Smurfie

May 30, 2022
My Life at Sea

I was in the Merchant Navy for 37 years till my Retirement in Australia,been to many countrys over them years and the last 27 of them on Brisbane Tugs, I am married with 2 sons all grown up now been Married some 53 years to my Blind date, she was 15 when I meet her and we married January 3rd 1969...I am 2years older than she is.

I was in the Merchant Navy for 37 years till my Retirement in Australia,been to many countrys over them years and the last 27 of them on Brisbane Tugs, I am married with 2 sons all grown up now been Married some 53 years to my Blind date, she was 15 when I meet her and we married January 3rd 1969...I am 2years older than she is.
Hello, @Smurfie ! WELCOME TO THE SDC :love: What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing this with us :D

What's the most unforgettable trip you've been to? I'm curious!

Welcome Smurfie! What a cute love story. If you don't mind sharing pictures I'd love to see one of the two of you at that age

Hello, @Smurfie ! WELCOME TO THE SDC :love: What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing this with us :D

What's the most unforgettable trip you've been to? I'm curious!
I have been in Cyclones on a ship which is frighting feeling ass the ships roll severely for hours on end,water across all decks,hoping the cargo's don't shift or the ship could go down to bottom of the oceans some ships snap inn half and sink in big seas at times.We once had water in the wheel house of one ship off Sandy Cape and we was up high too for water to reach that height is unbelievable .

• Wow
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
I have been in Cyclones on a ship which is frighting feeling ass the ships roll severely for hours on end,water across all decks,hoping the cargo's don't shift or the ship could go down to bottom of the oceans some ships snap inn half and sink in big seas at times.We once had water in the wheel house of one ship off Sandy Cape and we was up high too for water to reach that height is unbelievable .
WOW! That does sound terrifying but I find it incredibly cool at the same time. :eek:

Hi my name is Paula,My Dad was in the British Merchant Navy,he traveled all over the world.Thats how we ended up in Australia.We arrived in Melbourne in 1964 to Melbourne to a migrant camp in Brooklyn.We lived in Nissan Army Huts, bloody horrible.Then Dad got a job in Latrobe Valley Gippsland.

Just to let you all know,I live in Queensland a town called Goodna 40 klms west of Brisbane,where might you be living at ?
I am Married with two adult sons one still lives at home the other in West Australia,my youngest son has had 2 women walk out on him so no more for him....He now rich because of it too.

Reactions: paulamc52
Hi my name is Paula,My Dad was in the British Merchant Navy,he traveled all over the world.Thats how we ended up in Australia.We arrived in Melbourne in 1964 to Melbourne to a migrant camp in Brooklyn.We lived in Nissan Army Huts, bloody horrible.Then Dad got a job in Latrobe Valley Gippsland.
i also remember living in Arm,y Huts at Holland Park area in the 50's it was not good for Adults but kids we all adapt anyway of living anywhere becauseis cost us nothing when parents have to pay to keep us .

Hi Paula you are first person I have encountered that used to live in the Brooklyn Migrant Hostel amongst all the wool sheds, in summer it was a stinking crap hole the canteen used to be about 80 yards from where they used boil all the blood and bone. Nissan Huts made of wriggly tin and insulated with pale green masonite. I had to leave the Merchant navy or my family wouldn't come, needless to say I went back to sea as soon as I could. If you would like to talk further I obviously can reached here. Cheers Ed.

Hi Paula you are first person I have encountered that used to live in the Brooklyn Migrant Hostel amongst all the wool sheds, in summer it was a stinking crap hole the canteen used to be about 80 yards from where they used boil all the blood and bone. Nissan Huts made of wriggly tin and insulated with pale green masonite. I had to leave the Merchant navy or my family wouldn't come, needless to say I went back to sea as soon as I could. If you would like to talk further I obviously can reached here. Cheers Ed.
Hi Ed,Thanks for your reply. We only lived at Brooklyn Mirgrant Camp for 6 months.We moved to Yallourn,Dad got ahouse there with the job.I remember my Mam,worked at Bothwicks meatworks,yes it was a smelly place.I still live in Victoria, I've done a bit of travelling Bali ,America and of course Australia. I haven't been back to my roots to bloody cold, maybe one day.How about you? Regards Paula.

Hi Ed,Thanks for your reply. We only lived at Brooklyn Mirgrant Camp for 6 months.We moved to Yallourn,Dad got ahouse there with the job.I remember my Mam,worked at Bothwicks meatworks,yes it was a smelly place.I still live in Victoria, I've done a bit of travelling Bali ,America and of course Australia. I haven't been back to my roots to bloody cold, maybe one day.How about you? Regards Paula.
Same here arrived at the hostel in April 58 and left in October, as soon as I could I went back to sea. Although I lived in the states and New Zealand then came back here in 80 and worked on the coast here till I retired. Only the other I was looking at my old hometown didn't recognise it some of the old streets have disappeared the harbour is three times the size. When I Left there were ninety-three pubs, God knows how many are left. Cheers Ed