New details revealed about the Westfield Bondi Junction killer

In a tragic turn of events that has left the country reeling, new information has surfaced about the man behind the devastating attack at Westfield Bondi Junction.

Joel Cauchi, a 40-year-old man, has been identified as the individual who carried out the horrific stabbing spree that claimed the lives of six individuals and left nine others with serious injuries.

The tragedy unfolded on April 13 at the bustling shopping centre, where shoppers were caught in a nightmare scenario as Cauchi embarked on a stabbing spree.

Among the victims were five women, a man, and a nine-month-old baby, who were all subjected to an unprovoked and violent assault.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 074833.png
Joel Cauchi, aged 40, was identified as the perpetrator of the horrific attack. Image source: Facebook

It is understood that Cauchi, who had recently moved to Sydney from Queensland, was known to have lived with schizophrenia.

Authorities are currently delving into his past, investigating a potential history of targeting women and a concerning obsession with knives.

It has been reported that while living with his parents in Toowoomba, his fixation with knives was so alarming that they felt compelled to remove them from his possession.

It has been reported that in the days before the attack, Cauchi appeared to be seeking social connections. He reached out on social media, inviting people to join him for a surf at Bondi Beach and expressing interest in hobbies such as shooting and astrophotography.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 075543.png
Cauchi’s post before the attack. Image source: Facebook

The posts, which initially went unnoticed, have since drawn a barrage of negative reactions as the public grapples with the aftermath of the tragedy.

Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke told the media on April 14, ‘There is still, to this point…no information we have received, no evidence we have recovered, no intelligence that we have gathered that would suggest that this was driven by any particular motivation—ideology or otherwise.’

‘We are continuing to work through the profiling of the offender, but very clearly to us at this stage, it would appear that this is related to the mental health of the individual involved,’ he added.

The police are continuing their investigation, working closely with Cauchi's family and examining his rented storage facility in Sydney. It was also believed that he had no fixed address and had actively sought shared accommodation after his move.

The question of how Cauchi obtained the weapon, described by witnesses as a 30-cm hunting knife, remains unanswered.

The response to the attack was swift and courageous. Inspector Amy Scott, who was patrolling nearby, was first on the scene. Her quick actions and bravery in confronting Cauchi, ultimately resulting in her shooting him dead, have been widely praised. She administered CPR to the assailant and other victims until backup arrived.

Moreover, two men, Damien Guerot and Silas Despreaux, demonstrated remarkable bravery during the attack. Guerot stood in Cauchi's way at the top of the escalator, preventing him from reaching the area where dozens of children were playing.

Meanwhile, Despreaux reportedly confronted Cauchi with a bollard.

The nation is mourning the loss of the victims, including Ashlee Good, a 38-year-old mother, and Dawn Singleton, daughter of multi-millionaire advertising guru John Singleton.

Nine other people suffered stab wounds, including Good’s nine-month-old baby, who is now in a serious but stable condition after emergency surgery.

Waves of tributes flood in for the victims of the horrific attack:

Source: 9 News Australia/Youtube​

The royal family was reportedly 'utterly shocked and horrified' over the attack.

In a statement, King Charles said: 'My wife and I were utterly shocked and horrified to hear of the tragic stabbing incident in Bondi. '

'Our hearts go out to the families and loved ones of those who have been so brutally killed during such a senseless attack.'

'While details of these shocking circumstances are still emerging, our thoughts are also with those who were involved in the response, and we give thanks for the bravery of the first responders and emergency services,' it read.

The Prince and Princess of Wales also posted on social media, writing: 'We are shocked and saddened by the terrible events in Sydney earlier today. Our thoughts are with all those affected, including the loved ones of those lost and the heroic emergency responders who risked their own lives to save others. W & C.'

Key Takeaways

• Joel Cauchi, a 40-year-old man with a history of schizophrenia, has been identified as the perpetrator of a stabbing spree that killed six and injured twelve others at Westfield Bondi Junction shopping centre.
  • Cauchi, who had moved from Queensland to Sydney a month prior to the attack, was known to have a fixation with knives and had recently been seeking social connections through online posts for surfing and gun-related activities.
  • The incident is being treated by police as mental health-related rather than ideologically motivated, and there is an ongoing investigation into how Cauchi acquired the weapon, described as a 30-centimetre hunting knife.
  • Six people died, and several others, including a nine-month-old baby, have been left in critical condition.
As the investigation continues, the Seniors Discount Club extends its deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the victims.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I totally agree with your statement.I dislike the word Institution, so we shall say Home instead. Build homes for these people, with elaborate safety for them and the public. If only I were rich like Packers, Murdochs, Reinharts, etc., Surely, this is desperately needed. Can’t the authorities see they are a social danger no matter what?
people who are suffering from schizophrenia and who are taking their medication lead a reasonably normal life.
The problems start when they stop taking their meds. And the downfall spiral moves fast.
I think there needs to be something put into place that makes sure their meds are taken

people who are suffering from schizophrenia and who are taking their medication lead a reasonably normal life.
The problems start when they stop taking their meds. And the downfall spiral moves fast.
I think there needs to be something put into place that makes sure their meds are taken
Yes I understand, I have to take a tablet every day, BUT I have a husband who can remind me, who cares for me, but there are thousands who don’t have this support, and these are the ones at risk.

