Nanny shares five controversial child-rearing tips that goes against traditional norms

Are you a grandparent or a caregiver of young children?

Has it become more difficult to raise children nowadays compared to before?

If so, you might want to read up on this nanny’s controversial child-rearing ideas, which she believes can nurture children nowadays more effectively.

Having extensively studied child development and psychology, Isla Collins believes in adopting a ‘gentle’ and ‘respectful’ approach to caregiving.

Collins' tips, which go against traditional norms, instantly struck a chord with her followers.

SDC Images (12).png
A nanny shares five controversial things she does as a nanny and believes every parent and grandparent should do the same. Image source: TikTok/@isla.collins.

1. Supporting Nap-Time Autonomy

While traditional wisdom regards schedule and structure as pivotal in a child's life, Collins recommends a unique approach to nap times.

Disregarding traditional norms, she allows children to nap anywhere and everywhere—be it the carrier, their bed, the pram, or even on herself.

In her mind, there is 'no real routine’ to napping, and children should be able to sleep wherever they need to.

2. Discarding Food Rules

Remember those gruelling childhood memories of being forced to eat your greens or not leaving the table until everything on the plate was gone?

Collins tends to adopt a more flexible approach to meal times.

'I don't make children finish their food or tell them how much they need to eat, no “three more bites”,' Collins said.

'I want to teach children to listen to their bodies and their own hunger cues.'

photo (4).jpg
Collins allows children to nap anywhere and does not force children to finish their food. Image source: TikTok/@isla.collins.

3. Fostering Independent Play

Another tip from her unconventional childcare to-do list is her reluctance to play with children while they are playing with their toys, a stark contrast to the typical nanny-child interaction.

Independent play, she advocates, can effectively nurture creativity and self-reliance within young ones.

She believes connections can be forged through alternative channels such as reading books, engaging in rough and tumble play, doing activities together, and participating in daily life tasks.

'I feel the ability to play alone is invaluable,' the nanny emphasised.

4. Serving Desserts with Main Meal

Contradicting the general practice of offering desserts post-meals as rewards, she often serves the sweets simultaneously with the main course.

She wants to erase the unhealthy interpretation of sweets as luxury items that ought to be earned.

'Food is not a reward, all food is good food and sweet things are not something to put on a pedestal,' she explained.

photo 1 (2).jpg
Collins also shared that she does not play with them and their toys, serves dessert with their main meal, and never punishes or puts them in time outs. Image source: TikTok/@isla.collins.

5. Saying No to Punishments

Finally, she raised eyebrows by stressing her staunch refusal to punish children for their behaviour.

Every emotion, she advocates, is valid for children learning to process the world around them.

According to her, children labelled as 'bad' are often just too young to understand how to react appropriately to certain emotions. Instead of punishing, she gives them understanding and validation.

'I never punish children with time outs or take away screen time because of a certain behaviour,' Collins explained.

'I never send them to their room or put them on the “naughty” step. All feelings are valid and seen.'

'You are not “bad” because you're too young to understand how to process a certain emotion.'

Her approach did not go unnoticed. Her post has been viewed over 130,000 times, and most of the comments lauded Collins for her ‘incredible’ and 'really good' ideas.

'I love all of these so much,' one user commented.

'More people need to be like this,' another added.

While a third said: 'I do all of these too!'

However, not everyone agreed to Collins' methods with one asking: 'But how you deal with a child who is deliberately doing dangerous things?'

'We don't have time out but I'm taking things away. It doesn't work, I hate it,' they added.

Isla maintained her philosophy by emphasising the importance of teaching children about safety and natural consequences instead of resorting to punishment.

Other nannies joined the discussion with one saying: 'I don't see these as controversial at all, I see this as being a kind human being! In my circle of nanny friends, we all do these with the kids.'

Collins responded saying: 'I love that! Sadly a lot of this is the opposite of what a lot of parents and caregivers are doing, especially the food and punishments ones.'

While another nanny said: 'Nanny here and I am the same! These precious angels feel such big emotions as such tiny people. We have to hug them through it.'
Key Takeaways
  • A nanny has shared five childcare techniques she utilises which are considered controversial.
  • The nanny, known as Isla Collins, recommended letting children nap anywhere, not enforcing food rules, encouraging independent play, serving dessert with main meals, and not punishing the children.
  • The video, which has been viewed by over 130,000 people, has garnered a largely positive response with many praising the nanny's approach to childcare.
  • Despite the general praise, there were concerns raised and a discussion opened up about how to deal with children who engage in deliberately dangerous behaviour.
Members, what are your thoughts on her methods? Would you consider integrating any of these into your own grandparenting or caregiving style? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored

If so, you might want to read up on this nanny’s controversial child-rearing ideas, which she believes can nurture children nowadays more effectively.

Having extensively studied child development and psychology, Isla Collins believes in adopting a ‘gentle’ and ‘respectful’ approach to caregiving.

Collins' tips, which go against traditional norms, instantly struck a chord with her followers.

