IanDeay

Mar 22, 2023
New user

Thank you for accepting me I am 68 years old and when I stop injuring myself I am embarking on the grey nomads big lap and I estimate at least 3 years to complete the first lap as I am no longer in a hurry having been retired for 6 years and have no one to miss me when I am away so just take my time to see everything I can in this amazing country I have no urge to travel overseas as I can’t imagine seeing everything Australia has to offer before I shuffle off this mortal coil , the reference to injuring myself is the fact that the week before I was to leave I broke my leg and spent 12 weeks in hospital only to outdo this fracture 2 months later by snapping my Tibea and Fibula in half requiring surgery and another 4 months in hospital and now I need two knee replacements I think I ran over a herd of black cats who were standing on a mirror underneath a network of ladders the old story if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck .

Anyway as soon as I can get around semi freely I am packing up the Ute and caravan and setting off thanks for putting up with an old man’s rambling

New user

Thank you for accepting me I am 68 years old and when I stop injuring myself I am embarking on the grey nomads big lap and I estimate at least 3 years to complete the first lap as I am no longer in a hurry having been retired for 6 years and have no one to miss me when I am away so just take my time to see everything I can in this amazing country I have no urge to travel overseas as I can’t imagine seeing everything Australia has to offer before I shuffle off this mortal coil , the reference to injuring myself is the fact that the week before I was to leave I broke my leg and spent 12 weeks in hospital only to outdo this fracture 2 months later by snapping my Tibea and Fibula in half requiring surgery and another 4 months in hospital and now I need two knee replacements I think I ran over a herd of black cats who were standing on a mirror underneath a network of ladders the old story if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck .

Anyway as soon as I can get around semi freely I am packing up the Ute and caravan and setting off thanks for putting up with an old man’s rambling
Hello @IanDeay! Thank you so much for joining and sharing your story with us. I hope you're as fine as can be now. I love that no matter what has happened, you still haven't lost the spark to explore Australia! If that isn't determination, then I don't know what is!

'I think I ran over a herd of black cats who were standing on a mirror underneath a network of ladders' is also, in my opinion, a sample of literary genius, and I hope you don't mind if I one day steal it (Kidding, of course!) :LOL:

There is another old saying if you don’t laugh you will cry so I choose to laugh not to say I don’t have my downtimes when you hear the bones in your leg break that is a sound I never want to hear again and it took a long time to come back from that , if you want to use any of my crazy sayings please feel free because most of them have roots in old time Australian behaviour which I love

Reactions: Jarred Santos
All that seems to be missing from your explanation of the the source of your badluck is that it all started on a Friday the 13th. No point in asking your advice on this weeks lotto numbers :(

There is another old saying if you don’t laugh you will cry so I choose to laugh not to say I don’t have my downtimes when you hear the bones in your leg break that is a sound I never want to hear again and it took a long time to come back from that , if you want to use any of my crazy sayings please feel free because most of them have roots in old time Australian behaviour which I love
Choosing to laugh when all is bleak is something I can get behind (because I do it too, haha)!

But that being said, how did you sustain that mindset long enough to be where you're now mentally?