New budget proposal may put extra $2000 on Aussie households

As the Australian economy navigates through the choppy waters of post-pandemic recovery, a beacon of hope awaits households nationwide.

After a period where rising taxes and swelling mortgage repayments took a toll on disposable incomes, the forecast is looking brighter.

The upcoming financial relief resulted from several combined factors, including the much-anticipated stage three tax cuts, a cooling inflation rate, and a wage increase.

These elements show a 3.5 per cent increase in household disposable incomes from 2024 to 2025.

This marks the fastest growth rate in over a decade, pandemic years excluded.

shutterstock_152034587.jpg
The new budget may give many Aussie households more breathing room for their finances. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Milleflore Images

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics's data, the average equivalised disposable household income in 2019-2020 was $1124 weekly.

A 3.5 per cent increase translates to an additional $39.34 per week.

When tallied for a 52-week timeframe, the increase amounts to a substantial boost of $2045.70—a significant sum that could cover groceries, a holiday, savings, and possible emergencies.

This financial forecast arrived just in time for the Albanese government's third budget.

The primary driver behind this turnaround in disposable income is wage growth, with the tax cuts playing a supporting role by enhancing spending power.

Inflation—an invisible force chipping purchasing power away—may persist downward. This is welcome news after reaching a record 7.8 per cent rate in late 2022.

As consumer prices moderate, households should find their dollars stretching further.

Real disposable income is a household's money after taxes and interest payments. Household incomes have been under pressure in recent years due to some factors.

In response to the Reserve Bank's interest rate hikes, cost-of-living challenges and rising mortgage repayments have been significant contributors to this pressure.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) noted that Australia's income tax burden has increased.

They attributed this to bracket creep and the cessation of the low and middle-income tax offset.

With the upcoming budget, Treasurer Jim Chalmers is focused on alleviating cost-of-living pressures.

'Decent wages and bigger tax cuts for more people are a big part of helping people earn what they need and deserve to provide for their loved ones,' Chalmers stated, emphasising the government's commitment to supporting Australian households.

While further cost-of-living relief is on the cards, these measures must be prepared precisely to avoid further fuelling inflation.

The budget increase provides an opportunity for households to breathe easier, plan for the future with more certainty, and enjoy the fruits of their labour with more freedom.

Whether it's putting the extra funds towards your grandkids' education, investing in home improvements, or simply enjoying the pleasures of life, this budget could be the financial uplift many have been waiting for.
Key Takeaways

• Australian household incomes are expected to grow in 2024-2025, with predictions of a 3.5 per cent increase in real household income.
  • Based on current averages, This increase could mean an additional $2045.70 annually for households.
  • The income boost was attributed to factors including stage three tax cuts, wage growth, and a decline in inflation from its peak.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers emphasised the budget's role in easing cost-of-living pressures and ensuring that tax cuts and decent wages help families.
How do you plan to make the most of the extra $2000 in your pocket? Share your plans and any budgeting tips with our community in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yes, all us pensioners ever get is more credits to allow us to work! I am 71 for goodness sake I have been working since I was 15…I would like to be able to fully retire and enjoy what is left of my life. Instead I have to take on cleaning jobs to just supplement my pension!😡

This is great for families but what about the pensioners?
If you are reliant on the pension you seem to be slipping backwards as pensions are not keeping abreast with the rise in the cost of living. The previous increases to the pension are a pittance compared to the rising cost of living & don’t forget pensioners pay tax to on every cent we spend or bills we pay. Pensions need to rise to an adequate standard.

What use are taxcuts and wage rises to pensioners.
I can't see that anything specific has aimed to give age or disability pensioners some relief. The weekly amount of income being spoken about doesn't apply to pensioners, they get half that much,but it's like as if they don't exist.
Here in WA, the wealthiest state we get $400 electricity relief,compared to $1000 in Qld,
If you live in the country our fuel cards have gone up $100, which is great, $675/year is a great help.
So in total $500/year, nowhere near$2000 and all from our state government. I don't think other states provide fuel cards for country pensioners??
Where is our cost of living relief from the Federal Government??? It's like we don't exist or they think cost of living doesn't apply to us!!!