View attachment 32911
A nanny shares five controversial things she does as a nanny and believes every parent and grandparent should do the same. Image source: TikTok/@isla.collins.

While traditional wisdom regards schedule and structure as pivotal in a child's life, Collins recommends a unique approach to nap times.

Disregarding traditional norms, she allows children to nap anywhere and everywhere—be it the carrier, their bed, the pram, or even on herself.

In her mind, there is 'no real routine’ to napping, and children should be able to sleep wherever they need to.

2. Discarding Food Rules

Remember those gruelling childhood memories of being forced to eat your greens or not leaving the table until everything on the plate was gone?

'I don't make children finish their food or tell them how much they need to eat, no “three more bites”,' Collins said.

View attachment 32912
Collins allows children to nap anywhere and does not force children to finish their food. Image source: TikTok/@isla.collins.

Another tip from her unconventional childcare to-do list is her reluctance to play with children while they are playing with their toys, a stark contrast to the typical nanny-child interaction.

Independent play, she advocates, can effectively nurture creativity and self-reliance within young ones.

She believes connections can be forged through alternative channels such as reading books, engaging in rough and tumble play, doing activities together, and participating in daily life tasks.

Contradicting the general practice of offering desserts post-meals as rewards, she often serves the sweets simultaneously with the main course.

She wants to erase the unhealthy interpretation of sweets as luxury items that ought to be earned.

'Food is not a reward, all food is good food and sweet things are not something to put on a pedestal,' she explained.

View attachment 32913
Collins also shared that she does not play with them and their toys, serves dessert with their main meal, and never punishes or puts them in time outs. Image source: TikTok/@isla.collins.

Finally, she raised eyebrows by stressing her staunch refusal to punish children for their behaviour.

Every emotion, she advocates, is valid for children learning to process the world around them.

According to her, children labelled as 'bad' are often just too young to understand how to react appropriately to certain emotions. Instead of punishing, she gives them understanding and validation.

'I never punish children with time outs or take away screen time because of a certain behaviour,' Collins explained.

'I never send them to their room or put them on the “naughty” step. All feelings are valid and seen.'

'You are not “bad” because you're too young to understand how to process a certain emotion.'

Her approach did not go unnoticed. Her post has been viewed over 130,000 times, and most of the comments lauded Collins for her ‘incredible’ and 'really good' ideas.

However, not everyone agreed to Collins' methods with one asking: 'But how you deal with a child who is deliberately doing dangerous things?'

'We don't have time out but I'm taking things away. It doesn't work, I hate it,' they added.

Isla maintained her philosophy by emphasising the importance of teaching children about safety and natural consequences instead of resorting to punishment.

Other nannies joined the discussion with one saying: 'I don't see these as controversial at all, I see this as being a kind human being! In my circle of nanny friends, we all do these with the kids.'

Collins responded saying: 'I love that! Sadly a lot of this is the opposite of what a lot of parents and caregivers are doing, especially the food and punishments ones.'

While another nanny said: 'Nanny here and I am the same! These precious angels feel such big emotions as such tiny people. We have to hug them through it.'
Key Takeaways

• A nanny has shared five childcare techniques she utilises which are considered controversial.
  • The nanny, known as Isla Collins, recommended letting children nap anywhere, not enforcing food rules, encouraging independent play, serving dessert with main meals, and not punishing the children.
  • The video, which has been viewed by over 130,000 people, has garnered a largely positive response with many praising the nanny's approach to childcare.
  • Despite the general praise, there were concerns raised and a discussion opened up about how to deal with children who engage in deliberately dangerous behaviour.
Members, what are your thoughts on her methods? Would you consider integrating any of these into your own grandparenting or caregiving style? Let us know in the comments below!
Codswallop

View attachment 32911

2. Discarding Food Rules

View attachment 32912

View attachment 32913

Key Takeaways

The word NO is very necessary to prevent punishment, this is a word that seems to have fallen from most current parenting trends. These two letters can be the difference of a well behaved child who has learnt to tell the difference of what is acceptable and what is not, can understand emotion of what to expect if this word is ignored - to a child throwing a tantrum because it has not been taught this little word.

When my four kids were young they had completely different personalities and characters. I’d only have to raise my voice (not yell) in a firm tone, with the first and third and that was it. The other two were much more challenging. There’s no one size fits all in raising children, in my experience. Same with my grandchildren.

View attachment 32911

2. Discarding Food Rules

View attachment 32912

View attachment 32913

Key Takeaways

This is why there is no respect in the year's gone by no responsibility either so what's in store for the human race one only knows it an't going to be good 🙄

View attachment 32911

2. Discarding Food Rules

View attachment 32912

View attachment 32913

Key Takeaways

No respect no responsibility what's the world coming to bloody pathetic 🙄

One of my daughters tried this method , it lasted a month and the kids became unruly.
I laughed at her when she told me she was going to try it!

Kids need routine and structure .
Why would you incorporate dessert with their main meal.

There was no way if my child wanted a nap after 3pm that I would allow it. If they didn't want to sleep then they would lay down and rest .

