'No cash accepted': Customers furious over unannounced changes in fast food chain

In a world where the jingle of coins and the rustle of banknotes are becoming rare, a recent move by a KFC outlet has ruffled more than just feathers.

The fast food giant, famous for its finger-licking good chicken, sparked a fiery debate among its Australian customers over a policy that left some customers cooked.

One KFC customer visited the fast food chain's branch in Morisset and was greeted by a sign that read 'no cash accepted'.

Cash enthusiasts have resisted this pivot to 'contact-free' tap payments—a trend that surged at the height of COVID-19.

The incident that ignited the uproar involved an older man who, after braving the rain to treat his family, was turned away for not carrying a card.

The distressing scene unfolded as he was 'refused service' for not using cashless methods.

compressed-kfc.jpeg
As of writing, majority of KFC branches still continue to accept cash payments. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Nedikusnedi

Witnessing the man's plight, a fellow customer stepped in to help.

'I offered to put it on my card, and he gave me the cash,' a customer wrote on social media after witnessing the man's plight.

'Another bloke behind me voiced his opinion against their policy, and we all had a civil discussion about the situation.'

This act of kindness sparked a conversation among patrons about the implications of a cashless society.

The customer's story stirred a heated discussion, with many expressing their dismay over KFC's card-only policy at certain outlets.

While most KFC restaurants still welcome cash payments, a select few have opted for a digital or card-only approach—a decision left to the franchise partners' discretion.

This shift away from cash has not gone unnoticed by the broader community.

In a stand against the rising tide of digital-only transactions, a group called Cash Is King Australia organised 'Cash Out Day' last Friday, 14 June.

Australians were encouraged to withdraw and spend cash in a show of solidarity with the traditional payment method.

The campaign saw ATMs nationwide drained of cash as participants withdrew large sums, with some machines reportedly running out of money due to high demand.

The event also saw some businesses pledge to accept only cash, protesting against the surcharge fees imposed by banks for card payments.

This pushback highlights a growing concern among Australians who feel marginalised by the push towards a cashless economy.

Despite the convenience and perceived safety of digital transactions, the move away from cash has significant implications.

It raises questions about privacy, financial inclusion, and the control over one's money.

Only some people have access to digital payment methods. For others, cash remains king.

A report by the Reserve Bank of Australia in 2023 found that cash now accounts for just 13 per cent of all customer payments in the country.

Furthermore, 72 per cent of Australians consider themselves low-cash users.

Yet, the reaction to KFC's cashless policy suggested that a significant portion of the population still prefers to pay with cash.
Key Takeaways

• KFC customers expressed their anger after one branch implemented a card-only policy.
  • A sign at the KFC in Morisset indicated that only 'contact-free' payments are accepted, and service was refused to an elderly man who wanted to pay with cash.
  • While most KFC restaurants in Australia still accept cash, a small number have opted for a card or digital payment-only system.
  • In response to the shift towards digital payments, a volunteer organisation declared a Cash Out Day, encouraging Australians to withdraw and use cash for transactions.
What are your thoughts on the move towards cashless transactions? Have you encountered similar experiences where establishments did not accept cash? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
the customer , who is paying your wage, should always have the choice. Especially as the stores are passing on the 1% surcharge
The company is paying their wages and it's the companies choice how they want their customers to pay.

Report them. There are supposed to be big fines for business that don't accept cash.
Argue with the ACCC who advise this.....

Cash​

Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business to specify the terms and conditions that they will supply goods and services. This includes whether they will accept cash payment. However, consumers must be made aware of these terms and conditions before they make a purchase.

Businesses should be clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept, and the total minimum price payable for their goods and services.

Who cares about the coalition?
Based on the latest polling, more people than care about the ALP.

Even in the last election, more people voted for the Coalition than voted for the Labor Party, it was green preferences that decided who won.

I don't vote for politicians in elections. I count up the number of idiots on the ballot and then put that number against the biggest idiots name. Then subtract one from the number and continue on voting against the idiots until I run out of numbers.

Cash is King, always will be. I'm old school and was brought up being told to save and pay for everything up front. No tick, or afterpay as it's called now. All my bills and groceries are paid by card or direct debit but any extras are paid by cash that I've worked hard to save.

Reactions: IAN3005
Cash is King, always will be. I'm old school and was brought up being told to save and pay for everything up front. No tick, or afterpay as it's called now. All my bills and groceries are paid by card or direct debit but any extras are paid by cash that I've worked hard to save.
Likewise..... old school. If you can't pay cash you can't afford it.

Credit cards are the bain of every household....
In Australia, credit card debt is a common concern for many people.

As of now, there are well over 13 million credit cards in the country, and many cardholders carry an average balance of $1,378 in accruing debt

Spare a thought for employees and the risk they face when cash is kept on premises. Business should have a choice as there are many reasons why cash is problematic. Consumers have a choice to shop at the stores that accept cash. Why not have a debit card and cash for such circumstances?

Reactions: IAN3005
Spare a thought for employees and the risk they face when cash is kept on premises. Business should have a choice as there are many reasons why cash is problematic. Consumers have a choice to shop at the stores that accept cash. Why not have a debit card and cash for such circumstances?
Seems to have worked ok for the last 3 or 4 decades

It's not just the 'no cash accepted' businesses we need to stand up against but also the government and banks as they are also forcing us to go down the path of a cashless society which then in the end costs us more of our hard-earned money and enables them to track where and what we spend our money on, a real invasion on our privacy. We must keep standing up to the banks and the government to stop this invasion on our privacy and freedom of choice in how we pay for our purchases.