Mystery brands quietly invade shelves as supermarkets create this stealthy move

In the bustling aisles of your local supermarket, a quiet transformation is taking place.

Products that seem familiar yet are strangely unaffiliated with the big-name brands we've grown to trust are sneaking onto shelves.

These 'phantom brands', as they've come to be known, are the supermarket's stealthy approach to capturing more of the market without drawing attention to their own label origins.

Phantom brands are essentially products owned by supermarket chains but designed to look like they're from independent companies.

They often have attractive packaging and competitive pricing, but they make no mention of being supermarket-owned.

shutterstock_2443380343.jpg
Supermarkets are revamping their home brand products with their ‘phantom brands’. Credit: Shutterstock

Gary Mortimer, a retail researcher from the Queensland University of Technology, discussed this phenomenon with 2GB's Chris O'Keefe.

‘When you think about certain products you buy from the supermarket, things like baby food, dog food, shampoos or hand sanitisers, you don't particularly want to have a Coles or Woolworths or IGA brand plastered across it,’ he said.

Mortimer added that home brands have traditionally been associated with lower quality, forcing supermarkets to find a middle ground.

‘You'll still have your Coke, your Arnott's Tim Tam, Cadbury,’ he said.

‘The big brands are never going to disappear, you'll have your plain generic brand – your supermarket brand—and another brand that sits in the middle.’

The introduction of ALDI to the Australian market has been a game-changer. ALDI doesn't sell products branded with its own name.

Instead, it offers phantom brands such as 'Belmont' ice cream, 'Radiance' cleaning products, and 'Lacura' skincare.

‘They've improved the quality, ALDI has certainly legitimised private labelling in Australia. It's forced other players to lift their game,’ Mortimer said.

‘When you think about eggs and breads, they're not really being shipped in from anywhere, they're made from the same producers in Australia.’

ALDI's success with private labelling has forced other supermarkets to up their game, leading to an increase in the quality and presentation of their own-brand products.

In 2016, Woolworths launched its range of phantom brands, and Coles followed in 2020 with brands like 'Wild Tides' tuna and 'KOI' toiletries.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian supermarkets are introducing 'phantom brands' with packaging that omits any clear indication of being supermarket-owned.
  • These brands, which often resemble private labels, are produced under licence for supermarkets and are strategically designed to fill a middle market.
  • Retail expert Gary Mortimer highlighted the impact of Aldi on the Australian market, leading other supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths to improve their home brand strategies.
  • ALDI has notably traded in phantom brands without using 'ALDI' branding, influencing other retailers to adopt similar practices for products ranging from food to toiletries.
Have you noticed these phantom brands in your local supermarket? Do you feel they offer good value, or do you prefer to stick with the brands you know? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
I thought comments were supposed to be a friendly bit of banter. It seems not so in some cases. They are getting a tiddly bit 'Tatty" at times. I'm definitely not a "Prude'" by any means what-so ever, as I can swear as well as anyone. I can see the humour in it, but I really don't think that the "F" word should (shud) be expressed.

In my employment, I've witnessed life's reality in the complete devasting "Raw" which has completely devastated families to the fullest in every meaning way imaginable to say the least, as the same with my co-workers.

Some drop kick had a shot at my cute short way of saying things in how I was expressing myself & my apparent ageing. It did give me a bit of a laugh. I was trying to mimmic & be like the younguns of today in how they communicate. But some one apparently didn't approve of my vocabulary. So, now on, I'll be more correct in how I post in the future. Very sorry about (abt) that.

In reply to an an old post & comments, yes, I'm now catagorised into the older brigade like many other friendlies, where we do remember 'Coppers, Tray Bits, Zacs, Deeners, Florins, Blue Bags & Bricks".

Ha Ha, as we recall, "The Good Old Days".