New Centrelink bonus scheme to boost wallets by $4,000

As the cost of living continues to rise, many Australian seniors are feeling the pinch on their finances.

However, those on the Age Pension could see a potential boost thanks to some changes in the Work Bonus scheme.

Yet this initiative could also see more retirees consider re-entering the workforce to supplement their income.

In a new update, the government permanently increased the Work Bonus income bank limit from $7,800 to a more generous $11,800.

New pension claimants could also see a $4,000 starting balance instead of starting from scratch.

For those who are rejoining the scheme, topping up to a $4,000 balance is also on the cards.

compressed-centrelink.jpeg
Centrelink's Work Bonus scheme could boost pensioners' incomes in a new update. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Nils Versemann

Financial adviser Alex Jamieson explained the benefits of this scheme, noting that a new Age Pension claimant could 'get $4,000 straight up' to their Work Bonus balance.

According to him, any unused portion of the Work Bonus can be carried over into the following year, significantly boosting a retiree's financial flexibility.
Services Australia confirmed that those who claimed between December 1, 2022, and June 30, 2024, will be eligible for a one-off Work Bonus boost of $4,000, provided they have yet to receive one.

The Work Bonus scheme is for pensioners who want to work without worrying about reduced Centrelink payments.

Under this scheme, pensioners can earn up to $300 every fortnight from employment.

Any unused amount could be stored in an 'Income Bank' for future use.

With around 195,000 new Age Pension recipients each year, this change could impact a significant number of older Australians.

Members accrue $300 to their Work Bonus balance each fortnight, now up to the maximum of $11,800.

Centrelink then uses this balance to offset any future income from work that would usually be counted under the income test.

Pensioners don't need to apply separately for the Work Bonus.

All they need to do is inform Centrelink about any income received from work, and they'll take care of the rest.

You may read more about the Work Bonus here.
As of writing, single pensioners could receive up to $212 a fortnight from any source and still be eligible for the full pension, while couples can receive $372 a fortnight.

With the Work Bonus, single pensioners could earn $512 a fortnight and $672 a fortnight for couples, all without affecting their Centrelink benefits.

Jamieson suggested that pensioners could typically work around 'one to two days per week' and recommended looking for casual employment that offers flexibility to navigate the income test thresholds easily.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink's Age Pension recipients could receive a $4,000 boost to their Work Bonus balance under new changes to the scheme.
  • Pensioners could earn up to $300 each fortnight from work without their Age Pension payments being reduced, with the ability to bank unused portions.
  • A one-off boost of $4,000 is available for new claims lodged between December 1, 2022, and June 30, 2024, should they have yet to receive a boost.
  • The increased Work Bonus could allow pensioners to work one to two days per week without affecting their Centrelink benefits, helping to mitigate cost-of-living pressures.
Are you an older Aussie who has returned to work or is considering it? Share your experiences and thoughts about this update with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yes, you do. The part pension I get from UK is usually about $240 a month; Centrelink has known about it since it was $400 a month until the dollar here was floated then it fell fast and my AU pension crept up until I was eligible for the full pension. That $200 a fortnight won't affect your pension
Of course when I became eligible for the AU pension they still had fully trained people sorting things out, now it's mostly digital.
And untrained people.

What you are not telling us is that you are ten taxed on your pension as well as what you earns you end up at in your seventies dragging yours self to work to pay a big tax bill that you were no expecting

Reactions: mylittletibbies
No good for me..at end of last Tax Year had over $11,000 in kitty (Work Bonus)...that would have been better in my Acct. I can't work because of Medical Problems. Just an excuse not to give Age Pension rise. Those of us that can't work still have Cost of Living Problems also.

Reactions: Tervueren
You can earn the amount from any source, not working only, so investments or part pension from birth country if you had worked long enough there to get a part pension. I get some from UK but it never goes up and isn't enough to affect my pension. Also it fluctuates because of the floating AU dollar but never by enough to get near the limit, and even less likelihood now.
Likewise, the UK pension was fixed in 1984 at 100 pounds sterling and never increased. Hence, it loses value every year plus varies up and down, more often down, with the dollar exchange rate, although the exchange rate according to my bank never accords with the reported rate.

