New $10 Coles offering baffles shoppers: ‘Thanks, I hate it’

Many people have a knack and enthusiasm for cooking and work hard to make sure the family is fed nutritious and flavourful dishes at the end of the day.

These days, however, for those with tons of other commitments, it's a lot easier to resort to pre-cooked and pre-packaged meals for more convenience.

Coles is one of the supermarkets promoting pre-cooked and pre-packaged meals, and it seems they've recently come out with a new product—albeit one that's causing some confusion.

According to one shopper, Coles now offers Roasted Chicken Drumstick Ready To Eat for $10.

1.jpg
Coles offers Roasted Chicken Drumstick Ready To Eat for $10 a tray. Image source: Reddit.

The 600g tray of roasted chicken pieces is labelled as 'seasoned lightly', and labelled for shoppers to 'enjoy cold'.

But despite its convenience, it seems that the has raised a few eyebrows because of its difference in cost compared to buying and cooking drumsticks yourself.

The Roasted Chicken Drumstick Ready To Eat is priced at $10, while a 1.6kg pack of uncooked Coles RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks only costs $7.20.

That means shoppers are paying a considerable $2.80 to have the meat cooked.

Coles said that the product was launched in August and is ideal for picnics or for those on the go.

Other items in their ready-to-eat chicken range are Coles Slow Cooked Pulled Chicken and Moira Mac Roasted Chicken Breast.

One shopper was especially unimpressed and posted a photo of the pre-packaged drumsticks on social media. The photo showed that the chicken pieces were a bit on the pale side, despite being 'roasted'.

'”Enjoy cold?” Thanks, I hate it,' One replied.

In other news, if you (or your family) are a fan of having chicken for dinner, we compiled three chicken recipes for you to try all for under $2!

The recipes shared are for the following chicken dishes:
  1. Chorizo Roasted Chicken
  2. Slow Cooker Drumstick Delight
  3. Boneless Butterfly Chicken with Rice

If you’re still searching for recipes, you can always visit our Cooking / Recipes forum, where you can find amazing dishes shared by other SDC members.

You can read more about this here.

An undeniable benefit of convenience foods like Coles’ Roasted Drumstick box is the time-saving aspect they offer. In our fast-paced lifestyle, the promise of a meal that’s ready to eat within just a few minutes is nothing short of enticing.

With cooking and preparation time eliminated, buyers can simply enjoy the smell of roasted chicken wafting through the house within minutes, all while being spared the effort of cleaning up.

Furthermore, convenience foods offer a variety of meal options, which can be a great advantage for those seeking to diversify the contents of their usual meal rotation or discover new flavours.

2.jpg
Coles’ roasted chook offering can be enjoyed cold, according to its package. Will you try it? Image source: Reddit.

However, convenience foods have their drawbacks, mainly in the areas of nutrition and cost. Frequently, these meals are heavily processed leading to high sodium and preservative content—characteristics not usually associated with a healthy diet.
While Coles claims their chicken has been lightly seasoned, this does not negate the potential presence of numerous additives consumers don’t usually have control over when cooking at home.

When it comes to costs, the rocketing prices of convenience foods compared to raw ingredients only further emphasise the price one pays for convenience.

As Coles' Roasted Drumstick box clearly showcases, you are likely paying an increased price to have your meal cooked and packaged for you. This puts these meals at a disadvantageous position, when we compare them to the relatively low price of fresh, raw ingredients, and highlights the cost of the luxury of time that these convenience foods save.

Despite the stark disadvantages, convenience meals are increasingly appealing to consumers, even seniors, who value the time saved on their daily routines more than the extra cents spent.

While these products might not be for everyone, it’s clear that convenience foods have found their niche in grocery stores.

So, the last question that really remains is—how much is your time worth to you?

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer has noticed that the supermarket chain is selling trays of cooked chicken drumsticks.
  • Coles' new Roasted Chicken Drumsticks Ready To Eat retails at $10 for a 600g pack, a 270 per cent premium per gram compared to uncooked RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks from the same supermarket.
  • Coles mentioned that this product, available since August, is targeted towards customers who want a convenient, ready-to-go meal.
  • Social media users have given mixed reviews on the new product, with some critical of the product's appearance and to-be-consumed-cold instruction on the label.
  • There are pros and cons with patronage of convenience foods, such as getting meals quick and easy but likely at the expense of nutrition and price.
What are your thoughts on this discovery, dear members? Can you enjoy your chicken cold? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Uncooked at $7.20 per pack of 1.6kg, that = $4.50 per kg
Cooked at $10.00 per pack of 600g, that = $16.67 per kg
So it is costing the customer $12.17 per kg for Coles to cook it
That equates to $7.30 to cook the 600g pack
Sorry Coles, the numbers only add up tremendously in your favour.

