No ALDI trolley gold coins? No problem!

Major supermarkets in Australia, such as Woolies, Coles, and Aldi, are using gold coins or tokens in their trolley systems. These allow their shoppers to use the supermarket’s designated grocery carts when shopping in-store.

And while these trolleys are a big help in easing our shopping experiences, most of the time we just can’t be bothered to exchange our gold coins. Remembering to bring them is just an additional chore!

There are also shoppers who do use the supermarket’s gold coins, like the ones provided by Aldi. However, these tokens are oftentimes left at home or in the car, or just simply misplaced.

Take this one shopper for example.

nvXHO-laggTy7P2Zgfzk8f9gloxqnAAA-9LVa8v9826RpFae4ynoL4uknm8pRVZtpX8P3AUhWgDg5smoJewF_LoV5bgRTm-uMmNeW2zIodmG4tUb_6xruSfJgyQNMDnBV5Ga2xNn

Mandy has found a sneaky way to unlock a shopping trolley in just seconds. Credit: TikTok/@lasheswithmandy.
Mandy from the Gold Coast is a regular Aldi shopper and is a fan of their trolleys. In fact, she even bought 5 gold coins just to use with their carts! The problem is that she can never seem to find them whenever she needs them the most.

That is why she came up with a ‘hack’ that makes use of Australian silver coins instead.

In a video she posted on her TikTok account, Mandy shared a hack that uses a few spare silver coins to unlock an Aldi trolley within seconds.

“Can’t believe this worked,” she says, as she puts a 10 cent and a 5 cent on top of each other in the coin slot. Then, with another 10 cent coin, she pushes the stack deeper inside, which unlocks the trolley.

Mandy also assured that her coins “returned and popped back out” without any issues after she returned the cart to the trolley bay.

In 2020, another shopper also shared a ‘nifty’ hack to unlocking supermarket trolleys without using a gold coin.

Here, the shopper inserted the rounded head of a silver key into the coin slot, which released the chain lock of the trolley.

However, ever since these kinds of trolley ‘hacks’ made waves on social media, supermarkets have advised against them.

A spokesperson from ALDI issued a statement that read: “We recommend that our shoppers continue using gold coins or an ALDI token to unlock their ALDI trolleys. Other objects may become stuck or damaged.”

They also reminded shoppers that trolley tokens are available for only 99 cents at the register, and they can even double as a key ring so customers can be reminded to bring them always.

Aldi employees and fellow Aldi shoppers have also advised against the hack, saying that these are the cause of several jammed trolleys in the supermarket.

So while we have to admit that these tricks are pretty handy when you don’t have gold coins with you, we must also advise that you should probably only use them as a last resort.

Sponsored

Major supermarkets in Australia, such as Woolies, Coles, and Aldi, are using gold coins or tokens in their trolley systems. These allow their shoppers to use the supermarket’s designated grocery carts when shopping in-store.

And while these trolleys are a big help in easing our shopping experiences, most of the time we just can’t be bothered to exchange our gold coins. Remembering to bring them is just an additional chore!

There are also shoppers who do use the supermarket’s gold coins, like the ones provided by Aldi. However, these tokens are oftentimes left at home or in the car, or just simply misplaced.

nvXHO-laggTy7P2Zgfzk8f9gloxqnAAA-9LVa8v9826RpFae4ynoL4uknm8pRVZtpX8P3AUhWgDg5smoJewF_LoV5bgRTm-uMmNeW2zIodmG4tUb_6xruSfJgyQNMDnBV5Ga2xNn

Mandy has found a sneaky way to unlock a shopping trolley in just seconds. Credit: TikTok/@lasheswithmandy.
Mandy from the Gold Coast is a regular Aldi shopper and is a fan of their trolleys. In fact, she even bought 5 gold coins just to use with their carts! The problem is that she can never seem to find them whenever she needs them the most.

That is why she came up with a ‘hack’ that makes use of Australian silver coins instead.

In a video she posted on her TikTok account, Mandy shared a hack that uses a few spare silver coins to unlock an Aldi trolley within seconds.

“Can’t believe this worked,” she says, as she puts a 10 cent and a 5 cent on top of each other in the coin slot. Then, with another 10 cent coin, she pushes the stack deeper inside, which unlocks the trolley.

Mandy also assured that her coins “returned and popped back out” without any issues after she returned the cart to the trolley bay.

In 2020, another shopper also shared a ‘nifty’ hack to unlocking supermarket trolleys without using a gold coin.