• Wow
Yes, it is the disabled pensioners who get left behind. The pollies who get pay rises at the whim of a hat don't care about anyone else. As long as their bank balance is in the black, they are happy to fly around Australia at our expense, in private jets.

The Work Bonus system has definitely discouraged me from working severla times in the past. I work as a casual relief teacher, in areas such as Maths and Science, where her is a real shortage. I am always being chased by schools.

What they don’t tell you is that if you decide to work you need to pay tax on your pension as well as tax on your earnings. I ended up with a $4500 debt as a result of not being told this. The work bonus is a joke. How can they legally take tax on a pension which has been paid for by the taxes I have paid all my life! We’re being taxed on our tax!! They give with one hand but take with the other.
Agree 100% same for me I just received a $4100 tax bill because I didn’t pay tax on my pension while working part time. The whole thing is a rort can’t afford to live on the pension so have to work but end up loosing anyway due to tax. What I have had to do now is change to the No Tax Free Threshold plus pay tax on pension so I don’t get a tax bill next year!!! Retiring is not what it should be !!!!

• Wow
Like many others, we too have serious problems coping with the constant rise in living costs - I am 84 and lets face it folks, who is going to employ ( even casual/part time ) someone in their 80s? Unlike many other countries who look after their seniors - Australia couldn't give a stuff whether you live or die - sad as it is, we helped build a great society, only for the younger generation to stuff it up - hence the position we all find ourselves in. May God ( or whoever ) have mercy on the upcoming generations.

What about people who can not work as they care for their spouce who needs constant care ??
Have you looked at carers payment, not pension, but payment - not sure if this applys - does not hurt to make an enquiry - if you can work p.time, but cannot due to constant care of your spouse.

Have you looked at carers payment, not pension, but payment - not sure if this applys - does not hurt to make an enquiry - if you can work p.time, but cannot due to constant care of your spouse.
There are two options
Carer Payment ( which IS actually a Carer Pension).
The same amount as the Aged Pension. You can't have both
If you already receive the age pension you can apply for the Carer Allowance which is $153.50/fortnight which is not a fortune but every little bit helps I guess .
Your Dr will need to provide details of your partner's needs and the amount of care they need
If you qualify you will also receive a bonus payment of
$600 at the end of each financial year.
Hope this information helps.
You can also do some part time work while receiving this payment, but it is restricted. I "think" it's 25 hours per week.

My Partner earns $2K a fortnight.She arrived from Thailand in 2018 and immediately my pension was effected by $200 a fortnight she was unable to work for two years in the process of applying for her permanent Visa.
She is now working, and every fortnight I declare her earnings via Centrelink ,(my pension is then cut by half WHY)am I single or a Couple.I declare my income via centrelink at the same time, into the work bonus sceem.(Is this annual or each Financial Year)?

I would like some advice from members (Centrelink not helpful) on what I can do to help my financial situation we all want more from our measly pension.

Micky D

That’s very well for pensioners who can work what about us that can’t ? Seems like we can go and take a fling leap 😏

Does not help those of us in our late 80's or 90's. Everything is still going up for us too.
Yes why is it just for the workers there is a lot off us that can’t work any more why should we miss out things cost just as much for us nine workers as it does for the workers
All they need to do is inform Centrelink about any income received from work, and they'll take care of the rest.

That's a laugh. Leaving them to look after it. Another stuff up waiting to happen.

If you earn less than $200.00 a fortnight, does this income have to be reported? Can anyone tell me?
I have a casual “fill in” job where I earn a different amount each week. Even if it’s less than $100, I am required to report it every two weeks. I’ve been doing this for quite some time now, and if I don’t, I don’t receive my pension. I’m not sure whether you need to though, as you never earn more than the maximum amount.