Another stabbing in Sydney tonight , this time at a church service in Wakley.
religious leader is stabbed during a service at Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley, Sydney. (Twitter)
The injured include four men, believed to be aged in their 60s, 50s, 30s, and 20s.

The church had advertised tonight's sermon was being delivered by His Grace Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel.

He was due to give an Assyrian Bible preaching that started at 7pm.

The bishop is popular but divisive among the Orthodox community, and many of his sermons are shared online.

He attracted attention during the coronavirus lockdown in June 2021 when he criticised the restrictions and vaccine mandates

Yes I understand, I have to take a tablet every day, BUT I have a husband who can remind me, who cares for me, but there are thousands who don’t have this support, and these are the ones at risk.
That's why they need to do a register, and employ nurses to go to their houses each day to give the meds if they have no one else who can do this.

I take a tablet every day for depression and if I miss one I will be crying all day and won't leave my room

The attack on the church in Sydney last night was a terrorist attack.

This 15 year old who went on the stabbing spree is evil . This is a completely different scenario to the Bondi stabber.

There is now a huge concern of other attacks.

This attack was a religious attack.
When the attack happened hundreds of people turned up and started attacking the police with police officers attacked and injured.

This is not what Australia is about and anyone who is involved should be kicked out of our country with zero tolerance.
You come into our country you respect our rules or you will be kicked out.

These are the evil ones who are of sound mind yet bring this type of violence in our society.

The attack on the church in Sydney last night was a terrorist attack.

This 15 year old who went on the stabbing spree is evil . This is a completely different scenario to the Bondi stabber.

There is now a huge concern of other attacks.

This attack was a religious attack.
When the attack happened hundreds of people turned up and started attacking the police with police officers attacked and injured.

This is not what Australia is about and anyone who is involved should be kicked out of our country with zero tolerance.
You come into our country you respect our rules or you will be kicked out.

These are the evil ones who are of sound mind yet bring this type of violence in our society.
They pull these stunts in the countries they came from then they get very short shrift, these arseholes should be shot out of hand in my opinion.

Another stabbing in Sydney tonight , this time at a church service in Wakley.
religious leader is stabbed during a service at Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley, Sydney. (Twitter)
The injured include four men, believed to be aged in their 60s, 50s, 30s, and 20s.

The church had advertised tonight's sermon was being delivered by His Grace Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel.

He was due to give an Assyrian Bible preaching that started at 7pm.

The bishop is popular but divisive among the Orthodox community, and many of his sermons are shared online.

He attracted attention during the coronavirus lockdown in June 2021 when he criticised the restrictions and vaccine mandates
Religion raises its ugly head YET again.

Looking at the church's official website, its actual doctrines are difficult to ascertain. It is evident that Christ The Good Shepherd is Christianity based on Baptist beliefs. Whether the perpetrator was of a different faith is currently unknown. What the disturbs me is the number of "people" destroying public and private property, including police resources. Why were they in the vicinity of the church? Was this a planned attack?

Hopefully, it will come out in the wash in the next few days.

I’m in England now! And there’s been a law pushed through, implementing no racial slurs will be tolerated. If you do, it’s prison! The whites cannot, and I mean cannot say anything about any other coloured person. Yet these illegals, they can do awful things to us., and still stay in this country, trouble is the government are paying them better than their own pensioners.

What’s your point???

Well, some will think me callous but none of us are living in Gaza getting bombed by order of a psychopath intent on mass murder. There is something wrong with we H sapiens as a species; we will tear each other to pieces all so happily and in self-righteous anger, and I refer to those of us who are not schizophrenic or otherwise "mental".

I await the flak.
and known of us were living in Israel when HAMAS went over the border and slaughtered women and children and captured others. HAMAS needs to be dealt with otherwise there will never be peace in the area. Gaza has nothing to do with what happened on Saturday - no need for your comment.

Religion raises its ugly head YET again.

Looking at the church's official website, its actual doctrines are difficult to ascertain. It is evident that Christ The Good Shepherd is Christianity based on Baptist beliefs. Whether the perpetrator was of a different faith is currently unknown. What the disturbs me is the number of "people" destroying public and private property, including police resources. Why were they in the vicinity of the church? Was this a planned attack?

Hopefully, it will come out in the wash in the next few days.
He was Moslem he had also shouted Allah Akba before attacking .

Hopefully there will be no more attacks on either side.

My daughters uni friend goes to that particular church. Her and her parents were watching it on live stream.

What she said was he had been driving around the church block for a few days playing the Koran on loud speakers.

She told my daughter it is so distressing as akot of the people in that church came to Australia to get away from this type of thing. She said churches were burnt down in Assyria and I believe this because of what my son inlaw has told us , he is also Assyrian.
The area this happened in is close to Fairfield

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
His parents knew he was not taking his medication! Could not have foreseen the result,but is there any process they could have followed to alert authorities?

His parents knew he was not taking his medication! Could not have foreseen the result,but is there any process they could have followed to alert authorities?
He was an adult and it was out if his parents hands.
The police would have said he hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't committed a crime.
I think the only one the police would have listened to would have been a medical person eg psychiatrist

Reactions: Veggiepatch
BACK IN MY DAY THESE PEOPLE WERE CONFINED TO HOSPITALS, THEN THE GOVERNMENT DECIDED TO SHUNT THEM OUT INTO THE PUBLIC TO DEFEND FOR THEMSELVES. CARE AND THINK THERE FOR GOD GO i.
Vend