Mum's 'disgusting' fairy bread recipe sparks outrage among Aussies

Aussies are renowned for being a little picky about our cuisine – particularly when it comes to sweets and anything gooey, crunchy, and overall, deliciously sweet. We love our afternoon ‘treats’ and are not ashamed to say yes to them every once in a while.

While the rest of the world may not understand our sweet cravings, there is one Australian tradition they are aware of: fairy bread. Fairy bread is an Australian icon. It's one of those snacks that we all remember from our childhoods, and something we love to share with our kids (or grandkids!) today.

But one mum from the US has sparked outrage among Aussies after she shared her own version of the iconic treat – and let's just say it didn't go down well.

One American mum and TikTok influencer Alicia Dougherty created a ‘fairy bread monstrosity’ during a paid partnership with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

For those of you who don’t know, fairy bread is made by spreading butter on white bread slices, sprinkling it with hundreds and thousands, and then cutting the pieces diagonally into triangles. The best part about it? It’s made for everyone to share.

It’s such a simple snack, yet so delicious, and so quintessentially Australian.

fair4.JPG
What ‘fairy bread’ is supposed to look like according to Aussies. Credit: Wandercooks

Alicia, who posts videos under the name 'Dougherty Dozen' on TikTok, showed her fans how she makes an afternoon treat for her 12 kids. In this particular clip, she made ants on a log (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins), and apple smiles. But it was her version of fairy bread that really got people talking.

Alicia started by slicing some white bread horizontally (which is already sacrilege), and then she spread brown Cinnamon Toast Crunch on the half-slices. She then covered the pieces with sprinkles before serving them up to her kids – much to the horror of Aussies everywhere who saw her video online.

fairy.JPG
Many Aussies are outraged by the ‘butchered’ treat. Credit: doughertydozen on TikTok

This video has over 500,000 views and more than a hundred comments. ‘I am disgusted as an Australian – ruined a perfectly good snack,’ one person wrote.

Another person said: ‘As an Australian, I’m both offended and disgusted by her actions in this video.’ Yikes!

‘She ruined fairy bread,’ a third person commented. While another user expressed their anger saying, ‘How in the hell could anyone f*** up fairy bread?’.

Others lamented over how ‘unappetising’ the cinnamon-smeared snack looks. ‘Smeared baby p**p with a crazy amount of sprinkles on top. I get trying new fun things, but it’s always to excess,’ someone wrote.

‘Excuse me while I go vomit,’ added another.

You can find Alicia’s TikTok video below:

Key Takeaways

• American TikTok influencer and mum-of-twelve Alicia Dougherty has been slammed by Australians for her ‘butchered’ version of fairy bread.
  • Fairy bread is usually made by buttering white bread, adding sprinkles, and then cutting it into triangles.
  • Alicia’s version involved cutting the bread in half before scooping on a generous helping of the brown Cinnamon Toast Crunch spread.
  • Many Australians were outraged by the ‘butchered’ snack, criticising Dougherty for her use of the Cinnamon Toast Crunch spread and for adding too much sugar.
Well, there you have it, dear members. Are you also ‘offended’ by Alicia’s version of fairy bread? Or do you think people are overreacting online? Share your thoughts in the comments section!

Sponsored
Aussies are renowned for being a little picky about our cuisine – particularly when it comes to sweets and anything gooey, crunchy, and overall, deliciously sweet. We love our afternoon ‘treats’ and are not ashamed to say yes to them every once in a while.

While the rest of the world may not understand our sweet cravings, there is one Australian tradition they are aware of: fairy bread. Fairy bread is an Australian icon. It's one of those snacks that we all remember from our childhoods, and something we love to share with our kids (or grandkids!) today.

But one mum from the US has sparked outrage among Aussies after she shared her own version of the iconic treat – and let's just say it didn't go down well.

One American mum and TikTok influencer Alicia Dougherty created a ‘fairy bread monstrosity’ during a paid partnership with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

For those of you who don’t know, fairy bread is made by spreading butter on white bread slices, sprinkling it with hundreds and thousands, and then cutting the pieces diagonally into triangles. The best part about it? It’s made for everyone to share.

View attachment 7535
What ‘fairy bread’ is supposed to look like according to Aussies. Credit: Wandercooks

Alicia, who posts videos under the name 'Dougherty Dozen' on TikTok, showed her fans how she makes an afternoon treat for her 12 kids. In this particular clip, she made ants on a log (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins), and apple smiles. But it was her version of fairy bread that really got people talking.

Alicia started by slicing some white bread horizontally (which is already sacrilege), and then she spread brown Cinnamon Toast Crunch on the half-slices. She then covered the pieces with sprinkles before serving them up to her kids – much to the horror of Aussies everywhere who saw her video online.

View attachment 7536
Many Aussies are outraged by the ‘butchered’ treat. Credit: doughertydozen on TikTok

This video has over 500,000 views and more than a hundred comments. ‘I am disgusted as an Australian – ruined a perfectly good snack,’ one person wrote.

Another person said: ‘As an Australian, I’m both offended and disgusted by her actions in this video.’ Yikes!

‘She ruined fairy bread,’ a third person commented. While another user expressed their anger saying, ‘How in the hell could anyone f*** up fairy bread?’.

Others lamented over how ‘unappetising’ the cinnamon-smeared snack looks. ‘Smeared baby p**p with a crazy amount of sprinkles on top. I get trying new fun things, but it’s always to excess,’ someone wrote.

Key Takeaways

• American TikTok influencer and mum-of-twelve Alicia Dougherty has been slammed by Australians for her ‘butchered’ version of fairy bread.
  • Fairy bread is usually made by buttering white bread, adding sprinkles, and then cutting it into triangles.
  • Alicia’s version involved cutting the bread in half before scooping on a generous helping of the brown Cinnamon Toast Crunch spread.
  • Many Australians were outraged by the ‘butchered’ snack, criticising Dougherty for her use of the Cinnamon Toast Crunch spread and for adding too much sugar.
Well, there you have it, dear members. Are you also ‘offended’ by Alicia’s version of fairy bread? Or do you think people are overreacting online? Share your thoughts in the comments section!

I certianly won't be trying that anytime soon, will stick to the origional but having said that, what ever floats her boat after all it takes all differnet kinds of people to make this wonderful world of ours go round and we all have different taste buds.

I certianly won't be trying that anytime soon, will stick to the origional but having said that, what ever floats her boat after all it takes all differnet kinds of people to make this wonderful world of ours go round and we all have different taste buds.
Disgusting but as an "influencer" LOL, it has generated 1/2 a million views for cinnamon crunch @ whatever rate per view the poster gets?
I guess that any one who can eat maple syrup with bacon could find fairy bread with cinnamon edible also.

So what - it’s up to her if she likes that but doesn’t stop anyone from doing it the Aussie way does it? Stupid!

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

What a storm in a teacup .I remember Mum making it for my sister and I back in the 50's and 60's at Everton Park in Brisbane . I am quite sure the kids who ate it the way it was made in this story , loved it .

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

Is that the most important thing on people's tiny minds? I despair.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

oh boo-hoo!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

what a bunch of idiotic morons, you dont have to go and make now do you. At least the cinnamon is good for you as it helps by thinning your blood somewhat, I will happily try that but with wholemeal bread only...

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

Alicia's doing a lot to satisfy 12 children with her 'butchered' snacks etc but she is also giving them a lot of goodness. I see it as a Mum filling her kid's tums with nutrients before sending them out for the afternoon play, Bloody lucky kids actually to have a mum caring enough to make it all at home and not send them out with pockets of change to go buy fish'n'chips, pies, and bakery delights as they do here. Maybe you should ask her for pictures of her kids and measure the obesity degrees between her and your kids......different strokes for different folks, MATES

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricci

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

Every country has it's own idea's about different food uses and tastes who cares how they make it

• Love

View attachment 7535

View attachment 7536

Key Takeaways

I've lived in Australia since I was 4 years old and I have to admit that I hate Fairy Bread. Never could see the attraction but then I don't like sprinkles or hundreds and thousands. But what a boring old world we'd live in if we all did and liked the exact same things.

• Love