NBN proposes new speed options to revolutionise internet experience

The National Broadband Network (NBN) is setting out to revolutionise Australia in the global digital landscape.

With a proposal on the horizon, many could soon be experiencing some of the fastest internet speeds on the planet.

Imagine being able to download your favourite movies or seamlessly talk to loved ones through video conferencing—all at vastly improved speeds.

NBN’s 100 Megabits per second (Mbps) plan is getting a massive upgrade, soaring to 500Mbps download and 50Mbps upload speeds—a fivefold increase for one of the most popular plans.

The Home Superfast plan will jump from 250Mbps to 750Mbps download and 50Mbps upload, while the Ultrafast plan will hit new heights of 750-1000Mbps download and 50-100Mbps upload from its current 500-1000Mbps speed.

275919778_268053292185155_7000209364169758640_n.jpg
NBN proposed new speed options for a faster internet experience. Credit: NBN Australia / Facebook

A decade ago, the internet was a different beast.

Streaming apps like Netflix, Stan, and Disney+ didn't exist, and live-streamed sports were a mere pipe dream. Each month, an average household had seven devices connected and used around 40GB of data.

Today, homes are connected to an average of 22 devices, with ten times more data than before.

NBN Chief Customer Officer Anna Perrin explained, ‘Despite this explosion in data usage, many customers have remained on the same broadband plan for years.’

‘Our network monitoring suggests that some customers are potentially hitting their maximum speed on a regular basis. These customers may enjoy a better internet experience on a faster speed tier.’

‘The good news for customers is we are upgrading the NBN network to keep pace with customer demand. Fibre is the great enabler to deliver near gigabit speeds across the NBN network.’

‘We are on track with our national fibre upgrade program to put these incredibly fast speeds within reach of more than 10 million Australian homes and businesses by the end of next year,’ she added.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland gave the proposal a thumbs up, saying it is ‘consistent with the Albanese Labor government's objectives and will deliver turbo-charged speeds that would deliver significant benefits for businesses and households alike’.

‘Reliable, quality, high-speed internet is not a luxury or nice-to-have: it is essential 21st-century infrastructure,’ she said.

The NBN plans to implement these changes within the next 12 months at no extra wholesale cost to internet retailers like Telstra, TPG, Optus, and Aussie Broadband.

This proposal comes after NBN and other retail telcos agreed to new pricing structures, which the Albanese government defended as ‘essential in providing “certainty” to the industry’.

The industry consultation on the proposal will be until 18 April.
Key Takeaways

• The NBN is proposing to significantly increase the speed of their internet service offerings, enhancing some plans fivefold.
  • NBN’s plan includes increasing popular plan speeds to 500Mbps download and 50Mbps upload, with other tiers seeing similar speed boosts.
  • These changes are designed to meet the increased data usage demands of modern Australian households and businesses.
  • There will be industry consultation on the proposal until 18 April, with potential changes impacting retail telcos and potentially leading to increased consumer costs.
What do you think about NBN’s proposal? Will this affect your daily internet activities? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I will stick with what I have. Read the fine print, I have had several friends charged huge amounts of money to get this new NBN only to be told they shouldn't have been charged the amounts and have had to have them refunded.

This all and good for those who currently the faster speeds available to their residents. There are a lot of houses out there that can only get 40mbps Download and 9mbps upload. When can they expect to have faster speeds available?

Reactions: Davmes
Our Telstra's modem dropped dead with too many severe fluctuations in a recent thunderstorm.
However, the NBN modem/router stood the test and survived.
Telstra replaced the dead modem, but we now have lags every now and then, so they will be getting a call from us. Never had this issue with their previous modem.

Does this mean that as a user on the fringes of a Capital city I might be able to use cloud bases business programs I cant now, because our internet infrastructure is incapable of supplying a stable stream. How about we fix some of the issues instead of supplying a small number of users "the worlds best" and give the majority of users a reliable and normal speed. I had better services when working in remote communities 10 years ago.

Does this mean that as a user on the fringes of a Capital city I might be able to use cloud bases business programs I cant now, because our internet infrastructure is incapable of supplying a stable stream. How about we fix some of the issues instead of supplying a small number of users "the worlds best" and give the majority of users a reliable and normal speed. I had better services when working in remote communities 10 years ago.
We have been using 2 way Satellite for about 22 years - in the main good and I operated an accounting business on it for 18 years and accessed clients computers and worked on them remotely - slight speed probs at times but you know your system and try to pick your times to work. Still use it today and have just upgraded to a higher plan with a dedicated IP to solve software irritations - for $ 67.90 per month + $ 10.00 pm for VOIP + calls I have nothing to complain about in regard to cost - latency can cause minor hiccups with online medical hookups at times but we get thru that without too much drama and if it is too bad we can converse with the mobile.

We are on a satellite for our internet and have no problems with speed or other problems. It is great.

I expect this come with an extra cost.
flipconnect.com.au is for pensioners and offer excellent service and better prices. It's the first provider I've had with no issues with. Check them out, you might get a better deal.

Reactions: Ashmenou
We have been using 2 way Satellite for about 22 years - in the main good and I operated an accounting business on it for 18 years and accessed clients computers and worked on them remotely - slight speed probs at times but you know your system and try to pick your times to work. Still use it today and have just upgraded to a higher plan with a dedicated IP to solve software irritations - for $ 67.90 per month + $ 10.00 pm for VOIP + calls I have nothing to complain about in regard to cost - latency can cause minor hiccups with online medical hookups at times but we get thru that without too much drama and if it is too bad we can converse with the mobile.
But you don't get unlimited with satellite do you?

I pay $120 a month with nbn through optus and I'm sick of it freezing for 30 seconds hundreds of times a day. I'm in Sydney and it shouldn't be doing this
Most companies get unlimited for around $80 per month, why are you paying so much? Dodo, iinet, etc... are pretty reliable and use the Optus network. I've used both with NO issues ever.

NBN is such a load of rubbish and another govrrnment lie and total waste of money!!