New survey reveals Australia’s top picks for sweet and savoury meals — did your favourite make the cut?

A new study has revealed the favourite sweet and savoury meals of the Aussie populace.

Are you ready to find out if your favourite makes the cut?

Pure Profile conducted a survey asking Australians from all over the country which sweet and savoury foods are their favourite.

The survey — commissioned by pay television company Foxtel ahead of the season premiere of the 5th instalment of The Great Australian Bake Off (GABO) — divulged that Australia's most loved sweet guilty pleasure is none other than the cheesecake.

AMcCWWE5ezP2QoLdjNvf2CIumfmOZC4fTOmhSElRWp_krnslasY0aiYncd0Q82zwfWuPvcm38b6Bk42F3QnwxFRWZz0VIGGjZRQibeLKNgir7f8JFfAUNlgRRPA1MKfxVZUySEM

Australians’ favourite dessert is cheesecake, according to a new study. Credit: news.com.au.

Expecting a different answer? Well, it’s not a Vegemite cake or a Pavlova.! The data has indeed revealed that the savoury-turned-sweet dessert emerged as the number 1 go-to sweet treat of Aussies nationwide.

If you were expecting to see Aussie classics — such as lamingtons and Anzac biscuits — at the top of the list, well then we have even more bad news.

The two aforementioned sweet treats did not even make it into the top 5. The silver medal was taken out by cookies, followed by doughnuts, brownies and finally banana bread.

“A little surprising that cheesecake was number one but if that’s the case, everyone is going to love that we have Maggie (Beer’s) very special technical cheesecake in the series which they’ll have to keep an eye out for,” GABO judge and local restaurateur Matt Moran said, admitting that he was surprised with the results.

Okay, now that we have revealed the nation's top picks for sweet treats, let us now disclose the savoury meals that Australians love.

Any guesses as to which meals make the top 5 list?

Unsurprisingly, the number one spot for the nation's favourite savoury meals is shared by two classic Aussie dishes — meat pies and sausage rolls!

__htAswHjuMyozVBfAdR1OfQOMOfBJcWyB0Te3kL3kWiLT40ZEvCWv1II7KWu2VZWab9vLB9vn8h9KwGdrFIbTzd8cHOG637ZSMUDnr-oAAzfvxyIBJWhlCbUHf8W8RQ_-L5mSk
1H5VbZ_aS8Td816MXAc9XD4o7RaYv7HIWMkLL73_krs5_iZGPt8_ku_gLWf7yfp_SAow4eapDPFTrP1XeqT9k0b4kqAfg-aG5eARjjTpeP6QrlotDjrNl0c9nLgso1cyxn-svAw

Unsurprisingly, the number one spot for Australia’s favourite savoury treats is shared by meat pies and sausage rolls. Credit: Jonathan Ng/news.com.au.

Rounding up the top 5 is quiche, which came in third, croissants in fourth, and finally, focaccia in fifth.

Elsewhere in the report, it was revealed that Aussies prefer sweet over savoury meals, with 57 per cent admitting that they crave more sugary treats.

Additionally, it was revealed that the residents of Queensland consume more sweet treats than savoury, with a staggering 63 per cent of the respondents residing from the sunshine state admitting this preference.

Mr Moran said: “I’m not really surprised that Australia has voted sweet over savoury, I’ve always said that I’m sweet and Maggie is savoury so it’s nice to have one on her."

Suddenly craving a sweet treat yourself? Well, how about trying this delicious cheesecake recipe!

Credit: Oh Yum with Anna Olson

Reactions: Liag and Ricci
Sponsored
I love a good baked cheese cake, not the New York, it’s too sweet, and not a fan of the Graham (gram!) cracker, again !, crust, too much cinnamon and nutmeg, give me milk arrowroot any day. Love passionfruit short bread, with seeds! Love spinach cheese cake, topped with grated parmesan whilst still warm, so it melts, yum.
Cookies are soft, not quite cooked, we get biscuit from biscotti, which means twice cooked so they’re firm and goid for dunking in either tea, coffee or liqueur.

Reactions: Ricci
What is wrong with the old fashioned sweetened condensed milk cheesecake if you want something sweet and you can add passionfruit or lemon into it. That is what I grew up with and still make today if I fancy something sweet.