Nine pulls the plug on hit reality show amidst quest for new stars

TV networks have to keep their content fresh and engaging to hold viewers' interest and keep those ratings high.

This means being able to make the tough decision to axe programs that don't bring in the audience numbers.

Unfortunately for fans of this reality series, Nine Network has recently made the call to cancel this much-loved program.

Channel Nine has decided to cancel the reality series My Mum, Your Dad after just two seasons.

The show, hosted by Kate Langbroek, followed a group of single parents on their quest for love, with a twist—their adult children were secretly orchestrating their dating lives.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 8.50.41 AM.jpeg
Channel Nine's show My Mum, Your Dad has been cancelled. Credit: @mymumyourdad / Instagram

According to TV Blackbox, Channel Nine confirmed on Tuesday that the show would not be returning, citing that ‘2024 is a big Olympic year and it won't be in the schedule’.

The news of the cancellation reportedly leaked before several Nine employees were even informed of the decision.

Interestingly, the show's production house, ITV Studios, had published an online casting call for the 2024 season as recently as September.

However, the casting website now states that casting for season 3 has 'closed'.

My Mum, Your Dad has faced a struggle with ratings since the lacklustre debut of its second season in November.

The 2023 season premiere drew in only 290,000 fans in the metro ratings, a significant 26 per cent drop from the show's debut episode in 2022, as reported

This cancellation is the latest in a series of axed shows by Nine in recent months.

In May, the network discontinued the family-friendly cooking show Snackmasters after just two seasons and ten episodes.

Snackmasters, based on a British format of the same name, challenged skilled chefs to recreate the taste of Australia's most-loved snacks. However, its metro ratings fell to 311,000 by the end of its second season.

In September, Nine also confirmed that their adventure series Rush had been axed. Hosted by Survivor star David Genat, the Amazing Race-inspired series debuted to a meagre metro rating of 301,000 in July. The show failed to impress viewers, with just 270,000 fans tuning in for the season finale.

Adding to the list of cancellations, Millionaire Hot Seat has also been cancelled after 14 years on air. The game show, hosted by Eddie McGuire and boasting 15 seasons, wrapped up in November.

While the cancellation of these shows may be disappointing for fans, it's worth noting that Channel Nine is likely to introduce new programming to fill these slots. The network has a history of producing successful reality TV shows, and it's likely that they will continue to experiment with new formats and concepts.

As always, the world of television is constantly evolving, and while it's sad to say goodbye to beloved shows, there's always something new and exciting on the horizon.
Key Takeaways
  • Channel Nine has cancelled the reality series My Mum, Your Dad after only two seasons due to poor ratings.
  • The cancellation was announced before some Nine employees had been informed and shortly after a casting call for the 2024 season had been published.
  • This cancellation follows others by the network, including Snackmasters and their adventure series Rush.
  • Long-running game show Millionaire Hot Seat has also been cancelled, ending after 14 years on air.
What are your thoughts on these cancellations? Have you ever watched an episode of My Mum, Your Dad? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
TV networks have to keep their content fresh and engaging to hold viewers' interest and keep those ratings high.

This means being able to make the tough decision to axe programs that don't bring in the audience numbers.

Unfortunately for fans of this reality series, Nine Network has recently made the call to cancel this much-loved program.

Channel Nine has decided to cancel the reality series My Mum, Your Dad after just two seasons.

The show, hosted by Kate Langbroek, followed a group of single parents on their quest for love, with a twist—their adult children were secretly orchestrating their dating lives.

View attachment 36791
Channel Nine's show My Mum, Your Dad has been cancelled. Credit: @mymumyourdad / Instagram

According to TV Blackbox, Channel Nine confirmed on Tuesday that the show would not be returning, citing that ‘2024 is a big Olympic year and it won't be in the schedule’.

The news of the cancellation reportedly leaked before several Nine employees were even informed of the decision.

Interestingly, the show's production house, ITV Studios, had published an online casting call for the 2024 season as recently as September.

My Mum, Your Dad has faced a struggle with ratings since the lacklustre debut of its second season in November.

