S

Sean Camara

New Telstra scam puts 18 million Australians at risk: Here’s how to stay safe

It is not breaking news that scammers are getting more inventive in how they deceive people, especially when they pose as real companies.

However, did you know that a recent report revealed that an estimated 18 million Telstra customers are being targeted by scammers?

No need to do a double take, folks. This alarming news was shared by MailGuard last week, alerting and advising the customers of the telecommunications company to 'be wary' of emails from accounts posing to be Telstra.

Telstra customers have been warned by MailGuard not to divulge their login and passwords if they receive a fraudulent refund email that claims they have been 'paid twice owing to a system error'.

The group noted that it would be especially disastrous to fall for the scam since, if con artists are successful in getting hold of consumer information, they may next take their phone numbers and change bank account passwords.

MailGuard also shared some details about the usual format of the emails, pointing out that scammers usually use the subject line 'Reminder: Refund ID: TLS51128499822AUS! Fri, 26 Aug 2022 07:49:01 +0300'.

It was also said that customers are addressed by the scammers as 'dear customer', and in the email thread, 'Service Inc.' is listed as the sender.

MailGuard noted that while the sender does not appear to be a legitimate DHL source, the actual email address is 'return (at) dhl (dot) com', allowing unsuspecting customers to reply to the sender as if it was sent by an automated system.

So, how do the con-men scam out money from Telstra customers?

The potential victims are instructed to finalise a claim by clicking the 'Refund the amount' option in order to have the amount refunded to their credit card.

The link will then direct the customers to a fake Telstra website where they must enter their login and password. Then, they will be instructed to enter their credit card information, which the scammers will use for accessing your bank account.

Customers who fall prey to the scheme may later become the target of a SIM swap scam, MailGuard warned.

For those of you who are not aware of this trick, scammers use a phone number they have obtained illegally and use it to change the victim's password on their own devices.

F2_CK7TvC7vsFOi44IpTtIKqybb8eHWIdlUKwRXTK_ihPWBKjOeSntRG8SNsvYZdF3sOZEcHTkGhGAgWThX5MekOE_FWHpIkf54GcKDSjYbdZuVYYplzT-xybkdrplUOmV_58sULasHm0jM-RSdBv4Jg0WgsM0Oh3YWZn2-tkSMRBbQfg6Mvb8sr

Customers are redirected to a website that was designed to look similar to a legitimate Telstra website. Credit: news.com.au via MailGuard.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority estimates that a SIM switch victim in Australia will often lose a staggering $28,000 to hackers (ACMA).

We should be careful when checking emails from service providers as they may be from scammers posing as that business. It's important to be vigilant when checking your email, as scammers are constantly coming up with new ways to trick people.

If you're not sure whether an email is legitimate, contact the company directly to confirm. This means looking up their official contact page and website. Don't click on any links or attachments in the email, as these could be malicious. If you do receive a suspicious email, report it to the company and delete it.

Stay safe, folks! We recommend checking the Scam Watch section of the SDC website regularly to be informed on the most recent scams that we should all be on the lookout for and be knowledgeable about how we can avoid falling for them.

There are so many scams I do feel for those that get caught but most people are aware of them. BUT there are people that do not have normal mental abilities that may get caught. Yesterday I had "Visa" call but I don't
have a visa card. I just laugh at them and hang up They are a B nuisance

Reactions: Ezzy
It is not breaking news that scammers are getting more inventive in how they deceive people, especially when they pose as real companies.

However, did you know that a recent report revealed that an estimated 18 million Telstra customers are being targeted by scammers?

No need to do a double take, folks. This alarming news was shared by MailGuard last week, alerting and advising the customers of the telecommunications company to 'be wary' of emails from accounts posing to be Telstra.

Telstra customers have been warned by MailGuard not to divulge their login and passwords if they receive a fraudulent refund email that claims they have been 'paid twice owing to a system error'.

The group noted that it would be especially disastrous to fall for the scam since, if con artists are successful in getting hold of consumer information, they may next take their phone numbers and change bank account passwords.

MailGuard also shared some details about the usual format of the emails, pointing out that scammers usually use the subject line 'Reminder: Refund ID: TLS51128499822AUS! Fri, 26 Aug 2022 07:49:01 +0300'.

It was also said that customers are addressed by the scammers as 'dear customer', and in the email thread, 'Service Inc.' is listed as the sender.

MailGuard noted that while the sender does not appear to be a legitimate DHL source, the actual email address is 'return (at) dhl (dot) com', allowing unsuspecting customers to reply to the sender as if it was sent by an automated system.

The potential victims are instructed to finalise a claim by clicking the 'Refund the amount' option in order to have the amount refunded to their credit card.

The link will then direct the customers to a fake Telstra website where they must enter their login and password. Then, they will be instructed to enter their credit card information, which the scammers will use for accessing your bank account.

Customers who fall prey to the scheme may later become the target of a SIM swap scam, MailGuard warned.

For those of you who are not aware of this trick, scammers use a phone number they have obtained illegally and use it to change the victim's password on their own devices.

F2_CK7TvC7vsFOi44IpTtIKqybb8eHWIdlUKwRXTK_ihPWBKjOeSntRG8SNsvYZdF3sOZEcHTkGhGAgWThX5MekOE_FWHpIkf54GcKDSjYbdZuVYYplzT-xybkdrplUOmV_58sULasHm0jM-RSdBv4Jg0WgsM0Oh3YWZn2-tkSMRBbQfg6Mvb8sr

Customers are redirected to a website that was designed to look similar to a legitimate Telstra website. Credit: news.com.au via MailGuard.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority estimates that a SIM switch victim in Australia will often lose a staggering $28,000 to hackers (ACMA).

