Newlyweds speak out about devastating bus crash that claimed the lives of 10 guests

The world of marriage brings joy to many, often signifying the next phase of a couple's beautiful life journey together. There’s no doubt some of our fondest memories are from weddings we’ve attended.

Yet, fate can be cruel, casting a shadow of tragedy upon such joyous occasions. This sad reality befell Mitchell Gaffney and Madeleine Edsell on their wedding day—after a horrifying bus crash claimed the lives of ten of their guests.

The newly married couple has recently broken their silence to express their gratitude for their community's 'outpouring of love and support' in the face of this heartbreaking tragedy.

In their first statement since the disaster, Mitchell and Madeleine respectfully requested privacy as they grieve. 'Our primary focus at this time is processing this tragedy, and supporting our family and friends, which is why we’d like to formally decline any requests for media interviews.'

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.26.38 AM.png
Mitchell Gaffney and Maddy Edsell have released a statement following the bus crash that killed 10 of their guests. Credit: Facebook.

Mitchell's father, John Gaffney, has also posted a plea on LinkedIn for action on bus seatbelts. He wants to see something positive come out of this unimaginable loss.

'It was a glorious occasion until news of the bus crash with ten people losing their lives… Hopefully, something positive can come out of this tragedy. Fifty years ago, the fitting and wearing of seat belts became compulsory in Australia for all occupants of motor cars saving countless lives since.’

‘We believe ultimately everyone who rides a bus should have access to a seatbelt and be compelled by laws to wear them.' The family is asking for a joint effort to lobby federal and state MPs to bring about the change.

Over 40 people were on the bus as it departed the Wandin Valley resort, where Mitchell and Madeleine had celebrated their nuptials on June 11. The Singleton Roosters AFC, a regional football club, lost seven members in the crash and are seeking privacy as they process the tragedy.

Dylan Hixon, the President of the club, addressed the media: 'Our community has experienced unfathomable heartache, distress, and sadness after a number of people closely connected to the club were on board and either injured or killed.'

In an incredible show of support for the affected families, the football club and the Rotary’s Hunter Valley (NSW) Bus Tragedy Fund have raised over $732,000 to aid those involved in the accident.

Bus driver Brett Button, 58, faces ten counts of dangerous driving occasioning death and one count of negligent driving regarding the crash and was freed on bail.

Key Takeaways

• Mitchell Gaffney and Madeleine Edsell have broken their silence and thanked the community for their support following a horrific bus crash that killed ten wedding guests.
  • The couple has requested privacy as they grieve and support their family and friends.
  • Mr Gaffney's parents have called for changes in bus seatbelt laws, urging the public to lobby federal and state MPs for change.
  • A campaign and Rotary's Hunter Valley (NSW) Bus Tragedy Fund have raised significant funds for families affected by the bus crash.

We at the Seniors Discount Club offer our heartfelt condolences to everyone impacted by this unexpected and devastating tragedy. In life, we often face unexpected challenges and hardships, but it is during these difficult moments that the resilience of our communities and the strength of our relationships with loved ones truly come to light.

May this serve as a poignant reminder of the significance of valuing every moment in life and cherishing those dear to us. In honour of those we have lost and in solidarity with the survivors, their families, and the affected communities, let us unite and provide support, uplifting one another in any way we can.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Feel free to leave a comment below.

Sponsored
I cannot begin to imagine the turmoil that this young couple is in over the deaths and injuries of their wedding guests. How horrible to live with that for the rest of your married life even when it was the first day of what should have been one of the best days of both their lives. My heart goes out to them but what can anyone say? I will be interested to see what the outcome is of the trial of the driver.

I can't even imagine what this young couple are going through as well as the survivors, their family and friends, the first responders and their whole community.

I'm guessing they won't be celebrating their anniversary the normal way in the years to come.

I hope everyone respects their privacy.

Sadly last weekend a young rugby league player passed away while playing footy , he played for Singleton and they had just done a group prayer for the Singleton Roosters and the other survivors from the bus crash

20 years ago our local football club (at the time)suffered the loss of seven players to a plane crash on their end of year trip away to Tasmania. We know what your this club is going through & every year we have a drink for them at the local hotel on the date. Good luck to this football club we feel for you.

My advice to the young couple would be to have another wedding so that every year they can remember their friends on that awful date and then have a happy anniversary on their new wedding date. They should not be denied the happiness of a wedding anniversary like everyone else.

The world of marriage brings joy to many, often signifying the next phase of a couple's beautiful life journey together. There’s no doubt some of our fondest memories are from weddings we’ve attended.

Yet, fate can be cruel, casting a shadow of tragedy upon such joyous occasions. This sad reality befell Mitchell Gaffney and Madeleine Edsell on their wedding day—after a horrifying bus crash claimed the lives of ten of their guests.

The newly married couple has recently broken their silence to express their gratitude for their community's 'outpouring of love and support' in the face of this heartbreaking tragedy.

