New diabetes jab is 'life-changing', according to researchers

Here's your daily dose of good news for today, folks!

Researchers have reported promising progress on an incredible new drug that, if successfully developed further, may have far-reaching consequences for the lives of millions of people with diabetes around the world.

Mounjaro (tirzepatide), produced by pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly, is a new method for assisting adults with type 2 diabetes in maintaining healthy blood glucose levels. It may also aid in the fight against obesity, a major public health problem.

IN6nquYdoKCY0rCvX5EAYvKu0Zzwjz65YmFj5gEM4nX9Irg32gOVxtWf4MiyMjHRuI6zuPMisTSlzZhRpojGu8fY5hjjNJfGjSA_wvOgA1xaZ52ANSqIzQrg4qrJPbEH4boekteuamxnpq-RRVXUaA8cYwMFEy3JQ9X5HDf4Yre1PCFuiNdUHEOsHg

Researchers claimed that an amazing new drug could change the lives of millions of diabetics. Credit: Everyday Health.

Tirzepatide works by imitating hormones that help control blood sugar and suppress appetite, and this helps people lose weight.

Its effectiveness has already been established, and it has been proven to be superior to other similar drugs already available in the market, including those provided by the NHS.

It also works up to 12 weeks quicker, according to recent findings that will be officially presented at an upcoming medical conference. Scientists said that the once-a-week shot was giving better results than anything else we have right now.

The majority of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight, and they typically have low levels of hormones in the body that make people feel full and satisfied after a meal.

Tirzepatide not only makes individuals feel full, but it also helps regulate diabetes by preventing low blood sugar, facilitating the removal of excess sugar from the body, and preventing the liver from producing and releasing too much sugar.

Untreated diabetes can cause blindness, limb amputations, and even coma if it progresses unchecked.

MnfcQe2W6DxTrdGnLskztP7kTj3IDoIXwpJ7HAlxNv0Id3ZP5y76s6csxESw16Sr6tMk7o-WXo1j22ug5AQSSboScggcIF25K69Krph__R6yXUnNrriedBGZw1FD5jPSpU8WvC-T6_cElqkRwt8nrabhEKDYQ_w8V0bA-fxJ0AkCCKl38QP2hah0_g

Diabetes tends to run in families. If someone in your family has diabetes, you are more likely to get it yourself. Credit: Palace Gate Practice.

What is type 2 diabetes?

The most prevalent kind of diabetes, known as type 2 diabetes, is characterised by an abnormally elevated level of sugar (glucose) in the blood. Insulin dysfunction is the root cause of type 2 diabetes, which is also associated with being overweight, not getting enough exercise, or having a family history of the disease.

It can result in symptoms including extreme thirst, frequent urination, and exhaustion. It can also raise a person's chance of developing major eye, heart, and nerve issues.

It's a chronic ailment that can have long-lasting effects on the patient's quality of life; they may need to make dietary adjustments, take medication, and go in for regular checkups to manage their symptoms.

If you have any of the above symptoms, you should make an appointment with your doctor to talk about them because they could be signs of undiagnosed type 2 diabetes.

Your doctor will look at your symptoms and any risk factors you have for type 2 diabetes. If they think you need to be tested, they will tell you to do so.

The Australian government recommends that all adults over the age of 40 get screened for type 2 diabetes every three years, regardless of whether or not they have any of the symptoms associated with the disease.

For more information and support, try these resources:
Thanks for reading, and we hope this information is useful to you, folks! Always keep in mind that it is important to talk with your doctor to better understand if you have the condition, and what you need to do to manage it.

Sponsored
I have been on a weekly dose of Ozempic for a year. I have lost 30kg and my blood sugars have regulated brilliantly. However, as doctors are now prescribing it as a weight loss aid it is becoming almost impossible for those of us with diabetes to access it. Please, please, please could we get doctors to only prescribe it tothose of us who really need it.

Reactions: Loren and Anitmcco
I have been on a weekly dose of Ozempic for a year. I have lost 30kg and my blood sugars have regulated brilliantly. However, as doctors are now prescribing it as a weight loss aid it is becoming almost impossible for those of us with diabetes to access it. Please, please, please could we get doctors to only prescribe it tothose of us who really need it.
I've been on it for about 6 months and lost 10 kg and my HBA1C has improved, also my Novorapid and Lantus dosage is much much lower than what I used to take. And yes, it is so irritating that pharmacies keep running out. There should be a stronger dosage especially for weight loss coming out soon. 🤞
🤞