New 'PayPal' email scam targets Aussies: Is your account safe?

There's one thing we can all agree on: scams are a cruel reality of our online lives. Every day, they evolve and become increasingly difficult to spot, especially when they take the form of emails purporting to be genuine.

Unfortunately, this is the situation many have recently found themselves in, with scam artists now targeting PayPal, a trusted payment platform for many Aussies.

These fraudsters are sending emails that appear to be from PayPal's payment notification service.

The fake receipts contain detailed instructions for how to complete the payment, as well as a phone number that unsuspecting victims are told to call if they believe the charges are incorrect.

photo (4).jpg
Cybercriminals are scamming credit card and personal details through a brazen new phishing email. Credit: Member @Cheb, Shutterstock.

However, on closer inspection, these emails are actually phishing attempts by cybercriminals, and the phone number leads to a different kind of scam.

Rather than connecting the would-be victim to a PayPal representative, the number connects them to a criminal seeking to acquire personal details and credit card information to 'reverse' the nonexistent transaction.

There's even an extra layer of irony to this: the emails purport to be for a subscription to Norton 360 Deluxe, which provides users with all the added protection they need from cybercriminal activity.

Mark Gorrie, APAC Managing Director for Norton, told a news source that its cybersecurity platforms block around 300,000 fraudulent emails and text messages daily in Australia.

He also noted that brands like Norton and PayPal are often targeted due to their recognisable status.

'These are common brands that people know and trust,' he said.

Mr Gorrie advised that you should avoid using the contact details provided if you receive an unsolicited email or text. Instead, take the time to independently find the company's contact information and contact them directly if you have questions about a message or transaction.

Member @Cheb is among those who received a similar-looking phishing email from 'PayPal'. In a post on the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website, she wrote: 'I received an email from PayPal saying that my payment for a NORTON Deluxe package had been received and if I didn't authorise this charge, I had 24 hours to cancel and get a refund.'

'Of course, this was a scan because I have never had a PayPal account or ever used NORTON.'

To make matters worse, she received the same email again a few days later, with the only difference being the 'payment date'.

'I am guessing that I will receive more of the same. Eventually, they may get the hint and stop sending them,' she said. Fortunately, she refrained from clicking on any links in the email, as doing so might have led to harmful malware inadvertently being downloaded onto her device.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been warned about a new phishing scam imitating a legitimate email from PayPal.
  • The scam involves victims receiving a fake payment receipt for a Norton 360 Deluxe subscription, which includes a phone number for customer support.
  • However, the phone number connects the victim to a cybercriminal who asks for personal and credit card information.
  • Norton's APAC Managing Director, Mark Gorrie, advised people never to use the contact details provided in unsolicited emails or texts and instead directly contact the company to verify any suspicious transactions.

We should all be extra cautious about emails that request personal information or payment details.

It's a good practice to protect your online accounts with strong passwords and two-factor authentication and regularly review your account statements for unauthorised activities.

And if you receive any similar scam emails or text messages, please don't hesitate to post and share them on the Scam Watch forum, just as member @Cheb did. This way, you can help other members stay safe and remain vigilant against any fraudulent activities that may be circulating.

We hope that you continue to stay safe online, members!

Sponsored
McAfee emails also making the rounds saying subscription has ended click to renew. I use Krapinsky so that stuffs that up for them. Click on the sender to expand the email address and you'll see that it is not a company sending. Spelling atrocious too.

Reactions: DLHM and Phyll
I’ve received a few emails from Norton. Don’t use them so just Bin them or report as Spam Mail.
I did get My Bank Account cleaned out by a group purporting to be TotalAddblock as I had regular monthly Subscriptions to them my Bank paid them leaving me in Deficit. Lucky for me I noticed within minutes & had my Card Stopped. I did ask the Bank why they allowed them to take everything & leave me in Deficit?? They Repaid me everything. Their is a real TotalAdd Block that stops all the adds on YouTube Netflix but this mob made their site look almost identical to the Real TotalAdd Block.

Reactions: Kellettw
Firstly if you've never used, or paid for, something like Norton, or any other strange request you get, then don't worry about it. They certainly do NOT have your bank details already unless these messages are answered then you'd be in trouble.

I use PayPal for a lot of payments as it's much quicker and convenient. I sometimes get stupid emails that are supposed to be from them, but the subject matter is just laughable and I ignore them.