The 2023 season premiere drew in only 290,000 fans in the metro ratings, a significant 26 per cent drop from the show's debut episode in 2022, as reported

This cancellation is the latest in a series of axed shows by Nine in recent months.

In May, the network discontinued the family-friendly cooking show Snackmasters after just two seasons and ten episodes.

Snackmasters, based on a British format of the same name, challenged skilled chefs to recreate the taste of Australia's most-loved snacks. However, its metro ratings fell to 311,000 by the end of its second season.

In September, Nine also confirmed that their adventure series Rush had been axed. Hosted by Survivor star David Genat, the Amazing Race-inspired series debuted to a meagre metro rating of 301,000 in July. The show failed to impress viewers, with just 270,000 fans tuning in for the season finale.

Adding to the list of cancellations, Millionaire Hot Seat has also been cancelled after 14 years on air. The game show, hosted by Eddie McGuire and boasting 15 seasons, wrapped up in November.

While the cancellation of these shows may be disappointing for fans, it's worth noting that Channel Nine is likely to introduce new programming to fill these slots. The network has a history of producing successful reality TV shows, and it's likely that they will continue to experiment with new formats and concepts.

As always, the world of television is constantly evolving, and while it's sad to say goodbye to beloved shows, there's always something new and exciting on the horizon.
Key Takeaways

• Channel Nine has cancelled the reality series My Mum, Your Dad after only two seasons due to poor ratings.
  • The cancellation was announced before some Nine employees had been informed and shortly after a casting call for the 2024 season had been published.
  • This cancellation follows others by the network, including Snackmasters and their adventure series Rush.
  • Long-running game show Millionaire Hot Seat has also been cancelled, ending after 14 years on air.
What are your thoughts on these cancellations? Have you ever watched an episode of My Mum, Your Dad? Let us know in the comments below!
Good riddance it was a horrible show. Woman with too much make up dressed like bimbos at that age really🤡all the men were obnoxious wankers.yuk.🤣goodbye you’ve had your five seconds of fame.

I have never watched it. Maybe Chanel 7 need to follow suit with Big Brother , who even watches these shows
agreee- so many of these reality shows over reactive responses and facial expressions. People dont fall in love that suck to be upset like they do. They are watching cameras rtoo. There is nothing to hold your interest. The first couple were ok. But now its all "ego" and so called "pretty" and not real people at all.

Thank goodness for that! Now all we have to hope is that all reality shows are cancelled on all channels
They are all contrived, I can't believe that anybody with half a brain would watch them, just garbage
I can understand people who like cooking watching these shows, or people like me who are interested in renovating. But even all these shows can do without all the bull they put in, with people arguing, etc.
Big Brother, MAFS, Fantasy Island and the like are an insult to people's intelligence.

Thank goodness for that! Now all we have to hope is that all reality shows are cancelled on all channels
They are all contrived, I can't believe that anybody with half a brain would watch them, just garbage
I can understand people who like cooking watching these shows, or people like me who are interested in renovating. But even all these shows can do without all the bull they put in, with people arguing, etc.
Big Brother, MAFS, Fantasy Island and the like are an insult to people's intelligence.
Totally agree🤣

View attachment 36791

Key Takeaways

such pathetic programes. get a life.

Was scripted sensationalist over produced reality show down, just another half dozen need to join it's extinction. Guess the olympics has finally given something back.

Reactions: Jennie
Get rid of all these reality shows they are all becoming worse and I only see the promos as I wont watch them. I did watch My Kitchen rules but was sick of the nasty way these people act so gave that away but the rest are just rubbish

View attachment 36791

Key Takeaways

Dont watch free to air anything anymore coz its all just crappy reality (and reality, seriously). there are plenty of low cost channels available, so much better.

Remember when TV was intertaining. Now it's all trash shows. Thank you to the guy who invented internet streaming. No more crapavision for me.

View attachment 36791

Key Takeaways

Great they should cancel a few more.Really can't believe it's a hit show I for one think it's weird

Reactions: Shane/#

View attachment 36791

Key Takeaways

Good news for Eddie McGuire dislikers he’s not back next year with millionaire. The aust version of my favourite show tipping point with Todd Woodbridge is taking over the 5.00 time slot on 9. Yeah😍