Nineties rock icon wows fans with a recent appearance on a breakfast show

The '90s were, without a doubt, a golden age for rock music. Iconic bands and songwriters like R.E.M, Weezer and John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls brought us chart-toppers we still know and love today.

Aside from his incredible vocals and talent for creating those classic tunes we all know and love, Rzeznik also rose to fame during this decade thanks to his shaggy blonde hair and 'sex symbol' status.

Recently, the music legend appeared on Seven's The Morning Show to promote his upcoming Aussie tour, and viewers were taken aback at just how much he'd changed!

Sporting a maroon cap, Rzeznik's face looked smoother than it did when he was decades younger.

Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 11.25.22 AM.png
Nineties rock legend John Rzeznik was unrecognisable when he appeared on a TV show. Credit: Seven.

Flashing his ever-present smile, Rzeznik announced his excitement to return to Australia in February to a warm welcome from the hosts. Not just that, but he also shared that he has been focusing on his well-being, trading Aussie beers for beach trips and cutting back on drinking.

Many did not anticipate that Rzeznik's breakout album from the ‘90s would continue to resonate with audiences, even in the digital age, more than two decades later.

The Goo Goo Dolls, like many other bands from that era, are experiencing a resurgence on social media. Young people are rediscovering their music and creating viral covers of their famous songs.

This renewed popularity is a testament to the enduring appeal and relevance of the band's music. In fact, one of their biggest hits, 'Iris', recently surpassed a billion streams on Spotify! Now that's a feat.

When asked if he foresaw such lasting success for his music, Rzeznik confessed it was a pleasant surprise. At 57 years old, he remains both amazed and humbled by the enduring lifespan of his musical creations.

'You always hope, but no,' he told The Morning Show.

He added, 'Of course, you hope that you've built something that will last.'

Naturally, fame can come with its struggles, particularly during the peak of your career, and it's no different for John Rzeznik. The singer has often spoken of his personal battles with alcohol, and in more recent times, it seems the pandemic helped him gain perspective.

'You can tend to sort of take it for granted,' he said in an interview. 'Having it taken away was eye-opening… The hardest part for me was feeling the loss of purpose. And I think a lot of people felt that.'

Credit: GooGooDollsCentral.

But that hasn't stopped him.

At 57, it seems Mr Rzeznik still has a few tricks up his sleeve. 'I still have ideas for songs in my head,' he said.

'I'm not ready to just hang it up and be a nostalgia act. I'm still swinging. That's all you can ask for.'

Key Takeaways

• Nineties rock icon John Rzeznik changed his look significantly, surprising fans when he appeared on Seven's The Morning Show.
  • He shared his enthusiasm about returning to Australia on tour in February next year, trading Aussie beer for beach time as a recovering alcoholic.
  • The Goo Goo Dolls' music has gained a resurgence on social media, with younger generations discovering their biggest classics. Their hit song 'Iris' recently hit a billion streams on Spotify—a huge surprise and honour to Rzeznik.
  • Rzeznik remains a dedicated musician and has struggled with the void left by pandemic restrictions which halted performances, sharing that he still has ideas for songs and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club think that's a pretty impressive motto to live by, and we'll be keeping a keen eye out for his upcoming Australian tour dates!

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are you a fan of his music? Do you have any favourite songs? Share them with us in the comments below!

• Haha
Reactions: Zoya and NotNats
Sponsored
The '90s were, without a doubt, a golden age for rock music. Iconic bands and songwriters like R.E.M, Weezer and John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls brought us chart-toppers we still know and love today.

Aside from his incredible vocals and talent for creating those classic tunes we all know and love, Rzeznik also rose to fame during this decade thanks to his shaggy blonde hair and 'sex symbol' status.

Recently, the music legend appeared on Seven's The Morning Show to promote his upcoming Aussie tour, and viewers were taken aback at just how much he'd changed!

Sporting a maroon cap, Rzeznik's face looked smoother than it did when he was decades younger.

View attachment 26168
Nineties rock legend John Rzeznik was unrecognisable when he appeared on a TV show. Credit: Seven.

Flashing his ever-present smile, Rzeznik announced his excitement to return to Australia in February to a warm welcome from the hosts. Not just that, but he also shared that he has been focusing on his well-being, trading Aussie beers for beach trips and cutting back on drinking.

Many did not anticipate that Rzeznik's breakout album from the ‘90s would continue to resonate with audiences, even in the digital age, more than two decades later.

The Goo Goo Dolls, like many other bands from that era, are experiencing a resurgence on social media. Young people are rediscovering their music and creating viral covers of their famous songs.

This renewed popularity is a testament to the enduring appeal and relevance of the band's music. In fact, one of their biggest hits, 'Iris', recently surpassed a billion streams on Spotify! Now that's a feat.

When asked if he foresaw such lasting success for his music, Rzeznik confessed it was a pleasant surprise. At 57 years old, he remains both amazed and humbled by the enduring lifespan of his musical creations.

Naturally, fame can come with its struggles, particularly during the peak of your career, and it's no different for John Rzeznik. The singer has often spoken of his personal battles with alcohol, and in more recent times, it seems the pandemic helped him gain perspective.

'You can tend to sort of take it for granted,' he said in an interview. 'Having it taken away was eye-opening… The hardest part for me was feeling the loss of purpose. And I think a lot of people felt that.'

At 57, it seems Mr Rzeznik still has a few tricks up his sleeve. 'I still have ideas for songs in my head,' he said.

'I'm not ready to just hang it up and be a nostalgia act. I'm still swinging. That's all you can ask for.'

Key Takeaways

• Nineties rock icon John Rzeznik changed his look significantly, surprising fans when he appeared on Seven's The Morning Show.
  • He shared his enthusiasm about returning to Australia on tour in February next year, trading Aussie beer for beach time as a recovering alcoholic.
  • The Goo Goo Dolls' music has gained a resurgence on social media, with younger generations discovering their biggest classics. Their hit song 'Iris' recently hit a billion streams on Spotify—a huge surprise and honour to Rzeznik.
  • Rzeznik remains a dedicated musician and has struggled with the void left by pandemic restrictions which halted performances, sharing that he still has ideas for songs and doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club think that's a pretty impressive motto to live by, and we'll be keeping a keen eye out for his upcoming Australian tour dates!

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are you a fan of his music? Do you have any favourite songs? Share them with us in the comments below!

Gone too far trying to stay young looking - Sorry he now looks like a cheap plastic Ken doll. YUCK.

I remember them and they had some really good songs. He probably would look better without the plastic surgery. I’m a bit perplexed as to why people have to comment that they have never heard of them if you don’t know them just move on.

Reactions: Jestah and 52KID

View attachment 26168

Key Takeaways

there is a facelift if ever I saw one..... wouldn't have a clue who he is....

If you don’t know “The Goo Goo Dolls“ please just listen to “Iris”.
One of the most beautiful songs from the movie “City of Angels“ starring Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan.
I do, however, wish that he left his beautiful face alone.