Mushroom Sauce + bonus how to cook a good steak

Hubby and most of my kids love this gravy. It's one of those that they keep wanting to dip their fingers in.

I use this gravy with Steak but you can use it with chicken, sausages, Schnitzels ect . If you make it for chicken use chicken stock.

Serves 2
Screenshot_20240128_085458_Gallery.jpg

Ingredients​

MUSHROOMS:​

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp butter , unsalted
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic , finely minced 1 large cloves
  • 200g mushrooms , thinly sliced ( use your fav, I use button )
  • Pinch of salt
  • Small shake black pepper

GRAVY:​

• 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 1 tbsp worstershire sauce
  • 1 cups beef stock , store or homemade
  • Pinch black pepper
  • Salt , to taste

Instructions​

COOK MUSHROOMS:​

Screenshot_20240128_085452_Gallery.jpg
  • Heat the olive oil in a frypan over medium-high heat, then add butter and let it melt.
  • Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 mins. Add the salt and pepper, then continue to cook for another 2 mins until most mushrooms are becoming golden. Then add the garlic and cook until mushrooms are fully golden, and remove to a plate.

GRAVY:​

• Lower heat to medium. In the same pan, melt the butter.
  • Add flour and stir continuously for 1 1/2 minutes so it doesn't burn.
  • While stirring, slowly pour in the beef stock. This should avoid lumps in the gravy. If there are lumps, just whisk vigorously to dissolve them. Add worstershire sauce and stir.
  • Cook until it thickens to a thin-syrup consistency. Stir every now and then at first, then more regularly as the gravy thickens so it doesn't burn on the base of the pan, only takes a few minutes
  • Stir in cooked mushrooms, cook for a further 1 minute. Taste and add more salt if needed.
  • Serve on top of steak ect

Screenshot_20240128_085516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_085504_Gallery.jpg

How to Cook The Perfect Steak
  • Let Steak Come to Room Temperature

A cold cut of meat hitting a very hot pan will cause the steak to become tough and chewy. Bringing the meat to room temp will allow the muscle fibers to relax, which helps the steak to cook more evenly and prevent a loss of moisture. 30 minutes is a good ammount of time, depending on room temperature.

Bash Your Meat

Using a meat tenderiser, bash your meat on both sides.

Seasoning Steak

Pre-seasoning steak with salt and black pepper on each side enhances the natural beefy flavor of the meat. Hold your hand at least 6" above the steak and evenly distribute ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper on both sides. While the added height may look like a technique that chefs just use to impress guests, it actually has a purpose—the extra height allows the salt and pepper granules to separate and fall in one even layer across the surface of the steak. Do the same with herbs n spices you are

How to Pan Sear a Steak​

Using the correct pan is the key to achieving an even char. A cast iron pan is brilliant to cooking steak.
Heat the cast iron pan / frypan on medium high heat until it'smoking or hot. Get your fingers wet and shake them over the pan: the water droplets should evaporate immediately. When your skillet is ripping hot, add 2 tablespoons of oil, like vegetable, canola, or grapeseed oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the seasoned steak to the center of the pan, carefully laying it away from you to avoid splashing hot oil. Cook until deeply browned on one side. For a medium steak, this should take about 3½ minutes. Flip the steak and cook until deeply browned on the other side, another 3½ to 4 minutes. Depending on how well-done you like your steak.

Flipping the steak too often, and more than once, will prevent the perfect sear from forming. If you try to lift the steak and there's some resistance, step back and let it cook a little longer. The steak will easily release from the pan once it has browned evenly on one side. In addition, moving the steak around the pan frequently also risks losing some of the meat's prized juices. I know it's tempting but don't do it.

Additions to a Steak if not adding mushroom gravy

Basting the steak with melted butter, as well as herbs like garlic, rosemary, and thyme, will add an unbeatable boost of flavor. During the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking, add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 smashed garlic cloves, and a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary to the pan. Carefully tip the pan towards you so the butter pools on one side. Using a large spoon (a medium-sized serving spoon works well), continuously spoon the melted butter over the steak. Moving the butter nonstop evenly distributes the fat and prevents it from burning (the butter should stay foamy in the pan, which indicates that it's not burning).

COOKING TIMES
  1. Blue: 1 min each side.
  2. Rare: 1½ mins per side.
  3. Medium rare: 2 mins per side.
  4. Medium: About 2¼ mins per side.
  5. Well-done steak: Cook for about 4-5 mins each side, depending on thickness.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Really,

Here is a recipe for Diane sauce that I use, found on the BBC Food website, if you look, many others contain mushrooms. Is everyone else wrong?
Ingredients:
  • Olive oil
  • 2 banana shallots, finely diced
  • 180g/6¼oz button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, grated
  • Knob of unsalted butter
  • 160ml/5½fl oz good brandy or cognac
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 300ml/½ pint double cream
  • 60g/2¼oz fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Who puts Cognac or brandy in Diane Sauce ???

Reactions: Littleboy8
It's 30 deg here but tomorrow is 40 deg and Monday 38 deg .

My son will be this fella up in 2 hours so he can put it in a commercial fridge.

Have you cleaned the filters in your air-conditioning
Not my problem it’s the landlords I’ll talk to the estate agent when she comes on Wednesday.😊it looks like the one you’ve got.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
There will definitely be no mushrooms with this fella . It's lamb on the Spit tomorrow and I'm trying to keep it cool under air-conditioning and ice
View attachment 40453
Lamb and Greek cuisine go together. I've never cooked a Greek dish. Maybe that certain someone will like it as long as it doesn't contain seafood.

Reactions: Suzanne rose