Mum's inventive, budget-friendly trick for making DIY garden beds gets praised on social media

One way to save money is to grow your own vegetables. Planting a small garden in your backyard can provide you with fresh produce all year long (with some seasonal planning).

You'll save money on groceries, and you'll get the satisfaction of eating food that you've grown yourself!

Vegetable gardens can be as small or as large as you want them to be. Even a few pots on a balcony can yield a bounty of fresh produce.

If you're worried that you might be spending a fortune to renovate a small space in your backyard to plant your vegetables, then we've got news for you!

A mum has stunned gardening enthusiasts after she revealed her simple, budget-friendly DIY trick for making garden beds.

Sharing her inventive tip on Facebook group Kmart Mums Australia, the woman said that she was able to transform two kiddie pools into garden beds.

aR9MypLqAHXiignnV_Q2mRf7VSb8TPlTga123vmPUciLwJMSVhcRIDmUdlZJK_slVJr6OY-Dn3r0kqXHwTf3IcIBwv5uilxZzeNmVkubrWWKIeY8JtTMGQ_juiQps30gJtFoG23BEIF8SfKY

One mum has stunned social media after she revealed how she transformed a pair of kiddie pools into garden beds. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Mums Australia.

"Turned these pools into garden beds 😊 Twin pack for $27 (for those who want to buy). Drilled some holes in for drainage. Each pool took 2 bags of soil," the mum wrote in her post, along with a photo of the incredible garden setup.

"Also featured are the coloured stepping blocks. One very happy plant-loving toddler!"

The results were impressive, soit's not surprising that the post went viral and racked up over 490 likes.

Other members of the Facebook group were also quick to compliment the mum on her clever idea.

One commenter said: "Can I steal your idea, please? It's a must-do!"

Another said: "Fabulous idea!"

pzWkVm7xS6k5sCu15wPH4H0i9qSh_b5QGfBq0wHCCl5PbVTfmcYASzIHp89Aebu_rAooQEXWgPkxi0tElyFDDh0-TeIo2Utp6N4fvfWQSi0doJnCQ_EvGHtgtf6lSfEYZbStZDLrh7Vr92_C

The mum used the $27 Water n Sand Pool Set, which comes with two kiddie pools. Credit: Kmart.

Several users claimed that they have been doing the trick and claimed that they have grown a variety of vegetables in their DIY garden beds, including beetroot, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, zucchini and cucumbers.

One person shared: "I grew basil, parsley, lettuce I had quite a few. I collected them from the verge pick-up. Most veggies will grow in them so long as they don’t have deep roots.”

"It was the start for me of a bigger veggie patch, have fun!"

Other group members contradicted this claim, saying that root crops such as potatoes can be grown in this type of garden bed.

Other members applauded the mum for her effort to upcycle the kiddie pools — which they noted are often thrown away.

"These kiddie pools are often thrown away too so could definitely repurpose a freebie this way too," one member wrote.

This is a clever and inexpensive way to create garden beds, and it's perfect for those who don't have a lot of space.

Will you give this tip a go? Better yet, do you know other tricks for making an inexpensive DIY garden bed? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Polystyrene broccoli boxes are even cheaper - usually free from fruit and veg shops. They are insulated when mulched, and therefore require far less watering.

Reactions: Jennylolo
Polystyrene broccoli boxes are even cheaper - usually free from fruit and veg shops. They are insulated when mulched, and therefore require far less watering.
something I haven't tried yet. I use them for tools and paint cans so much lighter to lift as they weigh next to nothing. Must hunt some up for more veggies.

Reactions: MC12