Outlay a bit of money if you can and buy an Air Fryer. There are only 2 in our house & I very rarely heat up my main oven due to its size and use of electricity. I have become quite used to doing more stuff in my air fryer (bought from Aldi some time ago @ just $49). Heat air fryer at 15-20 or 25 degrees less than a big oven and cook for less time. I even cook 2 salmon fillets from Aldi in 10 minutes enveloped in baking paper or foil. The air fryer has a small compact capacity so the economics work well for the two of us.

Outlay a bit of money if you can and buy an Air Fryer. There are only 2 in our house & I very rarely heat up my main oven due to its size and use of electricity. I have become quite used to doing more stuff in my air fryer (bought from Aldi some time ago @ just $49). Heat air fryer at 15-20 or 25 degrees less than a big oven and cook for less time. I even cook 2 salmon fillets from Aldi in 10 minutes enveloped in baking paper or foil. The air fryer has a small compact capacity so the economics work well for the two of us.
My sister offered me an airfrier before she moved to cairns to live wish I had of accepted her offer now. I thought it would have been too bulky for my small kitchen.☹️Bummer

Reactions: Ezzy
Many people have a knack and enthusiasm for cooking and work hard to make sure the family is fed nutritious and flavourful dishes at the end of the day.

These days, however, for those with tons of other commitments, it's a lot easier to resort to pre-cooked and pre-packaged meals for more convenience.

Coles is one of the supermarkets promoting pre-cooked and pre-packaged meals, and it seems they've recently come out with a new product—albeit one that's causing some confusion.

According to one shopper, Coles now offers Roasted Chicken Drumstick Ready To Eat for $10.

View attachment 31045
Coles offers Roasted Chicken Drumstick Ready To Eat for $10 a tray. Image source: Reddit.

The 600g tray of roasted chicken pieces is labelled as 'seasoned lightly', and labelled for shoppers to 'enjoy cold'.

But despite its convenience, it seems that the has raised a few eyebrows because of its difference in cost compared to buying and cooking drumsticks yourself.

The Roasted Chicken Drumstick Ready To Eat is priced at $10, while a 1.6kg pack of uncooked Coles RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks only costs $7.20.

Coles said that the product was launched in August and is ideal for picnics or for those on the go.

Other items in their ready-to-eat chicken range are Coles Slow Cooked Pulled Chicken and Moira Mac Roasted Chicken Breast.

One shopper was especially unimpressed and posted a photo of the pre-packaged drumsticks on social media. The photo showed that the chicken pieces were a bit on the pale side, despite being 'roasted'.

In other news, if you (or your family) are a fan of having chicken for dinner, we compiled three chicken recipes for you to try all for under $2!

If you’re still searching for recipes, you can always visit our Cooking / Recipes forum, where you can find amazing dishes shared by other SDC members.

An undeniable benefit of convenience foods like Coles’ Roasted Drumstick box is the time-saving aspect they offer. In our fast-paced lifestyle, the promise of a meal that’s ready to eat within just a few minutes is nothing short of enticing.

With cooking and preparation time eliminated, buyers can simply enjoy the smell of roasted chicken wafting through the house within minutes, all while being spared the effort of cleaning up.

Furthermore, convenience foods offer a variety of meal options, which can be a great advantage for those seeking to diversify the contents of their usual meal rotation or discover new flavours.

View attachment 31046
Coles’ roasted chook offering can be enjoyed cold, according to its package. Will you try it? Image source: Reddit.

However, convenience foods have their drawbacks, mainly in the areas of nutrition and cost. Frequently, these meals are heavily processed leading to high sodium and preservative content—characteristics not usually associated with a healthy diet.
While Coles claims their chicken has been lightly seasoned, this does not negate the potential presence of numerous additives consumers don’t usually have control over when cooking at home.

When it comes to costs, the rocketing prices of convenience foods compared to raw ingredients only further emphasise the price one pays for convenience.

As Coles' Roasted Drumstick box clearly showcases, you are likely paying an increased price to have your meal cooked and packaged for you. This puts these meals at a disadvantageous position, when we compare them to the relatively low price of fresh, raw ingredients, and highlights the cost of the luxury of time that these convenience foods save.

Despite the stark disadvantages, convenience meals are increasingly appealing to consumers, even seniors, who value the time saved on their daily routines more than the extra cents spent.