However, what I do do with them, and what SDC should make clear in these articles, and what PayPal recommend, is forward the messages on to [email protected] then delete them.

Just don't panic when you see these messages. These people are just waiting for one person to answer. If anything is urgent the legitimate company would soon get hold of you officially.

There's one thing we can all agree on: scams are a cruel reality of our online lives. Every day, they evolve and become increasingly difficult to spot, especially when they take the form of emails purporting to be genuine.

Unfortunately, this is the situation many have recently found themselves in, with scam artists now targeting PayPal, a trusted payment platform for many Aussies.

These fraudsters are sending emails that appear to be from PayPal's payment notification service.

The fake receipts contain detailed instructions for how to complete the payment, as well as a phone number that unsuspecting victims are told to call if they believe the charges are incorrect.

View attachment 29698
Cybercriminals are scamming credit card and personal details through a brazen new phishing email. Credit: Member @Cheb, Shutterstock.

However, on closer inspection, these emails are actually phishing attempts by cybercriminals, and the phone number leads to a different kind of scam.

Rather than connecting the would-be victim to a PayPal representative, the number connects them to a criminal seeking to acquire personal details and credit card information to 'reverse' the nonexistent transaction.

There's even an extra layer of irony to this: the emails purport to be for a subscription to Norton 360 Deluxe, which provides users with all the added protection they need from cybercriminal activity.

Mark Gorrie, APAC Managing Director for Norton, told a news source that its cybersecurity platforms block around 300,000 fraudulent emails and text messages daily in Australia.

He also noted that brands like Norton and PayPal are often targeted due to their recognisable status.

Mr Gorrie advised that you should avoid using the contact details provided if you receive an unsolicited email or text. Instead, take the time to independently find the company's contact information and contact them directly if you have questions about a message or transaction.

Member @Cheb is among those who received a similar-looking phishing email from 'PayPal'. In a post on the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website, she wrote: 'I received an email from PayPal saying that my payment for a NORTON Deluxe package had been received and if I didn't authorise this charge, I had 24 hours to cancel and get a refund.'

'Of course, this was a scan because I have never had a PayPal account or ever used NORTON.'

To make matters worse, she received the same email again a few days later, with the only difference being the 'payment date'.

'I am guessing that I will receive more of the same. Eventually, they may get the hint and stop sending them,' she said. Fortunately, she refrained from clicking on any links in the email, as doing so might have led to harmful malware inadvertently being downloaded onto her device.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have been warned about a new phishing scam imitating a legitimate email from PayPal.
  • The scam involves victims receiving a fake payment receipt for a Norton 360 Deluxe subscription, which includes a phone number for customer support.
  • However, the phone number connects the victim to a cybercriminal who asks for personal and credit card information.
  • Norton's APAC Managing Director, Mark Gorrie, advised people never to use the contact details provided in unsolicited emails or texts and instead directly contact the company to verify any suspicious transactions.

We should all be extra cautious about emails that request personal information or payment details.

It's a good practice to protect your online accounts with strong passwords and two-factor authentication and regularly review your account statements for unauthorised activities.

And if you receive any similar scam emails or text messages, please don't hesitate to post and share them on the Scam Watch forum, just as member @Cheb did. This way, you can help other members stay safe and remain vigilant against any fraudulent activities that may be circulating.

I have had those PayPal emails saying they have renewed my membership with Nortons for hundreds of dollars and I know it’s a scam because I don’t use Nortons. I delete them and I will get another one the next day and the next day for over a month hopefully they will get the message and stop sending them. Very annoying.

Reactions: pascoevale and Ezzy

View attachment 29698

Key Takeaways

Reactions: pascoevale

View attachment 29698

Key Takeaways

i know exactly what i purchase on paypal but one needs to be most observant.

Reactions: pascoevale and Ezzy
For the last month I have been getting so much spam. Norton's and McAfee are the most common. As I have never signed on to either site I have sent them straight to Junk. 70 percent of my junk mail is taken up with scams. One day they may give up.

Reactions: Ezzy
Fortunately, to date, l have not received this scam but as members stated they don't use these sites. There is still a lot of daily junk mail which still needs deleting from the Junk File. Anything up to 300 or more. Guess these keep someone employed but still a nuisance for me.

I downloaded the AVG app a few weeks ago and it keeps telling me that I have to allow it full access to everything on my phone for it to work. Isn't it sad how we can't even trust our antivirus software these days. I've since uninstalled it 😞

Reactions: Ezzy