New myGov security threat: Watch out for this suspicious text message

In today's digital age, we rely heavily on different services and websites to manage our personal information.

However, this convenience also comes with a cost - security concerns.

Unfortunately, scammers are constantly coming up with new ways to exploit unsuspecting victims, and a recent scam targeting Aussie myGov users is a prime example.

The scam involves sending a text message that falsely claims that the user's Services Australia account has been 'breached' and their information has been altered.

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 11.35.36 AM.png
The scam text message may tell you to click on a link or access a web form in order to 'verify' the alleged unauthorised access to your myGov account. Credit: Unsplash/NordWood Themes.

The scam works by sending a text message to the victim, falsely claiming that their Services Australia account has been breached and their personal information has been changed. The message may contain alarming language that is intended to create a sense of urgency and panic in the recipient.

The scammer may then instruct the victim to click on a link or fill out a web form to 'verify' the alleged unauthorised access to their myGov account. This is a ploy to gain the victim's trust and steal their personal information and banking details.

Once the victim clicks on the link or fills out the web form, the scammer can gain access to their personal information and potentially use it for malicious purposes. This could include stealing the victim's identity, draining their bank account, or accessing other sensitive information.

It's important to remember that Services Australia will never ask for your personal information or banking details via text message or email. If you receive a suspicious message, do not click on any links or provide any personal information.

Instead, contact Services Australia directly to verify the authenticity of the message.

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 11.35.43 AM.png
If you've received a text message about unauthorised myGov account access, it could be a scam. Credit: myGov.

Services Australia has specific guidelines for how they communicate with individuals, and there are some ways to tell if the message is really from them.

If you receive an email or text message from them, it may include important information such as appointment requests or reminders, payment notifications, or confirmation of changes to your details. They may also notify you of a new message in your myGov Inbox.

If you owe money to Services Australia, they will send a letter to your preferred method of communication, whether it's your myGov Inbox, the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app, or via mail.

It's important to be aware of the methods of communication that Services Australia uses, so you can be vigilant about any suspicious messages you receive.

If you receive a letter from Services Australia and you are not sure if it is legitimate, you can call the Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk at 1800 941 126 or email them at [email protected]. They will be able to assist you in determining whether the letter is genuine or a potential scam.

Remember, Services Australia will NEVER.jpg
If you receive a suspicious email or text message that claims to be from Services Australia, there are some important steps you should take.

Firstly, do not open the message, click on any links or respond to the sender. Doing any of these things could compromise your personal information and potentially lead to identity theft.

Instead, you should report the suspicious message to Services Australia immediately. This will allow them to investigate the matter and potentially prevent others from falling victim to the same scam.

Finally, delete the message from your inbox to prevent any accidental access to the links or attachments.

By taking these precautions and staying vigilant, you can help protect yourself and your personal information from online scams and cyber threats. Remember, it's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to your personal information and security.

If you want more information and advice on how to protect yourself and your accounts from scams, you can watch the video below. This video provides useful tips and guidelines on how to identify and avoid common online scams, including those targeting Services Australia and myGov users.

Credit: Services Australia.

We hope this article has provided you with helpful information and insights into how to protect yourself from scams.

In today's digital age, cybercriminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their tactics, which means it's more important than ever to stay up-to-date with the latest security developments and take the necessary precautions to keep your personal information safe.

If you're interested in learning more about online scams and cyber threats, you may find these articles helpful as well. They cover various types of scams and frauds that you may not have heard about, and provide practical tips on how to protect yourself and your personal information:
What are your thoughts? If you have any additional tips or advice for staying safe online, we encourage you to share them with others in the comments section below. By working together and sharing our knowledge and experiences, we can help build a safer and more secure online community for everyone.

Sponsored
In today's digital age, we rely heavily on different services and websites to manage our personal information.

Unfortunately, scammers are constantly coming up with new ways to exploit unsuspecting victims, and a recent scam targeting Aussie myGov users is a prime example.

The scam involves sending a text message that falsely claims that the user's Services Australia account has been 'breached' and their information has been altered.

View attachment 15943
The scam text message may tell you to click on a link or access a web form in order to 'verify' the alleged unauthorised access to your myGov account. Credit: Unsplash/NordWood Themes.

The scam works by sending a text message to the victim, falsely claiming that their Services Australia account has been breached and their personal information has been changed. The message may contain alarming language that is intended to create a sense of urgency and panic in the recipient.

The scammer may then instruct the victim to click on a link or fill out a web form to 'verify' the alleged unauthorised access to their myGov account. This is a ploy to gain the victim's trust and steal their personal information and banking details.

Once the victim clicks on the link or fills out the web form, the scammer can gain access to their personal information and potentially use it for malicious purposes. This could include stealing the victim's identity, draining their bank account, or accessing other sensitive information.

It's important to remember that Services Australia will never ask for your personal information or banking details via text message or email. If you receive a suspicious message, do not click on any links or provide any personal information.

Instead, contact Services Australia directly to verify the authenticity of the message.

View attachment 15942
If you've received a text message about unauthorised myGov account access, it could be a scam. Credit: myGov.