While these products might not be for everyone, it’s clear that convenience foods have found their niche in grocery stores.

So, the last question that really remains is—how much is your time worth to you?

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has noticed that the supermarket chain is selling trays of cooked chicken drumsticks.
  • Coles' new Roasted Chicken Drumsticks Ready To Eat retails at $10 for a 600g pack, a 270 per cent premium per gram compared to uncooked RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks from the same supermarket.
  • Coles mentioned that this product, available since August, is targeted towards customers who want a convenient, ready-to-go meal.
  • Social media users have given mixed reviews on the new product, with some critical of the product's appearance and to-be-consumed-cold instruction on the label.
  • There are pros and cons with patronage of convenience foods, such as getting meals quick and easy but likely at the expense of nutrition and price.
What are your thoughts on this discovery, dear members? Can you enjoy your chicken cold? Let us know in the comments below!
personally they don't look cooked at all.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Uncooked at $7.20 per pack of 1.6kg, that = $4.50 per kg
Cooked at $10.00 per pack of 600g, that = $16.67 per kg
So it is costing the customer $12.17 per kg for Coles to cook it
That equates to $7.30 to cook the 600g pack
Sorry Coles, the numbers only add up tremendously in your favour.
Good Pick up! The price per Kg says it all.

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 31045

View attachment 31046

Key Takeaways

People will still buy it, like the lady with the $25 for a small bag of imported grapes. Like the people who would pay $9 for a sausage roll, plus pies. People have become lazy to cook. Take a day and make your own sausage rolls and pies, and cook your own meats. Its not hard.

My sister offered me an airfrier before she moved to cairns to live wish I had of accepted her offer now. I thought it would have been too bulky for my small kitchen.☹️Bummer
My air fryer sits on my benchtop (I have a small kitchen with little benchtop space free) but it doesn’t worry me now to have this taking up some space. I’ve got used to it & if I need to use my slow cooker any time it goes in the space vacated by the air fryer. But they are both not used at the same time. So anyone wanting to buy an air fryer, do so if you have the little space it takes up; I think they are very versatile & use less electricity than a conventional oven. I’m yet to find a suitable and reasonably priced round silicone insert to use instead of foil or baking paper which will enable me to keep the fryer clean, so a silicone insert seems my go-to as it will take just a couple of minutes washing up.

On the face of it, these don't look all that appetising but we shouldn't knock them without first trying. For mine, the packaging does not inspire as much confidence as would vaccuum-sealing in terms of shelf-life. If the product was vac-packed it would 'travel' a lot easier in my Esky when I'm out West; if loaded in frozen it would even help keep my beers cold! Certainly, they're expensive, but if divided among two or three travellers a pack of these chicken pieces would certainly liven up a campsite quickie 2-minute-noodles-style lunch while staying within the range of "Cheaper than a Pub meal".

If I see a pack of these on markdown with intact packaging I'll give them a try and let you know.

Reactions: Ezzy and Linwar

View attachment 31045

View attachment 31046

Key Takeaways

Chicken is one food that salmonella grows quickly in. How long ago were they cooked? and were there sterile conditions of handling? Not only do they look unappealing but the health of the meat would have me running for cover....or the toilet.

My air fryer sits on my benchtop (I have a small kitchen with little benchtop space free) but it doesn’t worry me now to have this taking up some space. I’ve got used to it & if I need to use my slow cooker any time it goes in the space vacated by the air fryer. But they are both not used at the same time. So anyone wanting to buy an air fryer, do so if you have the little space it takes up; I think they are very versatile & use less electricity than a conventional oven. I’m yet to find a suitable and reasonably priced round silicone insert to use instead of foil or baking paper which will enable me to keep the fryer clean, so a silicone insert seems my go-to as it will take just a couple of minutes washing up.
I gave my slow cooker to my neighbour as I used it once decided not for me. She loves it especially at Christmas. 😁

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Chicken is one food that salmonella grows quickly in. How long ago were they cooked? and were there sterile conditions of handling? Not only do they look unappealing but the health of the meat would have me running for cover....or the toilet.
Good point🤮

Reactions: Ezzy and MarSyb
not looking in the least bit appetizing and selling cooked drumsticks increases the risk of food poisoning. you also lose that soft juicy flesh texture of fresh cooked hot chicken legs. Supermarkets often overcook chicken so its dry as once cold.
You want me to pay $16.67 a kilo for the privilege ?? No ty, pass

Reactions: Ezzy and MarSyb