Here, the shopper inserted the rounded head of a silver key into the coin slot, which released the chain lock of the trolley.

However, ever since these kinds of trolley ‘hacks’ made waves on social media, supermarkets have advised against them.

A spokesperson from ALDI issued a statement that read: “We recommend that our shoppers continue using gold coins or an ALDI token to unlock their ALDI trolleys. Other objects may become stuck or damaged.”

They also reminded shoppers that trolley tokens are available for only 99 cents at the register, and they can even double as a key ring so customers can be reminded to bring them always.

Aldi employees and fellow Aldi shoppers have also advised against the hack, saying that these are the cause of several jammed trolleys in the supermarket.

So while we have to admit that these tricks are pretty handy when you don’t have gold coins with you, we must also advise that you should probably only use them as a last resort.

We have them on our car key rings. They last for years.

Is one still allowed to call someone daft? Probably not, so I'll refrain from talking about this particular shopper at all ...

But please explain to me the logic behind being such a regular shopper that you feel the need to
  • thoughtfully acquire five gold coins
  • but not spend 99c on the token? Or, for that matter, five tokens to keep in different places (e.g. wallet/purse, keyring, handbag, car) in case one gets lost?
I'm not a regular Aldi's customer and never use their trolleys, so perhaps there's something peculiar about the token system that I'm missing here?

Last edited:

I use a Aldi token and as I have v. short nails I use a ribbon tied to the token for ease of retrieving.

I tied a ribbon on my token as when they shoot out or get stuck as Im old and my finger's don't work well but our Coles has a coin one on there trolley when they first all came out the were all different but now they all take the same and I keep it on my car keys as you always have your car keys with you

Ever since I started keeping a gold coin in the little cavity in my car door handle I haven't had a problem with any of the coin trolleys. The cavity is in my line of sight so if I want a trolley, I just scoop up a coin when I get out of the car then pop it back when I return to the car. But I do also have an Aldi token on my keyring I will admit because I like to be prepared 😉

Last edited:

i can't see how fiddling around with loose coins is quicker. Just buy a tag from Aldi and keep it on your keyring

Yep, good old Aldi - great at promotion but SLACK at follow up. At our Aldi, the chances of getting a trolley outside is a win - you generally have to go back to the car park and get one from the stack that are blocking the road - when asked why ( unlike Coles/Woolworths ) there aren't any out side, response is - not our problem Aldi hire outsiders to do the job and they don't start till after 11.00am, head office useless, also my daughter found a nail in a packet of chips - she reported it, gave them the necessary required information - response, here is $2.00 and the nail is not ours !!!!!!, so good prices bad backup.

• Wow
Reactions: joshram and Ricci

Aldi's comment s the very reason why you should not be advertising this "hack" - not dishonest, as the money placed in the slot is always returned - just awkward if the fake coin jams the trolley! :(

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Yep, good old Aldi - great at promotion but SLACK at follow up. At our Aldi, the chances of getting a trolley outside is a win - you generally have to go back to the car park and get one from the stack that are blocking the road - when asked why ( unlike Coles/Woolworths ) there aren't any out side, response is - not our problem Aldi hire outsiders to do the job and they don't start till after 11.00am, head office useless, also my daughter found a nail in a packet of chips - she reported it, gave them the necessary required information - response, here is $2.00 and the nail is not ours !!!!!!, so good prices bad backup.
I am lucky to have 2 stand alone Aldi close to home so always avoid the no trolley situation. As for the nail I have no idea what else you could have done about that

Reactions: Ricci
I have never used an Aldi trolley. In my shopping centre you have to walk past Woolies to get to Aldi so I always pick up a Woolies small trolley. Aldi doesn't have small trolleys so I don't think I'm cheating too much!!;)
If I shop Aldi I pick up at woolies also only 3 shops between them, and I park on woolies end.

Reactions: Ricci
If the person has access to 25 cents to hack an Aldi trolley they could also keep a gold $1 or $2 coin in their wallet/purse or a token on their key ring!
This person would possibly rethink this option if they had to replace any coin operated trolleys!

My first time at Aldi a few years ago, I went to get a trolley, but didn't have any coins so I told the operator inside & She gave Me a $2 coin... So when I was finished I took the $2 coin back. I then purchased an ALDI token to use, and I carry it in My wallet which has a place for 2 coins... and I use it all the time... Perfect.. Lee 68autobug.