Nightmare in the pantry: Woman's ‘haunting’ discovery prompts extreme response

When it comes to the sanctity of our kitchens, there's nothing quite as unsettling as the discovery of unwanted guests.

For one woman named Nicole, the nightmare became a reality when she found her pantry had been invaded by a swarm of tiny bugs, and led her to turn her once orderly food haven into a scene of chaos.

Nicole's drastic response to the infestation was to empty her entire pantry as she shared footage of her kitchen surfaces buried under jars and food items.

The source of her dismay? Her plastic jars of red pepper flakes and oats were teeming with what she described as 'millions' of small bugs.

photo 1 (7).jpg
Nicole discovered bugs in some of her pantry staples. Image source: @iamahoneybeeblog/TikTok

'We had to empty everything out of our pantry,' she lamented. 'What kind of bug is this [and] why are there 500 million of them in our red pepper flakes—[they're] terrorising me.'

‘Does anyone have any idea what this is? This is gonna haunt my dreams,’ she added.

Dr Tom White, an entomologist, spoke about Nicole's predicament.

While he couldn't pinpoint the exact species without seeing them, he suggested that they were likely a type of beetle commonly referred to as flour or biscuit weevils.

These critters are notorious for infiltrating our cupboards and feasting on poorly sealed foods.

compressed-nadia-pimenova-UgeZDqfofXU-unsplash.jpeg
Dr White shared that the insects Nicole found in her pantry were likely flour or biscuit weevils. Image source: Unsplash

The revelation that weevils could thrive in something as spicy as chilli flakes may come as a surprise to many, but Dr White clarified that while it's not their preferred environment, some weevils are not deterred by the heat and will infest any accessible food source.

The term 'weevil' is often used to describe various beetles found in our pantries, but as Dr White explained, the creatures we commonly call flour weevils and biscuit weevils are actually different types of beetles altogether.

‘“Weevil” is one of those common names that is used for very different groups of beetles, [though] true weevils belong to a single family and have a characteristic long snout,’ he explained.

‘They’re both often lumped together as “weevils”,’ Dr White said.

In Australia, home to over 4,110 species of weevils, these pests can be more than just a nuisance; they can wreak havoc in agriculture and homes alike.

The good news is that if you accidentally consume one, they don't pose a health threat. But let's be honest, no one wants to find out they've been dining on weevils.

To prevent these critters from taking over your pantry, cleanliness and proper food storage are key.

Ensure that all food containers are tightly sealed and that your pantry is kept clean. If you do find yourself facing an infestation, it's crucial to act swiftly.

Identify and dispose of the most heavily affected products to stop the spread.

One social media user shared a tip: ‘I put a bay leaf in all my pasta, rice, flour, etc. I have not had a weevil since, in anything!’

You can watch Nicole’s video here:

Source: @iamahoneybeeblog/TikTok​

For those dealing with a minor infestation, the Department of Primary Industries in Western Australia suggests treating small quantities of food by heating it in the oven for at least an hour at temperatures between 55-60 degrees Celsius, which will kill the insects.

Alternatively, the New South Wales Department of Primary Industries recommends freezing the food for 48 hours to eradicate any eggs, larvae, or adult insects lurking within.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Nicole found her pantry infested with 'millions' of small bugs, leading her to remove all contents for thorough cleaning.
  • An entomologist identified the bugs, likely as flour or biscuit weevils and noted that these kinds of beetles can infest a variety of foods, even chilli flakes.
  • Across Australia, there are over 4,110 species of weevils, which can be a nuisance in homes but pose no threat if accidentally consumed.
  • To prevent and treat pantry infestations, keeping food storage clean and sealed is crucial, and infested products should be disposed of immediately or treated by heating or freezing.
Have you been affected by weevils before? Do you have tips on keeping the pantry pest-free? We'd love to hear your stories and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm wondering how many times does she actually clean her pantry out?

Does she wait until her container is empty , then washing it out before refilling it.

You would be surprised at how many people top up their containers leaving really old product at the bottom.

By the look at her sink and bench her storage wasn't very good.

Once a week I completely empty my pantry one shelf at a time. I wiped each shelf and check use by dates I do the same to my fridges

Last edited:
Yes there are, we looked them up, but so far nothing is working. We're thinking of throwing everything out and wiping the pantry out with peppermint oil and keeping bay leaves in there to try and repel them. 🤞

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Yes there are, we looked them up, but so far nothing is working. We're thinking of throwing everything out and wiping the pantry out with peppermint oil and keeping bay leaves in there to try and repel them. 🤞
Happened to me once i did the bay leaf thing and vinegar which I do all the time now I hate dirty shelves.👍

I have had a moth infestation once.
Even though I have tightly sealed containers and clear the pantry regularly, the little beggars just kept on coming. I just went through everything like a SWAT team. Very important to seek those little nests that look like cobwebs. My mission was successful and there were no prisoners.
It makes you feel like you are not doing things as well as you could. I have been told that sometimes the eggs are already in the things you buy and all they need is the right environment to hatch and go on a rampage.
It's a worry.

Even though I have tightly sealed containers and clear the pantry regularly, the little beggars just kept on coming. I just went through everything like a SWAT team. Very important to seek those little nests that look like cobwebs. My mission was successful and there were no prisoners.
It makes you feel like you are not doing things as well as you could. I have been told that sometimes the eggs are already in the things you buy and all they need is the right environment to hatch and go on a rampage.
It's a worry.
Great post funny😁
Good luck with it.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
It's a worry.
Spot on with everything you said 👌.

My daughter and son are my carers and they are trying their best. Unfortunately it only takes one tiny egg to reinvest the pantry. My daughter has been throwing out anything suspect.
Suggest they look for the little cobwebs in your containers , and, check any newly opened packets while pouring into a container. It's very much a mother nature thing that your son and daughter have little control over. Sounds like you have a caring couple of kids who I am sure will leave no leaves unturned.

Last edited: