New Scam on the Rise: Australians Warned to Stay Vigilant Against ‘myGov Refund' Scheme

There's no denying that receiving a surprise refund or cashback is a feeling that many of us love. Whether it's from a store, a credit card company, or a service provider, getting some extra money back into our pockets can be a welcome surprise.

In recent years, cashback offers have become increasingly popular, with more and more businesses offering them as a way to incentivise customers to make purchases or use their services.

While cashback schemes are gaining popularity, receiving surprise rebates from government agencies can still raise concerns and lead to questions about their legitimacy.

In fact, one of our members recently notified us that she had received an email from an account claiming to be myGov, informing her that she was entitled to a refund.

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 10.20.04 pm.png
A screenshot of the email that SDC member Rita received from an account purporting to be myGov. Credit: Seniors Discount Club/Supplied.

'Just received this and it looks genuine but how do I check it out without a lot of problems?' SDC member Rita asked.

'I don't know why I would be getting of any sort from the Government.'

Well, folks, the bad news is that it appears that this email may be another ploy for scammers to target unsuspecting Australians…

Scamwatch has issued a warning to stay vigilant and watch out for emails or messages that appear to be from myGov claiming that you are eligible for a refund or rebate.

The group also advised against clicking through any links included in a suspicious email or message.

Reports of myGov scams have been on the rise, with a 160% increase in reported scams in January 2023 compared to December 2022.

To illustrate the type of scam messages they’re seeing, Scamwatch used two examples that they recently encountered.

The first was a text message which reads: 'MyGov: We attempted to deposit your refund but we had issue [sic] with your banking information. Pls [sic] confirm your details.'

However, the message is suspicious due to its poor grammar and spelling.

21122880-b886-11ed-9dbf-bc044980c56a

A sample ‘scammy’ text message that Scamwatch warned us to look out for. Credit: Scamwatch.

The same goes for an email example they presented, which also came with a myGov logo and claimed that the potential victim was eligible for a $758.92 refund.

The email reads: ‘After the last annual calculation we noticed that you are eligible to receive a sum of $758.82 AUD,.’

‘To submit the application electronically please fill out the form. Once completed you will be asked to confirm that the information in the document is correct.’

Here are some additional warning signs you should watch out for in any messages claiming to be from myGov:

• It's addressed to 'Dear Customer'

• The email address does not appear to be related to myGov

• There is an urgent call to action

• You’re asked for personal information (even if it says it’s for 'verification purposes')

• You’re asked to make a payment to receive a refund

The bottom line here, members, is to use your best judgement: if you’re ever in doubt of the legitimacy of a message claiming to be from myGov, ignore it.

Not only is it likely a scam, but it’s not worth the risk of clicking on a link or getting caught – especially with your personal information on the line.

Key Takeaways
  • Aussies have been warned to be wary of myGov scams.
  • Scamwatch reported a 160 per cent increase in myGov scams reported in January.
  • Common scam examples include text messages and emails that say you are 'eligible for a refund or rebate'.
  • Scamwatch reminds Aussies to never click any hyperlink in a suspicious email or text.

If you believe you may have been the victim of a scam, or you see any other suspicious activity emails or texts from a myGov address, contact Scamwatch immediately and report the situation. They will be able to provide assistance.

Stay safe out there, folks! Also, please consider sharing this article with your friends and family so they can be informed of this ploy too. A huge thank you again to member Rita for bringing this to our attention.

Sponsored
There's no denying that receiving a surprise refund or cashback is a feeling that many of us love. Whether it's from a store, a credit card company, or a service provider, getting some extra money back into our pockets can be a welcome surprise.

In recent years, cashback offers have become increasingly popular, with more and more businesses offering them as a way to incentivise customers to make purchases or use their services.

While cashback schemes are gaining popularity, receiving surprise rebates from government agencies can still raise concerns and lead to questions about their legitimacy.

In fact, one of our members recently notified us that she had received an email from an account claiming to be myGov, informing her that she was entitled to a refund.

View attachment 14891
A screenshot of the email that SDC member Rita received from an account purporting to be myGov. Credit: Seniors Discount Club/Supplied.

'Just received this and it looks genuine but how do I check it out without a lot of problems?' SDC member Rita asked.

Well, folks, the bad news is that it appears that this email may be another ploy for scammers to target unsuspecting Australians…

Scamwatch has issued a warning to stay vigilant and watch out for emails or messages that appear to be from myGov claiming that you are eligible for a refund or rebate.

The group also advised against clicking through any links included in a suspicious email or message.

Reports of myGov scams have been on the rise, with a 160% increase in reported scams in January 2023 compared to December 2022.

To illustrate the type of scam messages they’re seeing, Scamwatch used two examples that they recently encountered.

The first was a text message which reads: 'MyGov: We attempted to deposit your refund but we had issue [sic] with your banking information. Pls [sic] confirm your details.'

A sample ‘scammy’ text message that Scamwatch warned us to look out for. Credit: Scamwatch.

The same goes for an email example they presented, which also came with a myGov logo and claimed that the potential victim was eligible for a $758.92 refund.

The email reads: ‘After the last annual calculation we noticed that you are eligible to receive a sum of $758.82 AUD,.’

‘To submit the application electronically please fill out the form. Once completed you will be asked to confirm that the information in the document is correct.’

Here are some additional warning signs you should watch out for in any messages claiming to be from myGov:

• You’re asked for personal information (even if it says it’s for 'verification purposes')

The bottom line here, members, is to use your best judgement: if you’re ever in doubt of the legitimacy of a message claiming to be from myGov, ignore it.

Not only is it likely a scam, but it’s not worth the risk of clicking on a link or getting caught – especially with your personal information on the line.

Key Takeaways

• Scamwatch reported a 160 per cent increase in myGov scams reported in January.
  • Common scam examples include text messages and emails that say you are 'eligible for a refund or rebate'.
  • Scamwatch reminds Aussies to never click any hyperlink in a suspicious email or text.

If you believe you may have been the victim of a scam, or you see any other suspicious activity emails or texts from a myGov address, contact Scamwatch immediately and report the situation. They will be able to provide assistance.

Stay safe out there, folks! Also, please consider sharing this article with your friends and family so they can be informed of this ploy too. A huge thank you again to member Rita for bringing this to our attention.
I received one Feb 22. do not know how to share but it says.
My Gov: Your profile has been placed on hold pending review, kindly visit https://mygove-user.info/ to resolve It does not look official to me and I have not opened it. Maybe you can check this out and let me know what you think?

I received a call on my mobile from Visa Fraud, I hung up and reported it to my bank and scam watch. I am sick of having to be so vigilant with these people. I wish they would do something good for people.

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 14891

Key Takeaways

From x2? Capital O, no space after comer etc.

View attachment 14891

Key Takeaways

The only email you ever get from MyGov is one telling you that you have mail and to please log into your MyGov account to receive it. There are no links, no hints as to what the mail is about or anything. Anything else should be deleted straight away as it's coming from scammers. :(
Very Very true

Yes, I received one for the same amount as the $700 one and took it as being real. I took no action. The irony of this is that last year I received a similar letter from the ATO for a refund of $1100. And it was real ! I DID get that refund , purportedly from some super fund

Always delete and contact the relevant government department, mobile or landline provider etc personally to confirm it is them. Most genuine providers will not contact you by phone or text message. As previously mentioned by another Seniors Discount Club member - then wait for a postal copy of what has been ‘said’ in a text message or phone call.

If you are due a refund or any amount of money from anyone it will be in your account without you having to give anyone your account number.

Reactions: Ezzy and Liz