Can't say that was my childhood. First time I watched TV was the moon landing, when I was 14.
*At school, no money for TV at home.

I was over 21 when VHS arrived in Australia.

Reactions: mOiOz
Can't say that was my childhood. First time I watched TV was the moon landing, when I was 14.
Oh yes, similar - which brought back another flashback - listening to Inagaddadavida on 8 track! haha

Almost the same age as me... and we had no TV then - watched it at school.

Reactions: Knell
the dispair when you couldn't rewind the tape back on. Also the music cassettes being chewed up by the car stereo. Woeful days.
the music cassettes in the car seemed to happen more regularly than the VHS tapes to me anyway.....bloody nuisance to say the very least....singing along whilst driving is always enjoyable, well for the singer maybe but not necessarily for the other passengers in the car. 😂😉

Been there done that and sat and spent ages fixing that by careful prying the tangle out and rewinding. fond memories of ironing out the kinks by way of swatches of an old ironing board cover sandwhiching the tape and a few seconds under the iron and lots and lots of winding - NOT! Then they invented the type of VCR that did less of the tangles leaving that privilege for the cassettes - saved the precious tapes though and lost almost no pic or sound if careful enough.

If all else failed - splice tape fixed it.

If all else failed - splice tape fixed it.
Yes, yes and more yes! How many "valuable" recordings were restored with this method!? Made myself a guide to feed either end of the cassette tape then cut at a 45 degree angle. Getting rid of the crinkles was a pain in the butt though! Just cut it out and lose a few seconds of recording.

Sorry - never heard of Barton et al mentioned above.
I do recall The Shadow (knows) and his evil chuckle; Billy Bunter and the lads at Greyfriars; and others of this ilk which unfortunately have slipped from my aging memory.