Netflix to increase subscription fees in Australia

Netflix will increase the price of its standard and premium subscriptions by up to $3 per month starting today.

From $15.99 a month, the price for the standard plan increases to $16.99 a month, following a previous price increase in late 2020.

For the premium plan, the price jumps from $19.99 to $22.99 a month. The last increase in this plans price was two years ago.

The basic plan remains at $10.99 a month.

The price increase will be rolled out starting November 11 for new customers.

Existing members have one more week before the price hike kicks in with the new prices set to be implemented in the next bill run, after November 18.

All Netflix subscribers will be given 30 days notice by email and notifications on the platform.

9XOSH0v9OPhROBl3Bb4cf27qgPbBHH9qumyspLmf_I0pPiMbgGFrferMeirkK0VNaDThDs8fxU0jnEb5O-OaGvVJWdhAdRtOKHrERdw3sdlQQanOsvY2hL9D24k_O0PWJQsm4_l2

Customers may pick between three Netflix subscription tiers; the three only differ in the number of simultaneous screens you can watch (one on basic, two on standard and four on premium) and the picture quality (SD on basic, HD on standard and UHD on premium). Photo retrieved from SoPerth.com.au.

When comparing the costs with other streaming platforms, Disney+ is $11.99 a month, Binge* is $14 a month for its standard plan, Amazon Prime Video is $6.99 a month, Stan is $14 a month for its standard plan, Paramount+ is $8.99 a month, and Apple TV+ is $7.99 a month.

“We know Australians have never had more choices when it comes to entertainment, and we’re more committed than ever to delivering an experience that exceeds their expectations,” said a spokesperson for Netflix.

“Members tell us how much they value the breadth and variety of the catalogue, and we’re updating our prices so that we can continue to invest in more shows and films.”

“As always, there’ll be different plans so that people can pick a price that works for their budget.”

Some upcoming original films from Netflix are Leonardo DiCaprio and Meryl Streep’s film Don’t Look Up, Maggie Gyllenhaal’s directorial debut The Lost Daughter, and the Oscar contender The Power of the Dog.

New seasons of popular TV series Stranger Things, The Crown, Emily in Paris, The Witcher and Bridgerton are also in the works.

Netflix told investors that it would spend $US17 billion on content this coming year.

For customers Down Under, Netflix has commissioned a raft of Australian or Australian-produced originals.

These include thriller film Clickbait, controversial reality series Byron Baes, the revival of Heartbreak High, animated film Back to the Outback, Melissa McCarthy’s series God’s Favourite Idiot, Chris Hemsworth’s action flick Escape from Spiderhead and Jessica Watson’s biopic Spirit.

The streaming site also works with the NSW government, Screenworks, AFTRS, Screen Australia and Bunya Productions to fund training and scholarship programs for film enthusiasts and future industry workers alike.

Do you currently use and pay for Netflix? What do you think of the price increase? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
This is not that great but I still think that the value you get is really worth it

I have been a member for a few years and I am dissatisfied with your contents. We start a season and try later to continue but Netflix only sends out 6 seasons whereas the series has a further 4+ seasons.
I ask not to continually receive children’s programs and nobody taken any notice. There should be a delete arrangements once you have finished a series that you don’t want to repeat or a delete arrangement when you start something you don’t enjoy.
increasing the price will only infuriate us further.
on the positive side we have enjoyed several different seasons of various types and enjoyed them immensilly.

I honestly don't watch a lot on Netflix anymore. I am finding some good shows on 7+, 9Now, IView, SBS on demand. Yes I know there are adds, but there doesn't seem to be as many as 'normal' channels and there are a lot of shows on these channels that Netflix have, which is frustrating. I was watching a show on Netflix thinking there was only one season (limited series) when it finished, I realised there was another season. I came across the same show on 9Now and it had both seasons!! The movie 'Knive's Out' was released on Netflix a week or so ago. The very next day 7+ released it as well. Thinking about cancelling Netflix

I honestly don't watch a lot on Netflix anymore. I am finding some good shows on 7+, 9Now, IView, SBS on demand. Yes I know there are adds, but there doesn't seem to be as many as 'normal' channels and there are a lot of shows on these channels that Netflix have, which is frustrating. I was watching a show on Netflix thinking there was only one season (limited series) when it finished, I realised there was another season. I came across the same show on 9Now and it had both seasons!! The movie 'Knive's Out' was released on Netflix a week or so ago. The very next day 7+ released it as well. Thinking about cancelling Netflix
Netflix is a bit slow with releasing seasons, you're right. That's why I always do a quick Google before I start a show to check how many seasons there are etc.

I would really like it if they didn't cancel the shows I enjoy so often. I watch Stan more these days but currently watching Shameless on netflix, great show! Love the 'no ads'! I have the premium for multiple devices. Have considered cancelling, but will persevere.