In their first statement since the disaster, Mitchell and Madeleine respectfully requested privacy as they grieve. 'Our primary focus at this time is processing this tragedy, and supporting our family and friends, which is why we’d like to formally decline any requests for media interviews.'

View attachment 22806
Mitchell Gaffney and Maddy Edsell have released a statement following the bus crash that killed 10 of their guests. Credit: Facebook.

Mitchell's father, John Gaffney, has also posted a plea on LinkedIn for action on bus seatbelts. He wants to see something positive come out of this unimaginable loss.

'It was a glorious occasion until news of the bus crash with ten people losing their lives… Hopefully, something positive can come out of this tragedy. Fifty years ago, the fitting and wearing of seat belts became compulsory in Australia for all occupants of motor cars saving countless lives since.’

‘We believe ultimately everyone who rides a bus should have access to a seatbelt and be compelled by laws to wear them.' The family is asking for a joint effort to lobby federal and state MPs to bring about the change.

Over 40 people were on the bus as it departed the Wandin Valley resort, where Mitchell and Madeleine had celebrated their nuptials on June 11. The Singleton Roosters AFC, a regional football club, lost seven members in the crash and are seeking privacy as they process the tragedy.

Dylan Hixon, the President of the club, addressed the media: 'Our community has experienced unfathomable heartache, distress, and sadness after a number of people closely connected to the club were on board and either injured or killed.'

In an incredible show of support for the affected families, the football club and the Rotary’s Hunter Valley (NSW) Bus Tragedy Fund have raised over $732,000 to aid those involved in the accident.

Bus driver Brett Button, 58, faces ten counts of dangerous driving occasioning death and one count of negligent driving regarding the crash and was freed on bail.

Key Takeaways

• Mitchell Gaffney and Madeleine Edsell have broken their silence and thanked the community for their support following a horrific bus crash that killed ten wedding guests.
  • The couple has requested privacy as they grieve and support their family and friends.
  • Mr Gaffney's parents have called for changes in bus seatbelt laws, urging the public to lobby federal and state MPs for change.
  • A campaign and Rotary's Hunter Valley (NSW) Bus Tragedy Fund have raised significant funds for families affected by the bus crash.

We at the Seniors Discount Club offer our heartfelt condolences to everyone impacted by this unexpected and devastating tragedy. In life, we often face unexpected challenges and hardships, but it is during these difficult moments that the resilience of our communities and the strength of our relationships with loved ones truly come to light.

May this serve as a poignant reminder of the significance of valuing every moment in life and cherishing those dear to us. In honour of those we have lost and in solidarity with the survivors, their families, and the affected communities, let us unite and provide support, uplifting one another in any way we can.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Feel free to leave a comment below.
after all this time are seat belts in buses not compulsory? It is the person driving that is most responsible. My sympathies to all families concerned.

Reactions: Macarj and Big G
SEATBELTS
A bus from my home town was crashed into at Bacchus Marsh and was pushed over a steep embankment. It was full of secondary students heading away somewhere special. Apparently, every one of them had seat belts correctly fastened. Most were asleep. A small number were injured. SIMPLE REASON NONE WERE KILLED OR SERIOUSLY INJURED BECAUSE OF CORRECTLY WORN SEATBELTS.

My advice to the young couple would be to have another wedding so that every year they can remember their friends on that awful date and then have a happy anniversary on their new wedding date. They should not be denied the happiness of a wedding anniversary like everyone else.
What a good idea. It would still be too raw right now but perhaps in a few months time. I wish both of them strength, love and hope 💞

Totally agree with compulsory seat belts, and maybe there could be some kind of electronic alert to the Bus Driver that someone is not wearing their seat belt, then the Driver could announce over the speaker that the passenger buckles up their seat belt before the Bus Driver resumes driving.
Another alternative is that if a passenger hasn't fastened their seat belt it would automatically disable the bus from starting and alert the Bus Driver of the seat number, then again the Bus driver could announce over speaker the culprit to buckle up as they're letting everyone else down.
Absolute tragedy what happened, my prayers go out to the families and community who have lost someone, and the Bride and Groom. RIP

Reactions: Ezzy
Some years ago we were overseas on a bus tour. The driver encouraged everyone to use the seat belts. He mentioned that the police in the area issued large fines for non wearing of seat belts. When we got to the next town, and he stopped, he mentioned that the police were coming. Immediately we heard click, click, click etc as the idiots who had not complied suddenly did them up. Can never understand those who don't use them.
Back in the early seventies before seatbelts were compulsory, I was giving a colleague a lift from a country town to Perth. I wouldn't drive until she put her seat belt on. She said that she trusted my driving. I replied that I trusted my driving too, but I didn't trust anyone else.

Words never seem to be enough at moments like this.

Prayers for all people affected by this terrible tragedy. We share your grief with each & every person.

Like your thoughts @ Josephine Thorpe with regards to preventive measures where seat belts are concerned.