Neighbour's controversial parking move tears community apart!

In the bustling streets of Sydney's inner west, where the roads are as narrow as the parking spaces are scarce, a resident's unconventional method of reserving a parking spot has sparked a fiery debate among the community.

The contentious issue came to light when a neighbour from Leichhardt, a suburb known for its tight-knit community and equally tight parking, took to a local social media group to air their grievances.

The bone of contention is that a series of traffic cones strategically placed along the street effectively commandeer a public parking space for months.

'It's been ongoing for months and doesn't look renovation-related,' the frustrated resident lamented.

1720485930210.png
Sydney residents caused controversy in Leichhardt by reserving street parking with traffic cones for months. Credit: Facebook

'The street has no hourly restrictions and (like most of Leichhardt) not enough parking spots.'

This parking ploy has divided the locals, with opinions ranging from outrage to empathy.

Some have branded the cone-placer as 'selfish'.

On the flip side, others suggested that the person behind the cones might be elderly or have mobility issues.

The Inner West Council, however, has a clear stance on the matter.

Leaving personal belongings, such as traffic cones, on public property is deemed an 'obstruction' and is not taken lightly.

Fines for such obstructions can range from $330 to $660 for a reserved parking space.

The council encourages residents to report these incidents, ensuring that public amenities remain accessible to all.

In related news, Sydney's Inner West residents are frustrated by car spaces that block footpaths and endanger pedestrians.

Some locals have had near collisions due to the parking setup, forcing pedestrians onto the street. For more details, click here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney resident sparked division in the inner west community by using traffic cones to reserve a parking spot on a street in Leichhardt for months.
  • Community reaction is mixed, with some calling the act selfish while others suggested the person might have valid reasons, such as age or mobility issues.
  • Placing items like traffic cones on public roads is considered an 'obstruction' against Inner West Council regulations, with fines ranging from $330 to $660.
  • The Inner West Council has called on residents to report such incidents for investigation to maintain public access to parking amenities.
Have you ever encountered a situation where a road was obstructed by a citizen? What other reasons might they have for doing this? We’d love to hear about your opinion in the comments below.

Sponsored
We have a school at the back of our property. Every morning and afternoon it's impossible to get in and out of our driveway some parents park partly over our driveway it's a real pest. On bin day it's not unusual for bins to not be emptied because someone has parked in front of the bins another pest.
The roads have become so much busier now and not many seem to walk to school anymore. The past ten years it has changed so much around my street so much busier and very frustrating with all the cars parking in our street. Progress l suppose.
Kind regards to all Vicki

When my daughter lived in Ellenbrook street parking was available in residential areas ,where I use to park. I was yelled at by a neighbor as I had taken the last spot outside the row of 5. Turns out they thought the real estate agent said the parking was for owner/ tenants and I was in their spot. You can’t own or reserve a spot, in the street. In the lane behind the units this person was known to park in the lane making it difficult for others to leave their garage.

No. Bt I wouldn't report it to the Council. LET THEM DO THEIR OWN DIRTY WORK. I'm not going to do their job.

Reactions: Rob44
I had a relative (now very distant relative) who used to do exactly this in a council carpark so that she could go out during her lunch break and come back to the same spot. Extremely selfish considering her workplace was walking distance from the shopping centre.

Does anyone know, is there a limit on how many cars one residential property can have?
There is a property in my neighborhood where they do up cars, often 3 or 4 in the driveway. On top they have 2 vehicles for own use + a weekend camper ,2 kids have a vehicle each and they also own a trailer.
They put their bins across the road on neighbors' nature strip for collection. It happens everywhere, more and more congestion. Councils approve granny flats with no designated parking, causing even more problems.

Reactions: DLHM and marni
One idea. Change locations. However, it is the same problem now with all the new subdivisions crammed into small allotments with no driveway at all, just one in front of the house to the front garage. The streets look like laneways so they can get more houses into the area.

We have a school at the back of our property. Every morning and afternoon it's impossible to get in and out of our driveway some parents park partly over our driveway it's a real pest. On bin day it's not unusual for bins to not be emptied because someone has parked in front of the bins another pest.
The roads have become so much busier now and not many seem to walk to school anymore. The past ten years it has changed so much around my street so much busier and very frustrating with all the cars parking in our street. Progress l suppose.
I lived in a street opposite a school. The same happened to me and other residents. When asking the mothers not to park there you were verbally abused. The residents used to call them the four wheel drive brigade.

We have the nicest Scottish neightbours but they think the road bordering their nature strip is reserved for their own cars, particularly their son's car because they are both usually in the driveway. My sister came to my place one day to go out with me and she parked in front of their place. My husband got a knock on the door asking is the person that car belongs to at our home, my husband explained it was my sisters car ad we won't be back till late afternoon/evening. They weren't impressed !

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
That reminds me of an old TV show back in the UK called Bread. They used to put cones outside their house for their car, and back then there was not nearly as much traffic as now a days.

We have the nicest Scottish neightbours but they think the road bordering their nature strip is reserved for their own cars, particularly their son's car because they are both usually in the driveway. My sister came to my place one day to go out with me and she parked in front of their place. My husband got a knock on the door asking is the person that car belongs to at our home, my husband explained it was my sisters car ad we won't be back till late afternoon/evening. They weren't impressed !
Tell them the road is not their property.

Reactions: Ezzy
Parking partly over your driveway is illegal. Are your council Rangers aware of the problem & would they be prepared to attend @ a time when this problem exists & issue a fine?

Reactions: DLHM