We should be careful when checking emails from service providers as they may be from scammers posing as that business. It's important to be vigilant when checking your email, as scammers are constantly coming up with new ways to trick people.

If you're not sure whether an email is legitimate, contact the company directly to confirm. This means looking up their official contact page and website. Don't click on any links or attachments in the email, as these could be malicious. If you do receive a suspicious email, report it to the company and delete it.

Stay safe, folks! We recommend checking the Scam Watch section of the SDC website regularly to be informed on the most recent scams that we should all be on the lookout for and be knowledgeable about how we can avoid falling for them.

No words…so many warnings!!!!

I just do not give out info on a cold call if it be by phone or email and will not click on links on am email I am not expecting and will delete them.

Reactions: Ezzy and DON77
I answer all unknown numbers in a very irritated voice with these words "Yeah who are you, what'd you want, better be important coz I'm busy"....they usually hang up straight up except for automated callers then I hang up on them. Latest calls I've gotten are from people claiming they have missed a call from my number. Leave them speechless when I tell them that that must be the hand of God at work as I don't have credit on my phone so it's impossible for me to make calls or send texts so it's pretty useless trying to scam me and then I hang up.

There are so many scams I do feel for those that get caught but most people are aware of them. BUT there are people that do not have normal mental abilities that may get caught. Yesterday I had "Visa" call but I don't
have a visa card. I just laugh at them and hang up They are a B nuisance
But when You have had a problem with something from a company they are saying they are with.... like Telstra - Foxtel- or the Federal police - etc.... at first You believe them.... but if they have an Accent... I usually hang up.... I have had calls from the Federal Police - Fraud Squad - telling Me that some one was taking money from one of My accounts.... All the emails telling Me I have a parcel to pick up etc.... etc... I just delete them.... even when waiting for a parcel to arrive... a while back , I was winning an iphone every few weeks.... plus the free groceries from Woolworths & ALDI.... I had won.... We no longer answer any phone calls to numbers We don't know.. . so all those relatives that have changed their phone numbers.... You will have to call in & tell Us Your new phone number...lol... 68autobug Lee

Reactions: Ezzy and DON77
I answer all unknown numbers in a very irritated voice with these words "Yeah who are you, what'd you want, better be important coz I'm busy"....they usually hang up straight up except for automated callers then I hang up on them. Latest calls I've gotten are from people claiming they have missed a call from my number. Leave them speechless when I tell them that that must be the hand of God at work as I don't have credit on my phone so it's impossible for me to make calls or send texts so it's pretty useless trying to scam me and then I hang up.
OMG,, I didnt know that anyone still knew of Pepe-Le-Pew... I thought Sylvester must have finally agree to a relationchip...I have named pups Pepe because they are so cute just like Pepe-Le-Pew...In 1986, on the new Parliament Building Site, I ninknamed a guy Pepe-Le-Pew because of his terrible wind problem and it stuck ... LOL...Still I love Pepe-Le-Pew

Had a text message today stating”something bad has happened Mum please call me on Snapchat on a number I didn’t recognise”. I deleted it immediately, none of my children would contact me this way. it’s a scam
People who do this are scum

Hi just thought I would also share the text message I received the other day it said Hey Mum I have brought the wrong bankcard to the supermarket with me can you please put $150. into my account so I can pay and I will fix you up when I get home. Then the BSB and Account no. for the money to be put into. I did not fall for it..

DON,T CONFIRM your number by telling you,ll call back . if no identity decline . if it says TELSTRA etc decline and call telstra .

These people are not necessarily hackers.
Why do I say this?
Tesltra are responsible for the massive waves of scams happening now.
How?
Well, back some 10-15 years ago, Telstra contracted Indian Companies to handle OUR telephone system and customers, including Landline and Mobile services.
Remember when we would have a problem we would call Telstra Helpline and what did we get?
An assistant who had a definite hindu/hindi accent and when we mentioned that we had a problem with the service and needed help THEY SIMPLY HUNG-UP.
I had a situation where I was being charged for a service that I did NOT have and I was being threatened with debt collections
After taking the problem to a Telstra Shop, I asked for help, the Shop assistant rang for me and THEY HUNG UP when told the problem. The guy who called for me said that it happens to them too, all the time. If the call wasn't for purchases, pricing or ordering equipment THEY HUNG UP.
I called the Ombudsman, who promptly gave me a phone number to call and to ask for a particular person to handle the problem and give her a reference Number regarding the intervention of the Ombudsman.
I was now talking to an Australian in Australia. The problem fixed and all threats were recalled immediately.
Today is not those days, the phone assistants seem to be in Australia, BUT ALL OUR INFORMATION that went to India, I believe, and that millions of customer details are now being sold to disreputable persons.
I never answer unknown telephone numbers UNLESS they leave a message. 99% DON'T.
I cannot work-out why, when they are answered, that the caller DOES NOT SPEAK. Originally, I did answer until I acquired the phone I have now which most times tells me where the number is calling from. Many are from London, Amsterdam and other big cities. That could mean that they are using Proxy Servers that cannot be traced easily.
My guess is that they are using robotics to check whether the phone number is active or not.
The person who uses a continuous sound whistle (GREAT IDEA) if it is robotic it my be mistaken for a FAX MACHINE. So keep that idea up it is so good.