I can't see that anything specific has aimed to give age or disability pensioners some relief. The weekly amount of income being spoken about doesn't apply to pensioners, they get half that much,but it's like as if they don't exist.
Here in WA, the wealthiest state we get $400 electricity relief,compared to $1000 in Qld,
If you live in the country our fuel cards have gone up $100, which is great, $675/year is a great help.
So in total $500/year, nowhere near$2000 and all from our state government. I don't think other states provide fuel cards for country pensioners??
Where is our cost of living relief from the Federal Government??? It's like we don't exist or they think cost of living doesn't apply to us!!!
Fuel cards ? That would bve great in SA :( but we get nothing ..

What a post to put on for we struggling Pensioners. We should get excited about people with the ability to work and earn money getting even more?? I want to see what the Government is going to be doing for the poorest in the community. And sadly that's us, the pensioners and those on disabilities. The Treasurer has highlighted that more money will be spent on child care so the young ones can work more. How does that help family life? So disappointed in the way things are going.

Inflation—an invisible force chipping purchasing power away—may persist downward. This is welcome news after reaching a record 7.8 per cent rate in late 2022.

I'm not an economic mastermind but apparently those running the country are. As they continue to increase interest rates and it doesn't seem to bring the desired effect, then it's time these brainiacs figured out another way to reign in this mythical inflation monster. All rate rises do is hurt people with loans and investments, and make the banks richer. It's like pork barreling, money for mates.
It's all very disgusting really.

Fuel cards ? That would bve great in SA :( but we get nothing ..
Yes, I know, I have lived there on and off over the years (my husband has family there).
Although I like SA we get so many more concessions here in WA,the best being 50%off our basic council and water rates.
That wasn't available when we lived in SA,hopefully that has changed for you.

They have turned the 'BABY BOOMER' generation into a 'GERIATRIC GENOCIDE'...! :cry::cry::cry:

Pensioners in NSW got fuel cards worth $250 for about four years before the labour government got in. They scrapped them in their first budget. Can’t afford them, but they can still afford to give high income earners in Sydney reduced car rego and huge rebates on their tolls each year. Go figure.

So no help for pensioners as usual. We have bolstered up the country during the years we worked by paying enormous taxes with little or no relief. Now we have to suffer in trying to manage on a fixed pension that does little other than pay the rent & some other bills, not even enough for food in some cases.

Pensioners in NSW got fuel cards worth $250 for about four years before the labour government got in. They scrapped them in their first budget. Can’t afford them, but they can still afford to give high income earners in Sydney reduced car rego and huge rebates on their tolls each year. Go figure.
We've had fuel cards for pensioners for quite a long time inWA now (you have to live at least 100kms from the CBD to qualify.
They started at $500, then a few years ago went up to $575 and will now be $675. A great bonus.

Reactions: Gsr
The government would rather we all drop off our perch. We have served our purpose as far as they are concerned.

Typical budget from whatever party is in government. Keep the poor poorer, and help the rich get richer. I doubt there are any politicians who have ever been poor so they have no idea of the reality and constant financial struggle poor people endure on a daily basis. All the while sneaking through regular pay rises for themselves at the taxpayers expense. Like they aren’t overpaid to begin with. Until they lift their snouts out of the taxpayer funded trough and have a good look around they will never change.

I'm not an economic disastermind but apparently those running the country are. As they continue to increase interest rates and it doesn't seem to bring the desired effect, then it's time these brainiacs figured out another way to reign in this mythical inflation monster. All rate rises do is hurt people with loans and investments, and make the banks richer. It's like pork barreling, money for mates.
It's all very disgusting really.
Corrected for accuracy in describing those with their slimy fingers on the nation's purse springs.

Reactions: DLHM