Services Australia has specific guidelines for how they communicate with individuals, and there are some ways to tell if the message is really from them.

If you receive an email or text message from them, it may include important information such as appointment requests or reminders, payment notifications, or confirmation of changes to your details. They may also notify you of a new message in your myGov Inbox.

If you owe money to Services Australia, they will send a letter to your preferred method of communication, whether it's your myGov Inbox, the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app, or via mail.

It's important to be aware of the methods of communication that Services Australia uses, so you can be vigilant about any suspicious messages you receive.

If you receive a letter from Services Australia and you are not sure if it is legitimate, you can call the Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk at 1800 941 126 or email them at [email protected]. They will be able to assist you in determining whether the letter is genuine or a potential scam.

If you receive a suspicious email or text message that claims to be from Services Australia, there are some important steps you should take.

Firstly, do not open the message, click on any links or respond to the sender. Doing any of these things could compromise your personal information and potentially lead to identity theft.

Instead, you should report the suspicious message to Services Australia immediately. This will allow them to investigate the matter and potentially prevent others from falling victim to the same scam.

Finally, delete the message from your inbox to prevent any accidental access to the links or attachments.

By taking these precautions and staying vigilant, you can help protect yourself and your personal information from online scams and cyber threats. Remember, it's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to your personal information and security.

If you want more information and advice on how to protect yourself and your accounts from scams, you can watch the video below. This video provides useful tips and guidelines on how to identify and avoid common online scams, including those targeting Services Australia and myGov users.

We hope this article has provided you with helpful information and insights into how to protect yourself from scams.

In today's digital age, cybercriminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their tactics, which means it's more important than ever to stay up-to-date with the latest security developments and take the necessary precautions to keep your personal information safe.

If you're interested in learning more about online scams and cyber threats, you may find these articles helpful as well. They cover various types of scams and frauds that you may not have heard about, and provide practical tips on how to protect yourself and your personal information:
What are your thoughts? If you have any additional tips or advice for staying safe online, we encourage you to share them with others in the comments section below. By working together and sharing our knowledge and experiences, we can help build a safer and more secure online community for everyone.

just last night I received an email for LATITUDE, claiming that my personal information was stolen by malicious cyber-attackers! Question: I HAVE NEVER APPLIED TO Latitude for ANYTHING!! so how come my name came up here? Is this a scam or NOT? Should I be worried - or not? I'm on an Aged Pension and live from Pension day to Pension Day, no savings, no investments, no credit cards, no car, NO NOTHING worth steeling! SHOULD I BE WORRIED? Here's a few lines from the email I received:

"On 16 March 2023, Latitude Financial Services (Latitude)1 advised all customers and the market that it was responding to a malicious cyber-attack that resulted in the theft of personal information.
Regrettably, we are writing to you today to confirm that some of your personal information has been stolen.
We sincerely apologise that this happened. Protecting your personal information is of the utmost importance to Latitude and we are taking all necessary steps to secure our platforms."

Always contact the organisation (provided you even have any dealings with it) directly via the number they post officially online or on legitimate documentation received from them (ex. back of a bank card or in a trusted letter wirh proper letterhead, etc) and never via any link or phone number provided via email or text. Always look up contact details yourself.

Try not to panic about these matters. That is where the scammers have you over a barrel. Take your time and make sure that what you are reading feels right. Never ever click on links. And if you know you dont have an account with whomever they are referring to then just delete the message.

Always contact the organisation (provided you even have any dealings with it) directly via the number they post officially online or on legitimate documentation received from them (ex. back of a bank card or in a trusted letter wirh proper letterhead, etc) and never via any link or phone number provided via email or text. Always look up contact details yourself.
That was my very first reaction, GloGal. It was a very, VERY long email I received and it also invited me to contact Latitude directly, but warned that there would be CONSIDERABLE delays on the phone as a result of hack. Honestly, I did NOT have any interaction with Latitude and I have no idea where they might have got my details from.

View attachment 15943

View attachment 15942

After deleting the message you MUST ALWAYS EMPTY THE DELETED MESSAGES FOLDER. This is an important additional step to take. Otherwise the deleted message will still sit in the memory bank of your computer.

I have had 2 now they both say they are from the My Gov and they say that they owe me $ to click on it I just delete them because they dont just give out $ to pensioners lol we only get the bear minimin lol

Great tip about deleting it from the messages folder!
It's a shame we can't make our inboxes look like traffic lights, as that's the go too security barrier, being employed by our nation's cyber security experts. ha ha ha.

My go to advice it to never as in EVER click on a link and if anything seems suspect, ALWAYS do a scam search on it. Remember it's not just machines too.
REFERENCE: I had a VERY curt phone call with a representative of the taxation department last November, who claimed that I was 13 years behind on my tax.

I informed her, that I had ended my ABN after I had a horrendous impact injury in 2010 but she refused to listen. No quiet clear communication would calm her. Whomever it was, she was off her medication for sure, on that day.

