Mystery brands quietly invade shelves as supermarkets create this stealthy move

In the bustling aisles of your local supermarket, a quiet transformation is taking place.

Products that seem familiar yet are strangely unaffiliated with the big-name brands we've grown to trust are sneaking onto shelves.

These 'phantom brands', as they've come to be known, are the supermarket's stealthy approach to capturing more of the market without drawing attention to their own label origins.

Phantom brands are essentially products owned by supermarket chains but designed to look like they're from independent companies.

They often have attractive packaging and competitive pricing, but they make no mention of being supermarket-owned.

shutterstock_2443380343.jpg
Supermarkets are revamping their home brand products with their ‘phantom brands’. Credit: Shutterstock

Gary Mortimer, a retail researcher from the Queensland University of Technology, discussed this phenomenon with 2GB's Chris O'Keefe.

‘When you think about certain products you buy from the supermarket, things like baby food, dog food, shampoos or hand sanitisers, you don't particularly want to have a Coles or Woolworths or IGA brand plastered across it,’ he said.

Mortimer added that home brands have traditionally been associated with lower quality, forcing supermarkets to find a middle ground.

‘You'll still have your Coke, your Arnott's Tim Tam, Cadbury,’ he said.

‘The big brands are never going to disappear, you'll have your plain generic brand – your supermarket brand—and another brand that sits in the middle.’

The introduction of ALDI to the Australian market has been a game-changer. ALDI doesn't sell products branded with its own name.

Instead, it offers phantom brands such as 'Belmont' ice cream, 'Radiance' cleaning products, and 'Lacura' skincare.

‘They've improved the quality, ALDI has certainly legitimised private labelling in Australia. It's forced other players to lift their game,’ Mortimer said.

‘When you think about eggs and breads, they're not really being shipped in from anywhere, they're made from the same producers in Australia.’

ALDI's success with private labelling has forced other supermarkets to up their game, leading to an increase in the quality and presentation of their own-brand products.

In 2016, Woolworths launched its range of phantom brands, and Coles followed in 2020 with brands like 'Wild Tides' tuna and 'KOI' toiletries.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian supermarkets are introducing 'phantom brands' with packaging that omits any clear indication of being supermarket-owned.
  • These brands, which often resemble private labels, are produced under licence for supermarkets and are strategically designed to fill a middle market.
  • Retail expert Gary Mortimer highlighted the impact of Aldi on the Australian market, leading other supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths to improve their home brand strategies.
  • ALDI has notably traded in phantom brands without using 'ALDI' branding, influencing other retailers to adopt similar practices for products ranging from food to toiletries.
Have you noticed these phantom brands in your local supermarket? Do you feel they offer good value, or do you prefer to stick with the brands you know? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yesterday in Coles l did notice some items l wanted to purchase had tickets saying reduced to clear. Bummer l thought because they had all gone. I am hoping this is the reason they will come back under generic names.
Kind to all Vicki

what scares me most is how much PFAS is in everything.
It is important to note that there are thousands of variations in PFAS chemicals, which can make them hard to study. But the research conducted to date reveals possible links between human exposures to certain PFAS and some adverse health outcomes.

Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) have been around for over 70 years but lo and behold, they have only come under the spotlight in the past couple of years. Remember when Teflon frying pans came out? Propellants in aerosol cans? Medical and optical applications? The list is endless. How many people have died due to direct exposure to PFAS? You could probably count them on a fingerless hand.

The research into the effect on PFAS is in its infancy. Scaremongering is provided through the "potential" effects and "possible" links from people who should know better.

National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS), May 2024.

Thank you! I have bought a few of those brands, knowing full well they were Woolworths owned.
I bought Vevelle a year ago because they are lovely facial tissues, and tried them because of the price. You'd be fortunate today to get them 10 cents cheaper than Kleenex.
Kleenex at COLES: $2.60
Kleenex at Blooms Chemist: $2.50
Panamax 100: $2.99
Blooms also give a Rewards discount, which is better than Flybuys.
Just sayin' ... pays to shop around and know stuff!

I was sure I was losing my mind.
I have a pattern involved in my trips to Coles supermarket.
Lately my staples are moving to a different part of the store with out notice.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Meanwhile I’ve noticed Aldi discontinuing more of their private brand products and adding more brand name products to their shelves.

I bought Vevelle a year ago because they are lovely facial tissues, and tried them because of the price. You'd be fortunate today to get them 10 cents cheaper than Kleenex.
Kleenex at COLES: $2.60
Kleenex at Blooms Chemist: $2.50
Panamax 100: $2.99
Blooms also give a Rewards discount, which is better than Flybuys.
Just sayin' ... pays to shop around and know stuff!
go to aldi. if your fussy don't bother.

Reactions: Ingot
go to aldi. if your fussy don't bother.
Where we live Coles is a 3 min walk.
Aldi (2 stores) 10 min +/- traffic delays, by car.
I reckon saving 10 cents doesn't justify cranking up the Hyundai.

But I take your point.
It's time I re-checked Von Aldi-Schneider again for price comparisons.

There are other reasons Coles is a preferable outlet to shop, despite a small saving.

How many people have died of direct PFAS poisoning?
Probably none ... same as for glyphosate...

My first cousin died of Lymphoma and also developed Parkinsons prior to his expiry. A link could not satisfactorily (legally) be proven, despite Lymphoma being known as "the farmer's cancer" and could be traced back to his widespread history of using glyphosate.

But in the Williamtown RAAF Base (also domestic airport for Newcastle) there was a cancer cluster of 90 people in a short period of time.
The Class action was backed by local doctors who collated the data (deaths and addresses) for the case.
Took some years, but the class action succeeded.
Significantly MORE PFAS & PFOS still exists in the soil and underground water in that area servicing bores on small acreages.

Further afield, several articles are now online showing that the water supply of most provincial cities as well as capitals, contain PFAS & PFOS
As for the danger?
Even those people drinking so-called Spring Water are not going to escape this compound.
There is no "safe" level of ingestion.

PS - There is hope:

Last edited:
Reactions: Veggiepatch