Having 13 kids, I needed routine !

Under 5 went to bed 7.30 pm
5 to 10 went to bed 8.30.
11 to 13 bedtime 9 30
14 to 16 , 10 to 10.30 then after that they knew when to go to bed.

Dinner time was always 6pm and we ate together at the table.

If I had a child who hated beans, then they ate another green . I wouldn't make my kids eat what they didn't like unless they were just fussy.

So my answer is definitely NO

We were much more lenient with our two grandchildren than we were with our son. I was always the main caregiver and disciplinarian with all three.

I've been blessed, or cursed? with a voice that can strike fear into a brick wall when required. This makes life with recalcitrant children much easier. I'm proud to say that our son and grandchildren were kids you could take anywhere and know they would be polite and well behaved.

Some of these ideas have some merit, but the word 'no' is an essential part of successful child rearing.

One of my daughters tried this method , it lasted a month and the kids became unruly.

There was no way if my child wanted a nap after 3pm that I would allow it. If they didn't want to sleep then they would lay down and rest .

11 to 13 bedtime 9 30

If I has a child who hated beans then they ate another green . I wouldn't make my kids eat what they didn't like unless they were just fussy.

Routine and structure. All children need that and thrive on it. It instills a sense of security. I fear for the future if parents were to listen to the “advice” from Isla Collins. 😬

My 8 year old granddaughter is staying with us for 5 days now. I have never made my kids or grandkids eat everything on their plates, they get food choices of what they want, my 1 rule is they must have fruit and vegies or salad that they choose every day. It doesn’t have to be a plate full as long as they have some. They can have dessert after lunch or tea. I have always played with my kids and grandkids, but also left them to play on their own. I have never done naughty chair or time out, but have used the word no. Have never believed in smacking, except a small pat on the bottom when they were really naughty, don’t think it ever achieved anything, but I always explained why they couldn’t do things, and always gave lots of hugs and affection.

11 to 13 bedtime 9 30

If I had a child who hated beans, then they ate another green . I wouldn't make my kids eat what they didn't like unless they were just fussy.

I'm with you Suzanne, I reared 3 daughters the same way you have and they are all fine.
No structure and discipline are what's messing up society today.
If people knew their kids where in bed and not running the streets life would be so much easier.

Last edited:
I also never smacked but they did have time out if they tested me.

I believe when you talk to a child about what they did wrong you need to come down to their level before talking . I'm talking eye level .

Other forms of discipline I used was taking away something they loved eg game boy, it might have been 24 hours and upto a week.

I always stuck to their punishment. The biggest mistake a parent can make is to backdown on a punishment

I believe by giving a child discipline, routine, and plenty of love and hugs will help them in their adult life

I also never smacked but they did have time out if they tested me.

I believe when you talk to a child about what they did wrong you need to come down to their level before talking . I'm talking eye level .

Other forms of discipline I used was taking away something they loved eg game boy, it might have been 24 hours and upto a week.

I always stuck to their punishment. The biggest mistake a parent can make is to backdown on a punishment

I believe by giving a child discipline, routine, and plenty of love and hugs will help them in their adult life
You’ve provided a wonderful role model for your children and grandchildren! I have no doubt they all love you for it. 🥰

View attachment 32911

2. Discarding Food Rules

View attachment 32912

View attachment 32913

Key Takeaways

No wonder there is no self-discipline around nowadays. Zero.........
Thank heavens my child-rearing days are over.
The same applies to work.... if I had to employ half the deadbeats around at some stage I would be had up for m.u.rxxx

I raised my kids like Suzanne Rose did. Structure,discipline,consequences. I think I slapped my daughter once in her life and I stand by it to this day. My son was a monster child,bless him,with countless behavioural issues but we persevered and now have two of the nicest young adults you’d ever meet. I’m so proud of them.
im still in shock over this new thing trending about ASKING PERMISSION before changing a baby’s nappy???? What the hell??? Who comes up with this nonsense? SMH. I’m too old for this crap

View attachment 32911

2. Discarding Food Rules

View attachment 32912

View attachment 32913

Key Takeaways

I am a 69 year old mum of 4 and Grandmother of 10, and I'm with this ladies thinking. When I had my 2 older children (now 49 and 47 respectively) I attended a positive parenting program which was run by a Catholic nun in my parish who had a social work degree. Best thing I did! Broke the cycle of (tough, and may I add sometimes traumatising love), done a lot during the baby boomer years, and I have 4 adult well adjusted off spring who have well behaved children of their own (our 10 grandchildren) without the need of all the usual patterns of behaviour modification that some parents think should be done, but don't necessarily work with a positive outcome..

Reactions: 52-KID

View attachment 32911

2. Discarding Food Rules

View attachment 32912

View attachment 32913

Key Takeaways

What a crock…the problem with kids these days they get away with MURDER an because and they will the do not now right from wron..EVERY ANIMAL IN THE WORLD CHASTISES THERE CHILDREN…accept a human …HOW DUMB ARE WE‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️