PART EVEN NOW ? I DON'T HAVE TO EAT THEM ANYMORE, SO THERE !!!!.
DUNNO

I also grew up with that rule
Every Friday night was fish finger night which I fed to my faithful corgi under the table because I hated them
That came to an end when the dog was sick and didn’t eat them and I was found out
At least I wasn’t forced to eat them again
🤣🤣poor doggy

Same rules applied in our household. My dad loved blackcurrant jam on his bread. The bread had a black crust on top. Well, one night the 3 of us girls didn’t each our crusts. We were told you sit there until it’s all gone. We did, until 9.30pm came, parents went up to bed, we sat until Dad came down, he felt sorry for us and gave us a dob of blackcurrant jam to eat them up! I hate that jam now, it makes me gag. Burnt anything doesn’t worry me haha!

No leftovers allowed!

View attachment 38620

We sure did have that rule but lucky for us when no one was watching the dog was under the table and he liked vegetables. I'm sure dad knew when he went to feed the dog he wasn't hungry but he never let on to mum.

We sure did have that rule but lucky for us when no one was watching the dog was under the table and he liked vegetables. I'm sure dad knew when he went to feed the dog he wasn't hungry but he never let on to mum.
Good doggy🤣

My mother cooked very simple dishes , growing up on a farm where all the food came grom the garden , paddocks and stables . We had pea soup a lot in winter and a lot of animal fat was used in the soup , it tasted terrible , the looks of it made me about to vomit and I kept stirring the spoon and not eating , so it got colder and the fat would clog into my mouth . I was send to sit at a table , nearly in the dark , not far from the cows in the stable . My dad came and felt sorry for me and eaten the plate in no time , I proudly returned the empty plate to my mum , I don’t think she ever found out who eaten the pea soup.
I was always reminded that I haven’t been in the war !