An extremely heavy fine and my incarceration was mentioned, and I burst out laughing, and told her I am not a gay man and criminality is not my world love, and I have no desire to join the jailed community as I don't know anyone at all that's in their, which probably exacerbated the problem, however she was totally incorrect.

I was given till march fifteenth, to get all documents ready for scrutiny. I ignored the stated problem, but PAID to get all my bank details, wrote a statutory declaration, found a J.P to sign it, and was told at my scheduled phone call, that I owe nothing to them at all and it was all just an unfortunate mistake.

So, the lesson I guess is, don't just roll over and give up to anyone, about anything, and if your surprised with a debt (ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE AN INDIAN ACCENT) hang up immediately. Remember to never ever, ever, ever, click a link that is part of an internet Phishing competition, as our bank details remember, are the prize.

I'm sorry but if people get caught by this latest scam, they have NOT LISTENED TO ANYONE. Last night on the news a lady got caught by the stupid scam about mum I dropped the phone need a new one. She sent $11,600. Why on earth would you send that much money for a new phone. STUPIDITY can't be corrected.

I had an urgent text call from a mate a while back, who said he was stuck in Heathrow airport because his wallet was stolen, and he desperately needed money for the flight home. He's a good friend so I walked over to his house, knocked on his door and asked him, how much did he need?

Scammers are everywhere.

Elections are on again too, but I digress...

View attachment 15943

View attachment 15942

There is a lot of stuff happening now days, I am also getting a txt from my phone company telling me my phone account has not been paid and asks me to pay it manually even though it is direct debit which is now the normal way of like in Australia whether you like it or not. I just love how we have been forced into all this crap in this technological age of "Everything is Better This Way"

just last night I received an email for LATITUDE, claiming that my personal information was stolen by malicious cyber-attackers! Question: I HAVE NEVER APPLIED TO Latitude for ANYTHING!! so how come my name came up here? Is this a scam or NOT? Should I be worried - or not? I'm on an Aged Pension and live from Pension day to Pension Day, no savings, no investments, no credit cards, no car, NO NOTHING worth steeling! SHOULD I BE WORRIED? Here's a few lines from the email I received:

"On 16 March 2023, Latitude Financial Services (Latitude)1 advised all customers and the market that it was responding to a malicious cyber-attack that resulted in the theft of personal information.
Regrettably, we are writing to you today to confirm that some of your personal information has been stolen.
We sincerely apologise that this happened. Protecting your personal information is of the utmost importance to Latitude and we are taking all necessary steps to secure our platfor

We sincerely apologise that this happened. Protecting your personal information is of the utmost importance to Latitude and we are taking all necessary steps to secure our platforms."
Hi Nanna, unfortunately, Latitude did have a massive identity theft from their records recently and they are trying to contact everyone who could be affected. I would encourage you to call Latitude Finance and ask them more about the issue in your case. They obtain your data from many areas over a period of time so it may be quite old. Do not let it worry you too much, they are working on it and if you talk to them and get more clarity it will relieve the worry a bit.

Reactions: Ezzy
Hi Nanna, unfortunately, Latitude did have a massive identity theft from their records recently and they are trying to contact everyone who could be affected. I would encourage you to call Latitude Finance and ask them more about the issue in your case. They obtain your data from many areas over a period of time so it may be quite old. Do not let it worry you too much, they are working on it and if you talk to them and get more clarity it will relieve the worry a bit.
Hi Nanna ..The simple truth is that if you aren't with the company and never have been its a PHISHING line being cast at you with a JAG hook trying to get you.
Some Phishing techniques do the cast and retrieve method by repeat trolling
Others just put a bit of bait saying there's a package to collect
Or they chum the water saying that we have benefactor.
There all Phishing ignore them.

Remember the old Internet Phishing song?

Nana Nah Nah, Nah nah nah, nah nah nah .....GOODBYE.. it's a classic
and remember to delete these scammers from your deleted box.
Cheers,
Johnny

Hi Nanna ..The simple truth is that if you aren't with the company and never have been its a PHISHING line being cast at you with a JAG hook trying to get you.
Some Phishing techniques do the cast and retrieve method by repeat trolling
Others just put a bit of bait saying there's a package to collect
Or they chum the water saying that we have benefactor.
There all Phishing ignore them.

Remember the old Internet Phishing song?

Nana Nah Nah, Nah nah nah, nah nah nah .....GOODBYE.. it's a classic
and remember to delete these scammers from your deleted box.
Cheers,
Johnny
Sorry Johnny but the correspondence from Latitude is genuine and with all your good intentions, Nanna should contact Latitude and find out the extent of her ID issue.

Reactions: Ezzy and Pink lion
I received two text messages supposedly from my gov a couple of weeks ago but i just deleted them. Obviously they were scam messages. So many now.

As an incredibly interesting, talented and attractive older man, it surprises me that don't seem to attract any local interest, however I do appear to have an internet fan club.

By email and cellphone text, especially during the past two weeks, I keep getting what I can only assume, are fallen angels reaching out with cast PHISHING lines towards me.

I repeatedly block them and still they try, (sigh) it takes me back. Ha ha ha

Watch out for them is my message, hey guys.